Auckland bodybuilding comp - I'm gonna give it a go!

gymgoer

I decided on my goal - to enter the Auckland bodybuilding comp, next year. I'll be living there then, so I'm competing in my region.

I was thinking about doing the bodysculpting comp in August, but I want to get bigger and enter bodybuilding.

I'm going to enter some random journel entries every now and then, so if I can get any feedback/tips on my training, be gr8.

My goal is to get to 85kg, I'm now 72kg. I've increased my carb intake and protein, feeling good! :)

I'm meeting with my personal trainer soon.

Well, this is week 5, back into my training after having 6 months off, from doing any form of exercise. My goal now, is to get my strength back again. I've lost it! :cry: Punishment for being lazy.

I'm doing a bulking up phase, eating lots! Well, trying to. I jumped on the scales this morning and I had lost weight, stink. So, I'm going to have to add another meal to my diet and have lots more steak!

You'll notice with my training, that I'm not very structured. Which is quite slack, because I use to be a trainer in a gym. I just find programmes quite ridgit and boring (like doing cardio).

I find that I get faster results when I split my training up, train the exercises I feel like doing on the day for those particular muscle groups, and anything else I feel like doing. I get more pumped that way, because I push it more on my weights, when I'm enjoying my training. One day, when I find myself a training partner, I'll become more structured, one day!

TRAINING WED - FEB

1.DB Shoulder Press

Warm-up 13.7kg@22reps

Set 1.15.8@13reps

2.17.3@12

3.19.5@10

4.22.1@5

2&3 EZ BAR SHOULDER PRESS SUPERSET WITH FRONT PLATE RAISES

SHOULDER PRESS

Warm-up 10kg@25reps

1.20kg@14

2.25kg@10

3.30@8

4.35@7

FRONT PLATE RAISES

Warm-up 10kg@25reps

1.15kg@10reps

2.15@10

3.15@10

4.15@10

3&4 CONCENTRATION CURLS SUPERSET WITH SEATED D.B CURLS

CONCENTRATION CURLS

Warm-up 10kg@18

1.11.5@13reps

2.13.7@8

D.B CURLS

Warm-up 10kg@25

1.13.7@15

2.15.8@8

5&6 MACHINE PECTORIAL FLY SUPPORT WITH D.B CHEST FLYER

(I do a lot of supersets, to look busy and avoid lots of regular chatters-that want to talk. The unfortunate joys, of training solo.)

PEC

Warm-up 28kg@20reps 35@10kg

D.B CHEST

13.7@20+reps

19.5@14

22.4@6reps - :( No spotter, can't go heavy today, leave this one4another day).

7&8 MACHINE PREACHER CURL SUPERSET WITH MACHINE SHOULDER

PRESS

PREACHER CURL

1.30kg@16

2.40@10

3.50@4,dropset down 40@4

4.50@4, 40@4

SHOULDER PRESS

1.35@17

2.45@8

3.45@7

4.55@3 dropset 45@1 (my arms getting tierd now)

9. CABLE CROSS OVER (2 HANDLES) PULL DOWN

1.40@15, 2.50@6, 3.50@6

10&11 STANDING BARBELL CURLS SUPERSET WITH D.B SHRUGS

CURLS

1.20kg@12

2.29.5@10

3.29.5@10

SHRUGS

1.19.5@13

2.19.5@10

12&13 D.B TRICEP EXTENSION SUPERSET WITH 1 ARM TRICEP EXTEN.

TWO ARMS

1.15.9kg@18 2.19.5@10

3.22.1@9

ONE

1.5.5@12

2.7.7@9

*No spotter4any heavy weights, time to go home. I miss my old gym!

CARDIO - 40mins spin bike@home

DIET

1.Eggs (x4), vogels (x2)

2.Can tuna, toast (x1)

3.Chicken, brocoli, potato & kumera

4. Eas protein bar (half)

5. Steak, Banana

Yer,that is pretty heavy for a female. I'm quite short. I use to be a skinny build in my early teens, like 50kg. But, then I discovered weight training. Hence, I'm more of a solid build now.

Looking at bodybuilders I respect for their dedication to bodybuilding, such as Joe Steward (what a legend)& our local bodybuilders here in Hamilton. They've developed some pretty incredible size and muscle.

I aim to put on lots of muscle/weight, then do my ripping up phase. It may take me a bit longer to put on 85kg, but I'm still young. I aspire to be better than I think I can, then I find some middle ground. That way I mentally challenge myself, physically its easy!

TRAINING WED - FEB

1.DB Shoulder Press

Warm-up 13.7kg@22reps

Set 1.15.8@13reps

2.17.3@12

3.19.5@10

4.22.1@5

2&3 EZ BAR SHOULDER PRESS SUPERSET WITH FRONT PLATE RAISES

SHOULDER PRESS

Warm-up 10kg@25reps

1.20kg@14

2.25kg@10

3.30@8

4.35@7

FRONT PLATE RAISES

Warm-up 10kg@25reps

1.15kg@10reps

2.15@10

3.15@10

4.15@10

3&4 CONCENTRATION CURLS SUPERSET WITH SEATED D.B CURLS

CONCENTRATION CURLS

Warm-up 10kg@18

1.11.5@13reps

2.13.7@8

D.B CURLS

Warm-up 10kg@25

1.13.7@15

2.15.8@8

5&6 MACHINE PECTORIAL FLY SUPPORT WITH D.B CHEST FLYER

(I do a lot of supersets, to look busy and avoid lots of regular chatters-that want to talk. The unfortunate joys, of training solo.)

PEC

Warm-up 28kg@20reps 35@10kg

D.B CHEST

13.7@20+reps

19.5@14

22.4@6reps - :( No spotter, can't go heavy today, leave this one4another day).

7&8 MACHINE PREACHER CURL SUPERSET WITH MACHINE SHOULDER

PRESS

PREACHER CURL

1.30kg@16

2.40@10

3.50@4,dropset down 40@4

4.50@4, 40@4

SHOULDER PRESS

1.35@17

2.45@8

3.45@7

4.55@3 dropset 45@1 (my arms getting tierd now)

9. CABLE CROSS OVER (2 HANDLES) PULL DOWN

1.40@15, 2.50@6, 3.50@6

10&11 STANDING BARBELL CURLS SUPERSET WITH D.B SHRUGS

CURLS

1.20kg@12

2.29.5@10

3.29.5@10

SHRUGS

1.19.5@13

2.19.5@10

12&13 D.B TRICEP EXTENSION SUPERSET WITH 1 ARM TRICEP EXTEN.

TWO ARMS

1.15.9kg@18 2.19.5@10

3.22.1@9

ONE

1.5.5@12

2.7.7@9

*No spotter4any heavy weights, time to go home. I miss my old gym!

Holy strongness lifter.gif

Shoulder pressing 22's is impressive! Nice lifting!

I jumped on the scales and I've lost weight, 70kg with shoes on. I'm cutting out my cardio next week, I've been doing 1hr cycling almost daily. I don't like having to eat when I'm full - but I kind of have to, because I lose weight too fast.

I see one of my trainers next week and I'm going to put together a programme to do each morning instead of cardio to focus on building up more strength in my weaker areas.

Welcome to the dark side...

??????

I hope that by not doing cardio, it won't make me feel grumpy in the morning, because I was starting to enjoy my cardio. I brought myself a spin bike to place inbetween my surround system. I've been turning up my favourite music, quite loud and now I'm going to change to walking up lots of steps or 6am gym sessions. Doesn't seem as motivating to me, hopefully I can get out of bed without turning my alarm off.

My goal is to get to 85kg, I'm now 72kg.

what is your height exactly because you say your quite short? like 5'4?

because I just wondering if its necessary for you to bulk anymore. Im prety sure i read that at the champs where Jo Stewart placed in the top3 in she was only 54kgs..and you'll know she was/and is very muscular looking (as she is physique) so at 85, if your not too tall, this is very high weight is it not?

But nonetheless all power to you. Im doin law [hopefully] at uni next year, and plan to compete at the same time, so itl be cool to follow your progress..

:D

Hey small, wondering how you were going with your training towards your comp. Be gr8 if you started a journel, we wouldn't get sick of your entries. Especially, if your entering the secondary school catergory4your first comp? It would enable you to receive some good feedback. But, you sound really on-to-it & I wish you all the best.

My trainings going well at the moment, I've lost body fat, but put on more muscle - especially in my upper body.

This guy approached me in the gym tonight and he said to me - "you're not doing bodybuilding are you?". He said, "well you're looking good, but take it any further and you'll start looking like a man....he went on and on about it. So I said, "no, I'm not doing bodybuilding, I'm doing the body shaping catergory." I really wanted to get back to my training, so I decided to not get into a debate about my perception on female bodybuilders/bodysculpters. But he really annoyed me. :(

Then, I was doing my weights and I overheard these young girls talking about me, won't mention what they said. But, I decided not to care. I think that in attaining to goals in weight training, you do have to put up with remarks from people that are negative about females who love bodybuilding. I've learnet to be tough mentality now and ignore such comments, as I think that everyone has to do what makes them happy.

I don't know what weight Joe Steward is or what weight she was when she competed? I don't compare myself or my training to anyone else. Although, I always look at the likes of Joe and other bodybuilders/bodysculpters and think - "wow, what a legend, and aplaud them for their success". I kind of just aim for a goal in all aspects of my training whether that be my weight, strength, etc...and then try to reach my personal best. If I fail to reach that (within a given time), then I just set more realistic goals. But, I like to challenge myself mentality, if I never learnet to be like this, I'd still be D.B pressing my little 10kg weights, instead of aiming for 30kg.

Meeting with my trainer next week to help me with my morning workouts, now that I've cut my cardio out. Then I meet with my other trainer in 3weeks who's into bodybuilding, so he'll sort me out with measurements and fat test. Yuck, hate fat tests!!! The thought of it, just makes me feel like jumping on my bike (my only reason4cardio)

Yer - poo's and wee's your right. I do hate cardio - I'm not missing it. The only reason I started enjoying it, was due to my loud rock music that I played at home while I was doing it. I can't do even 10mins cardio at gym, because I get so bored, I jump off after 2mins. But, my flatmates are grateful now that there's no more cardio, because they weren't enjoying listening to my music. I've entered the dark side :twisted: , glad I'm not alone!

This guy approached me in the gym tonight and he said to me - "you're not doing bodybuilding are you?". He said, "well you're looking good, but take it any further and you'll start looking like a man....he went on and on about it. So I said, "no, I'm not doing bodybuilding, I'm doing the body shaping catergory." I really wanted to get back to my training, so I decided to not get into a debate about my perception on female bodybuilders/bodysculpters. But he really annoyed me. :(

Then, I was doing my weights and I overheard these young girls talking about me, won't mention what they said. But, I decided not to care. I think that in attaining to goals in weight training, you do have to put up with remarks from people that are negative about females who love bodybuilding. I've learnet to be tough mentality now and ignore such comments, as I think that everyone has to do what makes them happy.

I don't know what weight Joe Steward is or what weight she was when she competed? I don't compare myself or my training to anyone else. Although, I always look at the likes of Joe and other bodybuilders/bodysculpters and think - "wow, what a legend, and aplaud them for their success". I kind of just aim for a goal in all aspects of my training whether that be my weight, strength, etc...and then try to reach my personal best. If I fail to reach that (within a given time), then I just set more realistic goals. But, I like to challenge myself mentality, if I never learnet to be like this, I'd still be D.B pressing my little 10kg weights, instead of aiming for 30kg.

Awesome!

Yeah, you get into issues when you start comparing yourself to others... and I think your attitude to building and doing what's best for you is great :grin: And keep in mind that not many ppl know anything when it comes to female bodybuilding - all they see in the media are those huge testosterone-filled ladies in the Ms. O and assume all female bodybuilders aspire to look like that :roll:

You keep doing what you do and don't worry 'bout them tards and their ignorant comments!! box2.gif

Hey! thanks for the detailed reply :)

First off i hope you didnt interpert my comment as negative!!by no means was it..the numbers your hitting in the gym definately corralate to your [muscular] size-i gues i think you really should give a comp a go sooner rather than later (and poos!! :grin: ) because your both hitting numbers I want to get to in the future.

My training is goin good overall thanks..but last week i only hit the gym 4 times, had tuesday off, and 2xhour long cardio sessions on sat and sun because I was feeling a bit under the weather. My diet, well i fell off the rails last night, and it continued a bit today grrr.. (athletics day at school-which i pulled my calve at :x) but i think thats all out of my system now and im back on track (gud arms at gym 2nyte, cardio and chick n veges 4 tea)

Really?..well journel would be gud i suppose-im definately open to suggestions and help on both training and diet.

Yup il be in the secondary catagory so figure.

This guy approached me in the gym tonight and he said to me - "you're not doing bodybuilding are you?". He said, "well you're looking good, but take it any further and you'll start looking like a man....he went on and on about it.

Argh! Well thats all up to ones opinion. Hes probably jealous :nod: haha. The best policy ive found is to just not talk about it..some people are so negative about it its almost upsetting because so much time n energy etc goes into it, as you know.

Then, I was doing my weights and I overheard these young girls talking about me, won't mention what they said. But, I decided not to care. I think that in attaining to goals in weight training, you do have to put up with remarks from people that are negative about females who love bodybuilding.

Young? How young? That seems really stink to me for them to do that right infront of you, dare I say again that they are also envious of your size!! Where do you train? because it does help to have some supporters at the gym.

Well I can tell from your numbers your training methods obviously working!! :D i tend to increase my weights after a period of time too, just because I hate the feeling of going to the gym and not 'working'

But, I like to challenge myself mentality, if I never learnet to be like this, I'd still be D.B pressing my little 10kg weights, instead of aiming for 30kg.

haha...ohh...my 12.5kg db press doesnt seem that gud anymore :( haha

Let us know how the meetings go, do you have a nutritionist? Yes my first (and so far only) fat test with the callipars was not particularily pleasuarable but i was pleased with the mesurement at the time. Now I have to work on decreasing it for comp..thus my cardio has been increased :cry: id gladly swap with you so you could do my cardio and I could shoulder press 22s till the cows came home. :pfft: [that is if i culd lift the 22s haha]

Otherwise keep updating!! Its really kool to see your progress.

Poo's and wee's - thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I'm going to keep going for it!!!! I'm glad I don't compare myself or my training to anyone else. Cause if I did, looking at the numbers you push for your legs, I'd feel like a lazy couch potato. :clap: "Wow!" - thats all I can say!

Thanks also Small. You know, its really uplifting when you have people give you shit in the gym for being a female and into weight training. Then, you have some encouragement, puts things in perpective.

I joined up for a 12month membership at my uni gym, so I'm a member there. But, I'm going to join another gym when I see my personal trainer, he owns a gym and writes body building articles. So, I think I'll fit in well there. Be a better gym culture.

I'm not seeing a nutitionist small@the moment. Makes it too expensive by the time I pay for my supplements, food, trainer, etc....Thats why I'm determined to set up a sponsership fund when I'm qualified. Because, its good to be able to access all the information&resources you can to succeed, without personally have to pay lots for it. There should be a support network to help with that!

I don't strictly measure my food during my bulking up phase, just when I'm cutting up. But I stick to the requirements my body size needs of protein for each meal and carbs and I know what works for me.

During my ripping up phase, thats when I really need to see a nutitionist to avoid being grumpy and making sure I'm giving my body everything it needs. Its quite good at the moment, I'm sticking to my diet, but because I lose weight easy then I can eat lots & I like my food, so thats good. Especially, when It means I can eat lots and not have to do cardio, thats even better!!!!

Small, all I can say from your post, is that I wish that I had your passion and focus for competitions when I was your age. I think that your destined to do well man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let nothing hold you back from obtaining your goals. Look forward to reading your progress. Great you'll doing law!!! I find the study helps with my training, because you get so much work to do, that you can't go out and party much. So it helps to keep the focus. That sounds very sad...but true...party after competition and exams - YES! :D

No worries.. :)

ahh sooo those girls talking bout u in ure gym wer uni girls..hmm... haha

Oh ok..im trying to get my nutrionist sorted out but ima bit stumped, ive sent emails but to no avail..i think i mite give Jo Stewart a line (now that ive seen PT's post on another topic)

That sponsorship fund sounds so brill!! sign me up :wink:

Oh u loose weight easy.. :evil: LuckY! haha

Thanks :D well compared to like everyone on here i am utter noobness - only been training properly since july 06.. but i have 'found my calling' :grin: hahaha..

Yes when i saw that you wer at uni and did bodybuilding i was like snap..shes sounds exactly like where i want to be!! so il b watchin ure journel keenly. I also saw on another post of yours you trained in both long distance cycling and marathons?is there anything you dont do/havent done???

Hey small, what bad business for your nutitionist to not ring you back with an appointment. I'd definately see someone else in Auckland, that is on-to-it with diets for competition, like Jo.

When your a rich lawyer - you won't need to sign up for sponsership, you can just help me on my mission!!!

I'm glad you've found your calling....definately not a noobness. I bet you in two years, I'll be struggling to keep up with ya!!!

I'm back at Uni now, and my workload has increased - meaning late nights to fit in my training.

However since cutting out my cardio, I've put on weight this week, and I've got a bit more stronger and increased my weights a bit more at the gym. It's helped changing my diet - I'm eating more, to give me the energy to study. Kind of need to though, I nearly fell asleep in the middle of my lecture yesterday. That would of been a very embarrassing moment!

I just trained an overall body workout tonight, cause I wasn't feeling up to a proper training workout, bit tierd.

TRAINING - THURSDAY

D.B ROWS SUPERSET WITH CHEST D.B FLYERS

1.Chest D.B Flyers

Warm-up - 19.2kg@18reps

1.22.1@15

2.24.6@10

3.27.4@8

4.27.4@5

2.D.B Rows

Warm-up - 19.2kg@18reps

1.22.1@14

2.24.6@10

3.27.4@5

4.27.4@5

3&4 - Standing Barbell bicep curls superset with standing D.B Curls

Barbell Curls

1.20kg@12reps

2.25@10

3.25@8

4.30@4 (assisted)

D.B Curls

1.15.7@10

2.17.3@5

3.17.3@4

5 - D.B Shoulder Press

Warm-up - 19.2@18reps

1.22.1@5

2.22.1@4

6 - Seated EZ bar preacher curls

1.15@10reps

2.17.5@5

3.17.5@5

7&8 - Concentration curls superset with front plate raises

Concentration Curls

1.11.5@12reps

2.14.6@4, dropset down 13kg@6

3.14.6@5, dropset 13@6

Plate Raises

1.15@14

2.20@4, dropset 15@10

3.20@4, dropset 15@11

9. Calf Raises - Standing machine

1.175@18, dropset 165@10

2.185@10, dropset 175@8

3.185@10, dropset 175@8, dropset 165@6

4. 185@10, dropset 165@6

10&11 - Leg Curl superset with Leg Extension

Leg Extension

1.50@18

2.60@10

3.60@11

Leg Curl

1.50@15

2.60@8

3.60@8

12&13 - Inner thigh machine superset with Outer thigh machine (x4 sets)

DIET

Meal 1. toast (x2), banana & protein shake

Meal 2. toast (x1), can tuna, kidney beans, & protein shake

Meal 3. Rice, eggs (x4), & protein shake

Meal 4. Steak, veg & protein shake

Meal 5. Steak, veg, kidney beans.

I'm back at Uni now, and my workload has increased - meaning late nights to fit in my training.

However since cutting out my cardio, I've put on weight this week, and I've got a bit more stronger and increased my weights a bit more at the gym. It's helped changing my diet - I'm eating more, to give me the energy to study. Kind of need to though, I nearly fell asleep in the middle of my lecture yesterday. That would of been a very embarrassing moment!

I just trained an overall body workout tonight, cause I wasn't feeling up to a proper training workout, bit tierd.

TRAINING - THURSDAY

D.B ROWS SUPERSET WITH CHEST D.B FLYERS

1.Chest D.B Flyers

Warm-up - 19.2kg@18reps

1.22.1@15

2.24.6@10

3.27.4@8

4.27.4@5

2.D.B Rows

Warm-up - 19.2kg@18reps

1.22.1@14

2.24.6@10

3.27.4@5

4.27.4@5

3&4 - Standing Barbell bicep curls superset with standing D.B Curls

Barbell Curls

1.20kg@12reps

2.25@10

3.25@8

4.30@4 (assisted)

D.B Curls

1.15.7@10

2.17.3@5

3.17.3@4

5 - D.B Shoulder Press

Warm-up - 19.2@18reps

1.22.1@5

2.22.1@4

6 - Seated EZ bar preacher curls

1.15@10reps

2.17.5@5

3.17.5@5

7&8 - Concentration curls superset with front plate raises

Concentration Curls

1.11.5@12reps

2.14.6@4, dropset down 13kg@6

3.14.6@5, dropset 13@6

Plate Raises

1.15@14

2.20@4, dropset 15@10

3.20@4, dropset 15@11

9. Calf Raises - Standing machine

1.175@18, dropset 165@10

2.185@10, dropset 175@8

3.185@10, dropset 175@8, dropset 165@6

4. 185@10, dropset 165@6

10&11 - Leg Curl superset with Leg Extension

Leg Extension

1.50@18

2.60@10

3.60@11

Leg Curl

1.50@15

2.60@8

3.60@8

12&13 - Inner thigh machine superset with Outer thigh machine (x4 sets)

DIET

Meal 1. toast (x2), banana & protein shake

Meal 2. toast (x1), can tuna, kidney beans, & protein shake

Meal 3. Rice, eggs (x4), & protein shake

Meal 4. Steak, veg & protein shake

Meal 5. Steak, veg, kidney beans.