Tua v Ustinov

Pseudonym

If Tua really has got that hunger back like he did when he squared off against Cameron, he should blow through Alexander. 

Alexanders height and reach advantage has the potential to pose a problem for Tua, but I haven't seen anything from the guy that would indicate that this would be effective against an in-form Tuaman. Tua's short too... Ustinov isn't a push over but punching down that far isn't easy either. David shouldn't have any problems weaving and positioning himself for counter punches etc... using his height as an advantage. 

In any case, I've seen Alexander basically soaking up punches from fighters a lot lesser than David, leaving himself open for the sort of thing David is famous for time and time again... we all know David is capable of making better fighters look silly too.

Yes I'm a long time Tua fan, love the guy and really want to see a return to form with a convincing win. I think we will see that here. 

Definitely got my interest, could be his last shot so very keen to see what being back with Lee Parore (Conditioning) and his last minute Aussie trainer Dave Hedgcock has done.

As with most Kiwis I'd love to see Tua win convincingly and get a shot at another Title fight.

Would love to see him win as well but hes a fair way off being fighting fit at the moment. Long way to go with not alot of time.

Rumour has it that Ustinov hasnt done alot of training recently either....

It looks like he may have more time to get cracking ..... sadly at the same time though..... 

http://www.3news.co.nz/David-Tua-injured-fight-against-Alexander-Ustinov-could-be-postponed/tabid/415/articleID/307891/Default.aspx

Will be a interesting fight but Tua has always struggled a bit with the taller fighters.

While I have always rated Tua, since his Shane Cameron fight he has been disappointing. I consider him as a bit of a journeyman now. He has said that he will continue to fight even with a loss against Ustinov. You just get the feeling he is now doing it for the money rather than for the necessary reasons to make him a contender again.

I can't see him winning but I hope I'm wrong.

I seem to be following Joseph Parker with more interest these days although I will be sceptical with his management if they put him in the ring with Shane Cameron anytime soon. 

Parker won't be rushed. He's supposed to be fighting Afa Tatupu on Tuas undercard which is a pretty good option IMHO.  Tatupu is the New Zealand National Boxing Federation Heavyweight Champion but has lost to the likes of Junior Pati and Joey Wilson but did manage to get one back against Pati last time out. 

m a  huge fan of Tuas, have been as long as I can remember but I think he is heading for his first knock out this time. He's had way too many lay offs.. And I think that was clearly showin in his last few fights how ring rusty he really is.. Added to that the guy he's fighting is a monster.. And his new trainer isnt even a boxer.. He's an ex kickboxer..  And Tua unlike a lot of other boxers that even through the lay offs keep training, keep their hand in, Tua spends his time at Buger king..

What the hell is Tua thinking.. If Monty Barret made him look bad, imagine what Alexander's going to do to Tua... 

I have nothing but respect for Tua but I think hes' washed up and I dont believe he's going to last this fight.. But then I hope like hell Im wrong... I hope like hell he makes me look stupid with my comments.. But I wouldnt be honest if I didnt say, I dont think this fight isnt going to fair to well for Tua..

Obviously want Tua to win, but he is fighting a beast! Not too sure how good shape the other guy is, but he is like a foot taller? Tua seems to be in good shape and has been training pretty hard overall.

I don't mind the fight being delayed tbh, as you want him to be in tip top shape with no excuses. Really don't want something similar to david haye happening (broken toe etc)

It will definitely be an epic fight to watch. too close to call tbh, may put some money on Tua though, I will howver see how it builds up etc!

• 2 months later...

Whew, good news. If he's in any shape like he was when he fought Cameron he stands a good chance. He seemed to let himself go again when it came to Monty.... big difference between the two in terms of form and function. 

This is a big call, but he can do it..... definately going to be a rough path but I'll be in his corner for this one (via my arm chair and a TV haha).

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any recent photos of Tua? With all this talk of his fitness, I'm curious to see what he looks like now.

The picture on the first link shows where he was at on 22nd of oct and the first couple of frames of the vid give you a fairly good idea.. He's looking good..

http://www.3news.co.nz/Full-interview-David-Tua/tabid/415/articleID/318299/Default.aspx#.UnWsKTGBoUK

This picture from the 25th also gives you a good idea..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/9324424/Boxer-David-Tua-invites-media-over-for-a-spar

big difference from back in August eh?

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Esb6WKbPoWM/David+Tua+Press+Conference/IQrZ9u_CRaX

• 2 weeks later...

Hope he actually has retired for good. It would be very sad to see him continue on. 

In recent years I believe he has lost his power. He landed his left hook several times and it did nothing. The Tua of yesteryear did serious damage to some of the very best with that punch.

Without a doubt NZs best boxer and a legend. Deserved a lot better from his former mangagement and deserved a world title.

Hope he actually has retired for good. It would be very sad to see him continue on. 

In recent years I believe he has lost his power. He landed his left hook several times and it did nothing. The Tua of yesteryear did serious damage to some of the very best with that punch.

Without a doubt NZs best boxer and a legend. Deserved a lot better from his former mangagement and deserved a world title.

kudos given for that post holdenman... And well said.. I just find it such a shame that he's retiring with so much debt.. It would have been nice to see him come out of this wealthy. God knows he deserves it..

What a shame he was so trusting of his former management.. :-(