New to forum and site and open to learn

Steff73

New to the site, getting back into training, live out of town so gym takes some planning, looking at options for a gym to join or someone to train with, open to new and different training methods.

Live in Canterbury and would appreciate any advice or guidance to avoid some of the pitfulls and false idiots out there.

Too far to travel to Dunedin anyway...lol...just wondering what is good around Canterbury for training and getting the results

Lol well the results are up to you.

But gym wise depends where you live ? You say out of town ? Where ?

I go to Fitness Canterbury which is on Wairakei Road by the Airport, if you're out of town north or west a little it could possibly suit. Definitely a good gym and good equipment.

Personally, I'm of the school of thought that says cardio is not essential for fat-loss. A solid weight-training program will do the job just as well, and builds muscle and strength. (And of course, cardio has its own benefits - but I don't think you need to do cardio to get lean and sacrifice your weight training.)

Either way, you are right in saying your diet needs to be sorted. Neither cardio nor weights will overcome a bad diet!

If you are starting back up from a long lay off, my recommendation would be to reduce yourself to 3 x full body sessions for a good 3-4 weeks. This will get your body use to the gym again but more importantly get you into routine.

After 3-4 weeks reassess and you could start splitting body parts up etc, add cardio etc.

If '73 is your date of birth, I'm guessing you have outside commitments - work? family? which eats into your time. From experiance you have to find a routine which knows works for you and you can maintain. I know for me I can only train 3 - 4 x a week otherwise it is unsustainable and there is nothing worse for motivation when you have a (unachievable) target and fail.

Consistency and a relatively clean diet is the key for results.

Personally, I'm of the school of thought that says cardio is not essential for fat-loss. A solid weight-training program will do the job just as well, and builds muscle and strength. (And of course, cardio has its own benefits - but I don't think you need to do cardio to get lean and sacrifice your weight training.)

Either way, you are right in saying your diet needs to be sorted. Neither cardio nor weights will overcome a bad diet!

To be fair its a diet thing for sure, I dont eat too bad..but always room to improve...the biggest hurdle is a decent gym and a training partner

If you are starting back up from a long lay off, my recommendation would be to reduce yourself to 3 x full body sessions for a good 3-4 weeks. This will get your body use to the gym again but more importantly get you into routine.

After 3-4 weeks reassess and you could start splitting body parts up etc, add cardio etc.

If '73 is your date of birth, I'm guessing you have outside commitments - work? family? which eats into your time. From experiance you have to find a routine which knows works for you and you can maintain. I know for me I can only train 3 - 4 x a week otherwise it is unsustainable and there is nothing worse for motivation when you have a (unachievable) target and fail.

Consistency and a relatively clean diet is the key for results.

Your correct, 73 is the birth year...getting grey around the edges...but wife runs alot and understands the importance of fitness etc, so I can always work around family for the right reasons...