Training for golf

bille

Hi all

I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations or programs for golfers. I have been going to the gym for a year now, mainly doing Kettlebell circuits and some weight lifting, but I haven't seen too many results in terms of getting more distance of the tee yet. Just thought I'd throw it out there if anyone had any ideas.

Cheers.

For golf, gaining distance off the tee is not really related to the gym or strength. Sure, there are big guys that hit it 300+ but usually they're also so inflexible that they never hit the fairway.

The two longest guys that I know are both skinny as hell and 6 ft 3 or so. They would struggle to bench 60kgs srs. Being tall is a huge advantage as you can create more speed easily.

In terms of strength training, I would focus on legs primarily rather than the upper body as the lower body is the foundation from which the upper body draws it's power. If the base is unstable, then it will be difficult to create a consistent swing. Do squats, lunges and focus on activating the glutes.

But the main thing is technique, specifically on creating lag on the downswing. That's the key point to creating clubhead speed. The thing here though is that focusing too much on creating lag can cause your hands to become over-active which can become really inconsistent. Unless you are extremely co-ordinated, you want to keep the hands as passive as possible for the most consistency. You would much rather be playing from the fairway 120 metres out than behind a tree 80 metres out.

Work on rotational flexibility, around the torso and your hamstrings/glutes because if they are tight, they will pull on your upper body and you will not be able to produce maximal torque.

In the end, how far you hit if off the tee doesn't matter. Sure, it's cool to be hitting wedge into the green while others are hitting 8 iron in. But how does it feel when you're signing off a 80 while the guy who you were outdriving by 50 metres is handing in a 70? Focus on hitting the fairways rather than hitting it as far as you can.

dunno specifically about golf but isn't practicing weighted versions of golf swing just detrimental to progress? when you are on the course (or field or green or whatever) you are swinging all day so when you go to the gym don't you want to be working the opposing muscle set to help bring balance to the body?

edit : found vid from elliot hulse on it who will probably explain it better than i ever could lol

Some great answers here - much appreciated. Leeroid - I'd be very interested what kind of training your brother does. 

I know it doesn't really matter how far you hit it off the tee, but being able to smash it is one of the things I really enjoy about the game. Since I am going to the gym anyway, I might as well do something that helps with that. Funny enough I have been following Bret Contreras blog - he is the glute guy. 

FOTR - great video, very much agree with what they guy says. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you want more length off the tee, just smash heavy weights, but try to maintain flexibility. Then all you have to do with your golf swing is practice hitting it harder and you will eventually find a good rythm and timing to control the accuracy. Trust me, I am a representative golfer. I have added easily 40m to my drives by doing this and still hit it straight as hell.

Don't listen to leeroids last paragraph. I have completely changed the way i play golf by smashing it long. I make a lot more birdies and it's way more fun!! I know leeroids brother. I hit it 50m past him and still sign for 70 or less.