Gym etiquette

Pseudonym

With the new year upon us, there's always an increase in the number of newbies at the gym. That's fine - good on them, I say! But often they haven't learnt proper "gym etiquette" yet, and blindly wander about the gym completely oblivious to the needs of everyone else. To be fair, they're not alone - there are plenty of gym veterans who could also do with a refresher course in manners.

Let's help them out. Write down all your bitches, gripes and moans here, and let us know: What breaches of "gym etiquette" get your goat the most?

Bad gym etiquette? How about

Not wiping your greasy sweat off the machines and benches when you're finished with them.

Walking so close to someone who's training that you force them to stop to let you pass.

Taking every DB from 12 to 25kg so you can do drop sets for 30 minutes.

Leaving a huge stack of 20kg plates on a bar or on the leg press and just walking away.

:banging:

Who is in the wrong?

- I have never been on a saturday to the gym so dont know the people there...

Today we were doing DL's using a BB, weight and an area of floor.

20min into our workout one guy asks how much longer we have.

we offer for him to jump in as we will be a long time, he rejects.

30min into our work another guy asks how much longer we are going to be. he tells us they are called DL's for a reason and says we should go all the way to the floor (we were only doing 3/4's). calls us homo's and says we would only need 3 sets if we did them properly!

40min into work out orginal guy (hes been waiting all this time) says times up. and we give in...

we go upstairs and see not 1 but 2 free BB's and ample weights. We continue to do our workout on these...

50min workout complete. we head down and tell the guy on our DL BB that there are two free ones upstairs. But apparently this one is special...

very frustrating.

My pet gripes

- Throwing weights

- People who have only been training for a period of 1 or two years for a show and then all of a sudden they are more knowledgable than you, even though you've been training for more than 14 years!

- Someone telling you how to pose a certain way - and they haven't got an ounce of rhythm or idea!

- Personal Trainers who watch you do a certain exercise then apply it for their own clients programs, get results - then all of a sudden they are Gods.

- Last but not least the Invisible Lat Syndrome. " I was wondering where my barrels disappeared to!" :pfft:

Walking so close to someone who's training that you force them to stop to let you pass.
:ditto:

• Random ppl (including well-meaning PTs) coming up to give you retarded advice on how to do an exercise, or even better -- talking to you while you're doing a set :evil:

• Curls/upright rows in the squat rack

• Not unloading plates/putting away DBs after using them

• Hogging equipment at peak times

• Standing in front of you during an exercise you need the mirror to check for form

• LOUD attention-seeking grunting, throwing weights

throwing weights. well i drop mine. i dont throw them in the air. altho im not lifting super heavy weights.. to sum of u inferior weights, i dont want to hurt my wrists or ribs by dropping the weight on me then trying to get up...

1 thing tht really bothers me is people tht grab DB's nd then dont put them bak wher they got them from.. so u cant jst grab the two u 'think' r the correct weight..

2 losers who stare at u while ur working out.. pisses me off nd distracts me.. i have alot more.. little things always hack me off

GEEZ bodybuilders are angry fellas!!! Must be all that test :pfft:

On a serious note:

- people who move your stuff (finding your towl missing and a new guy on your bench)

- people who walk in front of you while you're obviously using the mirror to check form etc...

- people who give you random advice on "how to do it the RIGHT way"...

- spotting random guys on bench as they growl away in between each rep, spitting away at my face :evil:

All these things piss me off!!!!! :nod:

- Throwing weights
• LOUD attention-seeking grunting, throwing weights

ok u poos and wees and ann are both chicks so from a guys point of view dropping the heavy dumbells after a set is acceptable in my mind.

how the f..k are u suppose to put back a 65kg db nicely after a chest press??? exactly i drop them and think its ok. i pay $26.50 a week for my gym fees. so i train hars and get my moneys worth, im aint a hollywood and dont throw the weights for attention but it roots your joints (wrists/elbows) if u try to put them down quietly. this goes for db shoulderr presses too

Leaving a huge stack of 20kg plates on a bar or on the leg press and just walking away.

definately... like a 17 yr old noob and his mate who did that 2 days ago; 8 x 20s, 6 x 15s then proceeded to do ONE, just one, 2cm rep. boy he looked mitey proud.. then as he walked off i saw his tshirt said NZ Squash. Suddenly things became clearer...

2 Guns

Dropping weights to a certain degree is okay, however, throwing them from a ridiculous height isn't. Do you think it is acceptable to throw weights - say from a standing position? This is what I have seen happen, many times. To say the least this isn't acceptable. We all pay gym fees, but what does being a female have to do with it, as this is still no excuse for throwing them. Unfortunately, that sort of stupidity ends up breaking the pins within the weights, then they get sent out to get fixed, leaving paying gym members, having to wait for their return. My thought is this, if you can press a heavy weight for reps quite easy, then you can have someone or yourself place them down, or drop them down from an acceptable height easily also. That's just my thought, until next time

Be good to yourself :wink:

I think there's dropping, and there's dropping. Some people just let go of the weight at its highest point and I'm sure it causes unneccesary damage to the dumbells. At the same time, though, it's better to damage the dumbell than yourself. I find a good solution is a "controlled drop", where your energy goes into slowing the drop, rather than taking the full weight. Then when it gets lower than you can comfortably reach, just let go. :)

Another pet peeve I have is people who base their entire workout around a machine the gym only has one of. Bench press and squats in the smith machine? Wouldn't be my choice, but OK... Rows? Maybe... Shrugs? Well, if you must... But seriously - wrist curls in a smith machine?! I kid you not! :shock:

2 Guns

Dropping weights to a certain degree is okay, however, throwing them from a ridiculous height isn't. Do you think it is acceptable to throw weights - say from a standing position? This is what I have seen happen, many times. To say the least this isn't acceptable. We all pay gym fees, but what does being a female have to do with it, as this is still no excuse for throwing them. Unfortunately, that sort of stupidity ends up breaking the pins within the weights, then they get sent out to get fixed, leaving paying gym members, having to wait for their return. My thought is this, if you can press a heavy weight for reps quite easy, then you can have someone or yourself place them down, or drop them down from an acceptable height easily also. That's just my thought, until next time

Be good to yourself :wink:

Come to Gillies ave gym all you weight droppers. You can drop a weight from 7 feet up and she'll be right. Grunting is allowed too, providing you're doing something that requires it.

I question whether frequent texting and cellphone calls in between sets (or people who do the odd set between all their frequent texting and cell phone calls) is somehow acceptable in the whole spirit of gym culture.

My last gym, you were not allowed to take calls in the gym and if you wanted to use your cell, then you had to ge outside. This worked well.

i suppose if u are using the bench press and are taking phone calls then other users could get pissed off.

or squat rack etc... at mine gym this sint a problem fortunatly as there are about 6 bench presses and 5 or 6 squat racks and 2 smith machine rack things.

i dont text hard out just if im texting someone on my way to the gym then ill take my cell phone into the gym to keep texting. but i still train hard and dont ahve too longer breaks between sets