America's Cup

shane

So what does everyone think about the america's cup I think we are coming home empty handed its a shame but its going to be a hard ask to win it and bring it home. But they have done themselves proud anyway. :grin:

I'd like Team NZ to win....but I'm kinda hoping they'll lose so they don't challenge again.

What's your reasoning Phantomb?

Tens of millions of government money.

The return for investment both in entertainment value and sporting success is simply not worth it.

I'd like Team NZ to win....but I'm kinda hoping they'll lose so they don't challenge again.

The return for investment both in entertainment value and sporting success is simply not worth it.

Fair enough, I just heard that Trevor Mallard said they will be giving ten Million to keep the syndicate alive (together) for the next challenge.

Are you serious? Forget about both of your reasons and try looking at the international exposure NZ got from this event. I'll wager more rich Europeans come to NZ on holiday now than before the Valencia Regatta.

Our boat building industry is worth a billion dollars a year in NZ, and I guarantee that amount will rise after the America's Cup.

Our Govt wouldn't chuck 35 million at a PROFESSIONAL sport without being able to measure the success of that sponsorship. A simple rule: If you can quantify the results of that sponsorship and it's a win then you do it again. Pretty simple.

The ten million Mallard has granted is going towards securing sailors for the next challenge. They must get paid somehow, otherwise we risk loosing every decent sailor to another syndicate.

I would be very interested in how much money New Zealand made from this years Americas Cup. I wouldn't have thought that they would have made $35 million. I watched the races and it seemed like we were out of our league. We won races when Alingi made big mistakes, thats all.

35 million could have helped alot of sports in this country

I would be very interested in how much money New Zealand made from this years Americas Cup. I wouldn't have thought that they would have made $35 million. I watched the races and it seemed like we were out of our league. We won races when Alingi made big mistakes, thats all.

I don't think TNZ was out of their league...we won races when alinghi made mistakes and alinghi won when we made ours...

Think about the folk that attend these events, and how much coin they have behind them. The main reason the govt puts money into the America's Cup is because it gives EXPOSURE to NZ, marketing it as a holiday destination, a great place to go sailing etc. We'll make that 35 million back in spades.

In no way were we out of our depth. When the mast snapped last time and we lost to Alinghi 5-0, that was a right royal hiding. We were out of our depth then.

This time we beat all the possible contenders, and then pushed Alinghi as much as possible. IMO our boys did us proud.

Are you serious? Forget about both of your reasons and try looking at the international exposure NZ got from this event. I'll wager more rich Europeans come to NZ on holiday now than before the Valencia Regatta.

Our boat building industry is worth a billion dollars a year in NZ, and I guarantee that amount will rise after the America's Cup.

Our Govt wouldn't chuck 35 million at a PROFESSIONAL sport without being able to measure the success of that sponsorship. A simple rule: If you can quantify the results of that sponsorship and it's a win then you do it again. Pretty simple.

The ten million Mallard has granted is going towards securing sailors for the next challenge. They must get paid somehow, otherwise we risk loosing every decent sailor to another syndicate.

But don't you get it? This tournament showed off Valencia, Spain, not New Zealand. There'd be no more reason for them to visit us because of a bunch of yachties than there would to visit the US or China. Besides, the yachting fraternity is exclusive and close-knit. If they haven't heard of New Zealand by now then they never will.

The problem with the America's Cup is that it's no longer a Nationalist competition. While we might love to harp on about "New Zealand bringing home the cup", fact remains that our best sailors are in other teams and the team that one had no Swiss nationals apart from Mr $8.8 billion Bertarelli himself.

Think of it as the NPC trying to compete with the Super 14. The government on one side - billionare tycoon on the other.

the america's cup - and dare i say it, even team NZ - is about as kiwi as the lord of the rings - ie not a all. Foreign money, foreign profits, foreign exposure... it's just easy to put an nz spin on it, because for some dumb reason new zealanders seem to feel starved of international attention. It's a game of who's got the biggest cock, but with outrageously expensive boats instead of sports cars.

But don't you get it? This tournament showed off Valencia, Spain, not New Zealand. There'd be no more reason for them to visit us because of a bunch of yachties than there would to visit the US or China. Besides, the yachting fraternity is exclusive and close-knit. If they haven't heard of New Zealand by now then they never will.

The problem with the America's Cup is that it's no longer a Nationalist competition. While we might love to harp on about "New Zealand bringing home the cup", fact remains that our best sailors are in other teams and the team that one had no Swiss nationals apart from Mr $8.8 billion Bertarelli himself.

Think of it as the NPC trying to compete with the Super 14. The government on one side - billionare tycoon on the other.

Read the Herald today...in paye tax alone, the NZ govt has already re-couped something like 22 million over four years from team NZ, meaning that nearly 2/3rds of their investment has been paid back.

I think you are missing the point here. By your logic our govt shouldn't do any promotion of NZ at all. No trade NZ which gives grants to NZ based manufacturers to explore overseas markets, no sparc funding no nothing.

Sure Valencia gets shown off, but all the branding done there by team NZ goes a long way to getting people over here. It's a sailor's paradise! And sailors generally have a lot of coin, so why not brand our country and try and attract them here. IT'S A NO BRAINER!

BTW, your rugby analogy is very wrong. The NZRU runs the NPC and has a shareholding in Super 14 ltd. They get paid by Newscorp sponsorship to have teams in the Super 14. Yachting and principally the America's Cup may be seen as a nationalist sport, but that has hardly ever been the case in it's history. It's always been about the coin, yachting, and that's fine by me. It gave us a great sporting spectacle this time around and showcased NZ as a great destination.

Re-invest I say. This tax-payer doesn't mind giving the thumbs up to help fund another challenge. As 2guns said, It'll only get wasted on other BS!

Frankly I think the public has been sold ‘a pup’via a rabid media contingent who can wait to swap a cold & drizzly NZ for the balmy Mediterranean or swan around the Viaduct in Auckland. The Oracle syndicate had more Kiwis onboard than Team (in name only) New Zealand. Alinghi had six in the winning crew. Just look at who was presented the trophy at the completion of the last race. Not it’s captain Brad Butterworth, but the syndicates ‘sugar daddy’ Bertarelli. Team New Zealand is merely a convenient banner – in reality this is a multi-national syndicate sailing out of The Royal NZ Yacht Club. That’s who it represents, the toffee nosed Auckland yacht club –not New Zealand per say. I don’t see any ‘brown faces’ in the crew. Yes, this is a unique and historic sporting event – but in reality it gleans little or no media attention unless you are domiciled in New Zealand. Who the hell understands the thing? Without elaborate computer graphics no 'run of mill Kiwi' would know what was happening. If the Government wants publicity for the country via an overseas sporting event, then sponsorship of a Tour de France cycling team would achieve far greater exposure and we already have two riders in teams there. If the Government sees benefit of backing a New Zealand teams why not throw some money at the N.Z Under 20 Football competing at the World Champs currently on in Canada. Their T.V audience is in excess to what will watch the World Cup Rugby. How many people here knew N.Z was granted hosting rights to the 2008 FIFA Woman’s U17 Tournament next year? None of you I suspect and this event, is far bigger than any yacht race. The whole thing reeks of cronyism from Helen Clark texting Dalton to seemingly ½ the state run broadcasters staff traveling business class to Valencia .So many “snouts in the trough”. I would love to see what the sailors got paid? But we the public who forked-out $34 million have no right to know that. – it’s not for you ‘plebs’ to delve into rich folk business. Cripes, we need to grow up as a nation and forget this thing. Australia seemed to get over it and their sporting achievements dwarf ours. Yes, I do feel relieved getting this off my chest!

i guess if some nzers can get a kick out of the yachting then good on them. but yeah - all the emotion and nationalism seems a bit misplaced. It's all just business and money. 'bring home the cup' my ass. Good old kiwi government - way to give millions to a bunch of really rich people.

Frankly I think the public has been sold ‘a pup’via a rabid media contingent who can wait to swap a cold & drizzly NZ for the balmy Mediterranean or swan around the Viaduct in Auckland. The Oracle syndicate had more Kiwis onboard than Team (in name only) New Zealand. Alinghi had six in the winning crew. Just look at who was presented the trophy at the completion of the last race. Not it’s captain Brad Butterworth, but the syndicates ‘sugar daddy’ Bertarelli. Team New Zealand is merely a convenient banner – in reality this is a multi-national syndicate sailing out of The Royal NZ Yacht Club. That’s who it represents, the toffee nosed Auckland yacht club –not New Zealand per say. I don’t see any ‘brown faces’ in the crew. Yes, this is a unique and historic sporting event – but in reality it gleans little or no media attention unless you are domiciled in New Zealand. Who the hell understands the thing? Without elaborate computer graphics no 'run of mill Kiwi' would know what was happening. If the Government wants publicity for the country via an overseas sporting event, then sponsorship of a Tour de France cycling team would achieve far greater exposure and we already have two riders in teams there. If the Government sees benefit of backing a New Zealand teams why not throw some money at the N.Z Under 20 Football competing at the World Champs currently on in Canada. Their T.V audience is in excess to what will watch the World Cup Rugby. How many people here knew N.Z was granted hosting rights to the 2008 FIFA Woman’s U17 Tournament next year? None of you I suspect and this event, is far bigger than any yacht race. The whole thing reeks of cronyism from Helen Clark texting Dalton to seemingly ½ the state run broadcasters staff traveling business class to Valencia .So many “snouts in the trough”. I would love to see what the sailors got paid? But we the public who forked-out $34 million have no right to know that. – it’s not for you ‘plebs’ to delve into rich folk business. Cripes, we need to grow up as a nation and forget this thing. Australia seemed to get over it and their sporting achievements dwarf ours. Yes, I do feel relieved getting this off my chest!

He does sound like cornfed :pfft: :pfft:

Bwahahaha... :D:D