Drying out for comp

kingersman

Okay so i recently won my first bb comp and took overall.

I was told if i go nationals(which i am) to dry out a wee bit more and drop some more bodyfat if i can.

Ideas on drying out more? I was going to add couple more hours onto my dehydrate and also try a water load. Any foods that could help?

herbal diuretics?

Water wise i just did my normal intake and stopped at 12pm friday(i work 1am-9am so i do intake water during then). I get around 3-4L normally.

Sodium i reduced to just trace amounts from thursday. Dont monitor it normally

Your approach to sodium is fine but you could preload the water more.

The concept is the body will adjust to increased output (therefore you need to increase input) and continue to excrete the same increased level for about 2 to 3 days before it realises water intake has decreased.

So drink extra for Monday to say Thursday morning the decrease the intake to minimal level until after comp. The body will continue to pump out extra water for Thursday and Friday leaving you drier on Saturday.

Your approach to sodium is fine but you could preload the water more.

The concept is the body will adjust to increased output (therefore you need to increase input) and continue to excrete the same increased level for about 2 to 3 days before it realises water intake has decreased.

So drink extra for Monday to say Thursday morning the decrease the intake to minimal level until after comp. The body will continue to pump out extra water for Thursday and Friday leaving you drier on Saturday.

this, i used to do this just for weigh ins at boxing (not for fighting, just so coach wouldnt give me a hard time for not losing enough weight lol) so id scull 5-8 litres a day say monday tuesday wednesday thursday, then no water friday but body would keeping pissing it out, by saturday im down a good amount of weight. that was without touching sodium or anything. so sodium aside, water loading does work.

Water loading is indirectly manipulating sodium. Urine contains electrolytes such as sodium and potassium. When you drink lots of water, you're flushing out these electrolytes which causes the level of these electrolytes to drop. When this happens, your body will hold onto less water (piss more) because it wants to maintain a constant concentration of electrolytes in the bloodstream. Just like in the opposite way, if you eat lots of sodium your body holds onto lots of water to keep the electrolyte concentration consistent.

So water loading is going to drop levels of sodium in the body even if sodium intake is kept constant, due to the fact that its being flushed out when you piss.

I think just minimize carbing up at the tradeoff of being fuller. Its a fine balancing act but I don't really think extreme water manipulation is either necessary or beneficial.

I think most people end up screwing it up trying to be smarter than their body... Esp when it comes to taking sodium out completely. Try getting a pump without sodium. It seems to be 90% risk for maybe 10% benefit if you get it 100% right. Most of the time the competitor just needs to get leaner. So many people think their body is just going to transform with some peak week magic.

My dehydration wasnt as extreme as others out there but there was a majour difference in look for my legs/abs.

I was still able to achieve a decent pump.

Btw im not using dehydration as an excuse to not get leaner.

Having followed the thread from the beginning l know that you are responding to feedback given to you.

It is also clear that there is no need to change your approach to sodium management.

The feedback you received said you needed to be drier and that is what you are trying to address.

This is simply management of fluid levels and should be kept simple.

Any changes to sodium are counteracted almost immediately, dropping it will just signal your kidneys to hold onto it making no appreciable difference to the look of your physique whatsoever. The only solute you can really use to manipulate water is glucose (carbs), carb up slowly from wed while keeping well hydrated. the issue is fat not that you're holding water. Keep sodium the same the whole way through your prep, no need to change it at any point.

Aldosterone is the hormone that regulates the output of urine. It is secreted by the adrenal gland. There is about a 2 day delay in up and down regulation of this hormone.

Sodium regulation is independantly of this hormones influence, the body will always act to maintain an optimal consistent sodium level.

Any changes to sodium are counteracted almost immediately, dropping it will just signal your kidneys to hold onto it making no appreciable difference to the look of your physique whatsoever. The only solute you can really use to manipulate water is glucose (carbs), carb up slowly from wed while keeping well hydrated. the issue is fat not that you're holding water. Keep sodium the same the whole way through your prep, no need to change it at any point.

This is the conclusion I came to after doing some research before my last comp. I just monitored sodium in the weeks leading up to the comp then in "peak week " made sure I kept it the same all the way through. Have done the sodium thing before and TBH I felt much better and if anything "dryer" when I didnt mess with sodium. 

Assuming you're the tall guy with the good tan in those pics then 1) you looked amazing. Great balance and condition and 2) if I was working with you I'd say just eat more carbs in the day preceding the comp while restricting water intake. More carbs would soak up a lot of water and help you appear drier. Oh and relax as much as possible.

Just deviating off topic slightly, kingersman you looked great from pics I have seen bro. When you first added me on FB, IG or whatever social media platform it was you looked like you hardly even lifted (no offence). But recently or probably over a longer period you have made some really good improvements and look sick! winning an overall at a bodybuilding comp is a fantastic achievement bro. An achievement some people who bodybuild for a decade never accomplish. Congratulations.

Also you beat jimjim the old member of this forum haha!

Jimjim was really nice. He was sitting there by himself quiet while me,the gf and mates were chatting so included him in. Turns out hes pretty good guy.

I have made a few wee changes and was stoaked to win the overall. This thread was started to see if i could get input/ideas to use for nationals and try claim the national novice title.

All good, I'll just have to be happy with meeting GR Bibby

Good luck. You looked great.

If you can end up looking leaner and harder then go hard. I'm not a bodybuilder by any stretch so I can't help much with water loading etc for appearance wise.

But will follow your progress anyway.

Go hard bro, hopefully that overall novice has your name on it !