Ditching not lifting for the wookie

GyzzBrah

Lifting been going good added a bit of size and strength and eating better foods for myself. Kept doing jonos program for a while then changed things up a bit (did another squat day where there was deadlifts) since idc too much about powerlifting just yet but will later on. Legs got a little bigger but obviously jono is correct in saying recovery is more important.

Anyway last couple of weeks been busy but back into it today and doing Wookie Method.

Noticed I lost a lot of weight in these past few weeks so I thought about what I was eating and on some days its less than 1k calories. But keep in mind my diet been good overall.

Today

OHP 45 x 8 (rpe 8) 50 x 5 missed 3 reps 47.5 x 7 close enough.

Front squats bar x 5. Probably a waste of time

Close grip bench 60kg 3 x 8

Did a few pullups.

Bodyweight 80kg ( was 85 few weeks back)

Hey maccaz I have seen some really good posts so its good to be back. Now that im back into it after a few weeks I will be making good posts too.

Lifts are 130 / ? / 90 approx.

Forget what I have said regarding diet and front squats I have no sleep so performance will be bad for at least a week.

Doing the same program jono gave me and I will be doing it as set out for the next few months

Hey maccaz I have seen some really good posts so its good to be back. Now that im back into it after a few weeks I will be making good posts too.

Lifts are 130 / ? / 90 approx.

Forget what I have said regarding diet and front squats I have no sleep so performance will be bad for at least a week.

Doing the same program jono gave me and I will be doing it as set out for the next few months

cool.

so is that 130 squat? 

Yes maccaz.

Started day 1 again since there is no point in starting a training cycle half assed. Got a good sleep and started eating well since yesterday I will post my eats at the end of the day Realtalk you would be happy to hear. Also no more ritalin for next 2 weeks.

OHP

40 x 5

50 x 7 close enough rpe 10

45 x 8

40 x 5

Seated rows

87 x 10, 8

77 x 8, 10

Close grip

60 x 10

Ez bar curls / pushdowns 3 x 10

see, that was much better.

welcome back man, you sound like a changed man or something in that short period you been gone haha, good stuff.. lets smash this training year and meet up to fight at some summer powerlifting comps?

f*ck yeah course br0 hope your comeback goes well.

Diets: 211g Protein, 276g Carb, 64g Fat. maybe a mass gainer later tonight.

Egg noodles (breakfast / dinner + beef stirfry w/ dinner) = fuckton

90g Haloumi cheese

250g cottage cheese

3 scoop whey with juice

butter chicken pie

It was ON Lemon flavour bruce al.

Did deadlifts today. Hadnt done them in months but was probably just as strong or stronger today than before?

Deadlifts

100 x 5, 5

130 x 1, 1

150 x 1 (max single rpe 9)

150 x 1

130 x 1

130 x 1

Didnt do sumo deadlift since not enough time

Bent over rows

60 x 10

80 x 6, 6

60 x 10, 10

Seated row

87 x 8,8, 8

Tried using straps today on deadlifts and they are useless for the simple fact that I cant do mixed grip (or can I?) hence I am better off without using them.

For the rest of the weeks I might do deficit deadlifts to see if It can help get me stronger quicker.

It was ON Lemon flavour bruce al.

Did deadlifts today. Hadnt done them in months but was probably just as strong or stronger today than before?

Deadlifts

100 x 5, 5

130 x 1, 1

150 x 1 (max single rpe 9)

150 x 1

130 x 1

130 x 1

Didnt do sumo deadlift since not enough time

Bent over rows

60 x 10

80 x 6, 6

60 x 10, 10

Seated row

87 x 8,8, 8

Tried using straps today on deadlifts and they are useless for the simple fact that I cant do mixed grip (or can I?) hence I am better off without using them.

For the rest of the weeks I might do deficit deadlifts to see if It can help get me stronger quicker.

no need for mixed grip if using straps, they cancel out the benefit of mix grip because bar wont go anywhere.

i like double overhand and would use it all the time if my grip was good enough to do so. 

Azide tells me that mixed grip with straps is fine to do. And fk double overhand it sucks, with and without straps. Cant get my lats and upper body working with that grip.

So when you mix grip then only one of your lats and half your upper body is working?

Mixed grip with straps is basically pointless. I train my deadlift and back 90% of the time with straps and double overhand grip. It's actually safer for your bicep and makes the lift more symmetrical (your hips don't torque). When you turn your palm forward to a mixed grip the muscles used and movement is still the same. It's not like practise mixed grip to get better at mixed grip deadlifts and use straps to get better at strapped deadlifts. It's exactly the same.

less dick worshipping of azide would be my advice to you.

So when you mix grip then only one of your lats and half your upper body is working?

Mixed grip with straps is basically pointless. I train my deadlift and back 90% of the time with straps and double overhand grip. It's actually safer for your bicep and makes the lift more symmetrical (your hips don't torque). When you turn your palm forward to a mixed grip the muscles used and movement is still the same. It's not like practise mixed grip to get better at mixed grip deadlifts and use straps to get better at strapped deadlifts. It's exactly the same.

less dick worshipping of azide would be my advice to you.

Yeah well when I can barely lift the bar off the ground even with straps using a weight I can rep out with mixed grip then I dont see what the point is.

The weights I lift are far too light to worry about bicep tears and torque etc. When Im lifting bigger weights ill look into it.

Edit: I'll give what you said a go on my next session.

Do you squeeze the bar and grip it hard when you have straps on or just wrap them round and let them do all the work? Having tight upper back and lats for a deadlift starts through your arms and with your grip, after all that's what's holding the bar.

If you're not gripping tight then you're back won't be tight.

Of course do what is best for you. I was just chiming in on the discussion.

Do you squeeze the bar and grip it hard when you have straps on or just wrap them round and let them do all the work? Having tight upper back and lats for a deadlift starts through your arms and with your grip, after all that's what's holding the bar.

If you're not gripping tight then you're back won't be tight.

this, need to be like the bar is attached to your body not just something you're gripping and stroking limply with your fingers like your dad makes you do when you're in the bath with him

i cant understand grip problems really, possibly the bar is shit? 

mate long as you using atleast oly bar, the weight always gonna be heavy enough for you to risk tearing bicep..

also good shit man coming right back in to it and just pulling 150 when your old 1rm was like 170? pretty good.

i would listen to the guys above, when you training use as much double overhand as possible. move to mixed grip when you going to the max and the grip is getting in the way.. and then straps but when it comes to comp you can't use straps so improve grip in other ways. try hook grip it hurts thumbs but real useful.

about the lats - look at all the big lifters before a dl, or power clean they always prep their lats in one way or the other.. the way that wookie showed me and explained was that you inhale, flare chest, and flare lats super tight with arms out in bearhug position as if you trying to scare a child. you then take another deep breath to full tighten up, quickly grab bar (don't wanna waste time/oxygen at this point adjusting), get into position and pull.

personally i find it quite hard to fully recruit lat and stuff when using straps probably because i get lazy and let the straps do the work rather than grip tightly through hands therefore lose tightness everywhere else, my preference is double overhand whenever possible

Today did bench

Bench

60 x 5

80 x single (could do x 5 like 2 weeks ago)

70; 3 x 5

(Came home realized this was week 2 not 1)

Incline dumbells 30 3 x 8

Seated row

87 x 8, 8, 8

95 x 5

95 x 5, dropset to like 50 kg

Machine / Dumbell flies both around 3 x 10

Preacher dumbells 3 x 8

Tricep pushdowns 3 x 8

Pretty disapointed today seems like I will loose strength faster on bench etc than deadlifts or other lifts. But will keep at it 100% and get through it.

(Came home realized this was week 2 not 1)

Sigh...

this

be more organised gyzz, doont go into your old stupid patterns

make plan before you go gym

when im working off program i read it earlier in the day when im at work (school in your case) and mentally prepare, seems overkill but can guarantee il never be doing the wrong day lol

haha its even school holidays man, should be easier to plan ahead . do you keep a notebook at all? i been using a little 3b1 last couple yrs and i write down the exercises / sets / weights i intend to do before going in, you can write that down in advance the night before so you've got it planned out and not wasting time thinking of what youre supposed to be doing. at the gym people see me with my notebook and pen inbetween sets writing note or whatever think im a freaking wierdo can see it on their face lol but it helps get the job done!

haha its even school holidays man, should be easier to plan ahead . do you keep a notebook at all? i been using a little 3b1 last couple yrs and i write down the exercises / sets / weights i intend to do before going in, you can write that down in advance the night before so you've got it planned out and not wasting time thinking of what youre supposed to be doing. at the gym people see me with my notebook and pen inbetween sets writing note or whatever think im a freaking wierdo can see it on their face lol but it helps get the job done!

3B1 Notebook Crew checking in.

Have kept them for about the last four years plus. Have them all in chronological order at home once I finish one. Will sell one day as the Bible of Gains.

Gyzz I wasn't around last time you were posting, I was still reading the forums off and on but wasn't posting. But srsly you have a lot of people giving you good advice and a plethora of great information at your disposal. You just need to put the effort in and be organised, train hard, stop making excuses etc otherwise you'll just be like every other beta in the gym who gets nowhere.

Eat like a man, train hard and you'll be surprised how far you get.

Gyzz I wasn't around last time you were posting, I was still reading the forums off and on but wasn't posting. But srsly you have a lot of people giving you good advice and a plethora of great information at your disposal. You just need to put the effort in and be organised, train hard, stop making excuses etc otherwise you'll just be like every other beta in the gym who gets nowhere.

Eat like a man, train hard and you'll be surprised how far you get.

See thats the thing bro I have been doing all of those things since I was sent away,which is why its called ditching not lifting for the wookie.

I got an exel spreadsheet with all my weeks etc. Its just one day I didnt bother reading it b4 gym.

But thanks for the great support everyone, been making it thanks to gymnation than when I first came here.