Too much protein?

ohjoshua

At course we have to analyse our diets and make recommendations etc...

I was coming in with approx 200g of protein per day. one of my tutors who claims to be a nutritional expert says that I only need 160g max and Im stressing my kidneys big time.

He got this 160g figure by multiplying 1.6g per body weight. This seams like a gross simplifcation and doesnt seam to take into account how much I break down my body or even my lean mass.

any way... what are opinions on how much protein It will take to stress my kidneys?

Generally speaking the recommended amount of protein is 1g-2g per pound of bodyweight. The average amount is around 1.2-1.5g according to research by Lemon (I think thats the guys name or something similar to it). Further amounts have not been shown to illict any better reponses. I myself intake 2g/lb of bodyweight ( a it on the extreme for some) and have been doing that for the last 10 years or so. If you have existing kidney issues then yes too much protein is not advised. Also how much water you drink is important. I drink a gallon (4 litres) for every 1g/lb of bodweight. I've never had kidney issues. 1.5g/lb of bodyweight is a good starting amount however I've seen others do just as good on 0.8g/lb of bodyweight- of course overall calories have to be taken into consideration but we're taking strictly about protein here-

All I have to say to your nutritional expert is: if he eats like me he'll look like me and if I eat like him I'll look like him.

peace

I've yet to find some research to support that whole "too much protein is bad for your kidneys" thing. Not ONE study showed that higher protein intakes are a cause for kidney concern in healthy subjects. All of them seemed to be conducted on renal patients with pre existing kidney probs :shrug:

I've yet to find some research to support that whole "too much protein is bad for your kidneys" thing. Not ONE study showed that higher protein intakes are a cause for kidney concern in healthy subjects. All of them seemed to be conducted on renal patients with pre existing kidney probs :shrug:

agreed.

I weigh 70kgs and take in about 250gms protein per day and have no concerns about damage to my kidneys, if it’s clean healthy food and you drink lots of water there shouldn’t be any problems with a high protein intake

I weigh 70kgs and take in about 250gms protein per day and have no concerns about damage to my kidneys, if it’s clean healthy food and you drink lots of water there shouldn’t be any problems with a high protein intake

thats right imo

i find it difficult to get more than 2 litres a day, it makes me feel bloated all the time? is there something wrong with me haha

how often, how much and at what intervals do you guys recommend drinking water? is it okay to drink quite a bit at meal times (say half a litre)? or is it better to space it out?

i find it difficult to get more than 2 litres a day, it makes me feel bloated all the time? is there something wrong with me haha

how often, how much and at what intervals do you guys recommend drinking water? is it okay to drink quite a bit at meal times (say half a litre)? or is it better to space it out?

I wouldn't drink too much water at mealtimes - but half a litre isnt much anyway. I would die of thirst on 2L of water a day - jebus.

Try to drink at least 5L per day - and yeah space it out - like aim to drink 1L in between each meal and you'll get thru 5 no problem.

tend to agree, the biology is that the muscle cell is around 70% water. so the more you drink the more the cell can be flooded and work at its optimum. if you mix in a bit of creatine to get the ATP working even better. Agree at the moment in the cold i have lowered to around 5 l a day. about 1.5 litres is consumed before 10am and then another litre or so at the gym. I've never experienced bloating when i drink a lot. just a whole heap of trips to the loo :)

It also depends what other fluids you're taking in too.

Today for instance I've drunk 4 pump bottles worth (3L) but also about 1 litre of milk plus a couple of coffees. I'll get through another pump tonight, so all up that's probably about my 5L for a day.

Coffees shouldn't count towards your daily fluid intake....

After all - we are talking about the recommended water intake for a bodybuilder on high amounts of protein to be able flush out the kidneys. Unfortunately coffee not only dehydrates you but if taken too regularly can put stress on your adrenal glands. The same could be said for diet cokes.