Gidday and all that - Newbie to forums - love some help!

TeKnoman

Hey all - I have been back in to the gym scene since late August last year after over 10+ years away and am starting to seriously consider what / where I should be heading (ie go hard or go home!).

I'm 188cm (6' 2") 124kg and putting on the mass slowly but also carrying some spare resources too.

Can normally only get to gym 3 nights a week and the occasional weekend. Strength is getting better by the week. Usually break body in to chest/Biceps - Shoulders/ Tris - Legs/Back and if I can get there in the w/e I do a mixture. Always doing 15-30 min on the cross trainer but to be honest my diet is non-existant so the efforts there are not showing.

Need a mentor or something to get me going - any suggestions?

Hey Pseudonym - thanks for taking time to reply. It's not really motivation I need - It's more direction.

Looking to find a mentor / buddy that can give me some sound advice on the ideal diet & training schedule for me at my age.

The gym I go to has many PT's but it's finding the right one for me is probably my concern. Don't want to spend $$$ on the wrong one.

Also I think I'm at a crossroad of deciding do I go hard for mass and achieve my goal of at least one comp - or keep it lean and train for life fitness long term. Probably need someone to help evaluate my current position and help me determine some realistic goals.

Does that make sense?

Well, we can make suggestions if you post up your current diet, and routine. If you want opinions on whether you should bulk or cut, you'll need to post some pics for us.

On the other hand, if you'd rather see a real person, I'm sure someone here can recommend a good trainer. Just tell us where in the country you are. :)

I'm in Welly Pseudonym

As far as diet is concerned - this would be a typical day:

BFast - 4 Weetbix + coffee

Morn Tea - 2 x museli bars

Lunch - Sammi - ham/cheese/salad/mayo

Dinner - Meat + 3 veg

Snack - Tuna (or occasional chips - the weakness food!)

On training days I take protein shake b4 and after w/o

Supplements - Kre-Alkyline, BCAA's, Sterenezolin, HMB

Training - this would be what I achieved last week (roughly - I'm not one for writing my training schedule down - play it by ear when I get there)

Chest/Biceps:

Bench - 6-7 sets - 15 X 60kg upto 3 X 115kg

Incline - 5 sets - 10 X 60kg upto 3 X 90kg

Close grip seated row - 4 sets - 12 x 80kg upto 8 X 115kg

Pec deck - 4 sets - 12 X 60kg upto 6 X 80kg

BB curl - 5 sets - 12 x 35kg upto 8 x 50kg

incline DB curl - 4 sets - 12 x 12kg upto 8 x 20kg

Machine preachers - 4 sets - 12 x 35kg upto 6 X 50kg (heaps of negs)

Shoulders/triceps:

press (smith machine) - 7 sets - 15 x 50kg upto 4 X 90kg

DB raises - 4 sets - 12 x 12kg upto 6 x 17kg

reverse grip machine extension (works rear delts/rhomb) 5 sets - 10 X 60kg upto 6 X 85kg

- sometimes throw in shrugs after this or upright rows

Tri push down - 6 sets - 15 X 50kg upto 6 X 90kg

Skull crush - 5 sets - 10 X 40kg upto 6 X 50kg

Legs/Back (this w/o is a long one)

Squats - 6 sets - 15 X 100kg upto 4 X 180kg

Extention - 4 sets - 12 x 60kg upto 8 X 90kg

leg curl - 4 sets - 12 X 50kg upto 8 x 70kg

calf raise - 4 sets - 12 x 80kg upto 8 X 120kg

lat pulldown - 5 sets - 12 x 80kg upto 6 x 140kg

seated row - 4 sets - 12 x 80kg upto 8 X 115kg

-ocasionally rack pulls OR one arm rows OR wide grip seated rows

I like to alternate the odd exercise with a new one every couple of weeks

Dimensions - cold ie 3 days after last w/o

chest 50"

waist 42"

hips 41"

bicep 18"

thigh 28"

BTW I'm 37 - not quite a spring chicken but still young enough to leave an impression in my lifetime.

i will post pics soon

Hey Teknoman 6ef12e2f.gif

Good on you for posting up pics! Can see the beginnings of some good size on your legs :grin:

BFast - 4 Weetbix + coffee

Morn Tea - 2 x museli bars

Lunch - Sammi - ham/cheese/salad/mayo

Dinner - Meat + 3 veg

Snack - Tuna (or occasional chips - the weakness food!)

On training days I take protein shake b4 and after w/o

Supplements - Kre-Alkyline, BCAA's, Sterenezolin, HMB

I'd say your diet needs a revamp - doesn't look like you get in much decent protein in your first 3 meals of the day :?

Whats sterenezolin? Never heard of it :oops:

First of all, don't trust the body fat calculator on this website (or any website, for that matter). To be honest, it's really more of a toy, than something designed to give accurate measurements - although I'd guess it's reasonably close in your case.

I suggest getting a little leaner, since that will make it easier to assess the next move. I'm not suggesting a hard-out cutting diet, but just more protein, and a little less sugar. Try something like this...

BFast - Rolled oats, protein powder and milk

There's very little protein in Weetbix.

Morn Tea - 150g chicken, sandwich (2 slices of bread)

There's very little protein in muesli bars, and a lot of sugar.

Lunch - 150g beef with stir fry veggies, rice

Your ham/cheese/salad/mayo sandwich was better, but again not quite enough protein

Afternoon Tea - another source of protein and carbs. A shake and a sandwich would do if you're feeling lazy.

From lunch to dinner with no meal in between is too long.

Dinner - Meat + 3 veg

Fine. Possibly consider reducing the carbs at the end of the day, but if you're training in the afternoon/evening, I'd leave them in for now.

Hope that helps.

Hi Poos & Wees (nice name btw)

Thanks for taking time to post.

Steronezolin is an NFS supplement

Steronezolin IV (Stol 4)

Leading NFS body building pro-support nurtition. The product has been scientifically designed to optimise muscle tissue building when combined with heavy weight training. Continued use over a six week period followed by a 2 week break will give the best results! Then repeat the cycle. For maximum results in the shortest time, take with NFS Kre-Alkalyn and NFS Super Whey Protein.

- Serious body building men only

- Maximum support for muscle tissue growth

- Aids healthy testosterone production

- Actives at full researched levels

Ingredients: Each 7 capsules contain:

The Powerful scientifically designed propriety combination of

- Sulfo-polysaccharide 1000mg (CSP-3)

- Tribulus 850mg (std to 40% + Saponins)

- Magnesium elemental 450mg (from aspartate 2250mg)

- 5-Methyl-7-Methoxy

Isoflavone 400mg

- Epimedium Extract 300mg

(Horny Goat Weed)

- Indol-3-Carbonal 280mg

- Eurycoma Longifolia Jack 200mg (pharmaceutical grade)

- Zinc (elemental) 30mg (from monomethionine asparate 150mg)

- B6 (pyridoxine) 10.5mg

- Totarol 7mg

I thought I would give it a bash and see if it helps

My legs have always had reasonable shape - hence 180kg squats are achievable - but like the rest of me I need the direction to maximise my time in the gym. As you pointed out diet needs work too.

So what can you suggest?

For the suggested diet Pseudonym - is this a daily thing regardless of whether i am training or not?

I train 3 nights a week - usually tue/wed/thur - from 7 till 9

And the odd sat or sun avo

Is there a total amount of protein I should be aiming for per day?

Thanks for the diet suggestion - glad I joined the forum

Regarding workout routine - any suggestions there?

Drop the Steronezolin IV. At your level you don't need it. Considering it retails for $75 for 10 days worth of product this is money that could be better spent on something much more suitable. The doses of all the ingredients in this are so woefully low that it isn't going to do much for you other than burn a massive hole in your pocket. CSP-3 isn't going to do jack - it never has that's why no other supplement company bothers with it anymore.

As far as using Indole 3 Carbinol I don't think you need an estrogen blocker when you're only using 850mg of tribulus per day. If I were you I'd take it back to the shop and swap it for a decent protein. NFS do some reasonable products however this isn't one of them.

Hey Flex

Of the supplements I take it appears a good protein shake is the number 1 item on the list. What value do the other ones I take have - am I best just sticking with the Protein shake only?

I take Kre-Alkylyn, BCAA's and HMB

In the short time I have been taking the Kre-Alkylyn I believe it has provided me with some mass growth - but is it really just water retention? Cause a few days after last w/o the appearance can be noticeable. I can look physically & measurably bigger for up to 2 days after last w/o but this diminishes thereafter.

I don't mind spending a few $$$ on good supplements but from what I have read, my diet once more focused, will benefit me most of all.

Welcome to the board man,

I find getting a monthly measure up and fat test keeps me driven.

Also i always take a week off every 10-12weeks

Remember any supplements you add are not going to do alot untill you get your diet suited to your training/goals. The monthly measure up and fat test will help there.

But if i could only take 1 supplement other than protien... i would take a pre-workout stimulant.

I think the others have all covered off the main topics, It chould not take too long to loose a lot of that fat you have, you dont have a lot really I would say 20-22% diet alone will get you to 15%

Keep a regular check of it as motivation and you will do well

Gidday cutTabits & deegee

Thanks for the advice and ideas - all are most welcome!

Just a few days and a few posts later and I feel much more positive about what I should be doing next with my diet.

I would like some advice on my workout routine - is my body part grouping ok or does anyone have another idea?

I am also very lax at doing ab work - would 5 mins a day help me lose the storage bin near my waist? I have heard many arguments that say losing fat off targetted areas like the stomach is not possible - its an overall effect a diet will achieve? What is the truth?

Thanks again all - the ideas are all noted. Hope to be able to show a few pics in 6 months with some notable results!

• 3 weeks later...
I am also very lax at doing ab work - would 5 mins a day help me lose the storage bin near my waist? I have heard many arguments that say losing fat off targetted areas like the stomach is not possible - its an overall effect a diet will achieve? What is the truth?

Yeah it's true that you can't target an area for fat lost. To lose fat from a specific place you have to lose it from all over your body. Although adding Abs in one or two workouts I geuss will make them bigger and to a small extent you won't need as low bodyfat to see them.