Kiwi slang thread

Sarah

Please insert any such slang. It would be very appreciated :D

What I know (extremely minimal) :oops:

Bach - is a holiday home or cottage

Smoko - is break time

bonnet - hood of the car

boot - the trunk

I've heard and seen the phrase "as" after a lot of things.

Oh yeah, heaps. I think it means a lot.

I've heard and seen the phrase "as" after a lot of things.

I suppose you know that "[something] as" generally means "very [something]". It seems to be a comparison where we leave out the thing the subject is compared to. So instead of saying "fat as a pig" we would simply say "fat as".

This dictionary seems pretty comprehensive:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sarah/content/slang.html

Just for academic interest, the term given on that page as "half pie" should actually be written as "half pai", pai being the Maori word for "good".

It's so hard to think of New Zealandese words because it is hard to remember what is unique to us and what others also use, but here are a few more:

Crib: batch in the South Island

Fulla: fellow, man, person

Sweet/sweet as: good, fine, I agree

Scarfie: Dunedin student

Tucka: food

Grub: food

Scrub: weed-like plants that grow on untended farmland

Cuzzies: relatives

Barnie: argument or fight

Bomb: old, unreliable car

Bro: general term to address a male with

Maimai: duck bind

Shotie: shotgun

Whanau (pronounced faa-now): (from Maori) extended family, close group

Mana: (from Maori) prestige, social standing, how well you're thought of

buds=weed ?

I always thought "bud" referred specifically to the buds/heads of the marijuana plant.

bugger= ?? what does bugger really mean anyone know ?

It used to refer to sodomy and the people who engage in sodomy. Now it is pretty much a general and fairly innocuous swear word, a bit like "damn".

This one's intrigued me before. I know mana is a Maori word, but it seems to crop up fairly frequently in international usage too, with a very similar meaning. It seems too widespread to be a Kiwi export; could it have stemmed from an original common language at some point, or is it simply coincidence?

This one's intrigued me before. I know mana is a Maori word, but it seems to crop up fairly frequently in international usage too, with a very similar meaning. It seems too widespread to be a Kiwi export; could it have stemmed from an original common language at some point, or is it simply coincidence?

You're young. It cropse up becouse it is such a powerful word among kiwis.

noticed u was in canada Sarah. Do canadians really say "eh?" after every sentence? i have a canadian mate and we always make fun of her by adding 'eh' at the end of everything we say lol.

Lol. I guess some of us say "eh" a lot. But not at the end of every sentence. I tend to say it quite a bit, but I never noticed it until recently. When it had been pointed out. :pfft:

noticed u was in canada Sarah. Do canadians really say "eh?" after every sentence? i have a canadian mate and we always make fun of her by adding 'eh' at the end of everything we say lol.

Lol. I guess some of us say "eh" a lot. But not at the end of every sentence. I tend to say it quite a bit, but I never noticed it until recently. When it had been pointed out. :pfft:

roflberries

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...