Bulgarian Method For Powerlifters

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/the-bulgarian-method-for-powerlifting/

Came across this about a year ago and it's always intrigued me as to how it would run for a powerlifter. I know that Sebastian Loeb runs a similar version to this for most of his lifters as i had noticed after reading this last year his lifters seemed to following near exactly the plan as laid out in the article and they all seem to do well with rapid increases especially in the squat area. Following that a soon saw a post of a different IG user who obviously had had a falling out with Sebastian saying his Strength system was just a modified Bulgarian method . Not planning on running this myself anytime soon but i have seriously looked at it and wonder if it has any real merit. Obviously nobody could run the actual weightlifting method but the powerlifting method does sound good in theory provided you get your percentage right and don't overreach. What's your guys thoughts on it?

I have done it for squats in the past. I lasted 45 days in the squat rack before I developed some tendonopathy in my knees  :pale:

There wasn't much information other than the Broz's method out there at the time so I went balls to walls every time. When/If I do it next time in the future I will approach it differently I guess. I will have some lighter days in there as well as more self maintenance, and off days etc 

It was a good learning curve. 

Oreb learnt all his stuff off John broz. To be honest about it - All you see is his elite lifters on his videos... What about all the other lifters at his gym? Those lifters would be elite on any program more than likley. Harsh programs man for every successful Bulgarian lifter there are many broken ones, but you never hear about them do you... How long do these people last?

My body couldn't handle maxing out alot I just can't handle it. That's just me. I'm

Not a "pussy" or "soft" just the way it is. i believe in training not testing and its outdated that you need to lift in a high percentage all the time to get stronger in powerlifting. If I can get stronger lifting at a lower percentage than why wouldn't I do that. Want to be lifting for decades not years.

Just my opinion of course.

Yeah I got broken down just on smolov squat lol but that was a lot of volume not singles at 90% etc. One thing I never see with Orebs lifters to is the ones that do good on dead and squat never show much bench. Was just curious If anyone could do iT or has run a modified version. Definitely agree, train smart.

The bulgarian method certainly seperates the wheat from the chaff, as Tom mentioned, what about the lifters that burnt out or got injured? I think you have to be genetically suited to train like that, definitely not for everybody. The key is eccentricless exercise selection, heavy eccentric loadinng is what leads to greater muscle damage/inflammation etc a lot of weightlifting exercises are concentric only and research has shown concentric only exercise allows you to train more often at a higher intensity because you recover quicker. Give it a go in its purest form and if it doesn't work for you, you may have to look at changing your exercise selection

heavy eccentric loadinng is what leads to greater muscle damage/inflammation etc a lot of weightlifting exercises are concentric only and research has shown concentric only exercise allows you to train more often at a higher intensity because you recover quicker.

Heavy eccentric loading is what bodybuilders often use to stimulate growth (and presumably strength), so why not powerlifters? Given adequate recovery, isn't the greater muscle damage a good thing?

Yeah for sure, powerlifters do train with heavy eccentric loading all the time, but to train Bulgarian style you have to avoid it because thats what causes the blow out, fatigue and injuries. But its a conundrum because two of the three lifts contain eccentric portions to the lift, if you try to eliminate that, youre moving away from the principle of specificity, itself an important tenet of Bulgarian programming.