NO SQUAT, NO DEADLIFT.

FUBU

I have been weightlifting for over 10 years now. I have made constant gains over those 10 years. Except, squats and deadlifts have always been nil in my workouts. I always wonder if my gains would have been better if I had incorporated those exercises into my workouts. I'm happy with my gains and I look more built than people who I have seen squatting and deadlifting for years.

I am wanting to know what your opinion is on this. I know a lot of people out there will be saying, "WHHHYY!?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm a spandex man whore, I know."

You'll find a good percentage of people who squat and deadlift (properly) train in a powerlifting style . Low reps for strength not size. You cant really use the argument of not training those two and you're bigger than most of them because I'd dare to say you'd be a lot thicker through back and legs had you done them also. Genetics and diet play a big role to.

I have been weightlifting for over 10 years now. I have made constant gains over those 10 years. Except, squats and deadlifts have always been nil in my workouts. I always wonder if my gains would have been better if I had incorporated those exercises into my workouts. I'm happy with my gains and I look more built than people who I have seen squatting and deadlifting for years.

I am wanting to know what your opinion is on this. I know a lot of people out there will be saying, "WHHHYY!?"

There will be alot of opinions on this but the bottom line is as you said it yourself "you will always be wondering".

Is there a good reason why you have not done them?

It depends on the goals of the individual.

larger compound movements yield greatest work done/rep, which is adventagous for a beginner but as an athlete progresses and becomes more specific in their goals squats and deadlifts do not always provide the best results if these movement patterns are not your goal.

take an enhanced bodybuilder, hypertrophy of a specific muscle is due to damage that stimulates the activation of satlite cells, that damage is irrespective of the CNS so the less you can fatigue the CNS the more volume you can put on the individual muscle (all things equal).

Likewise if your goal is say powerlifting perfoming exercises that don't specifically help a certain movment pattern might not be optimal during a specifcity phase

Measures his strength in another thread by how much he can DB curl.. Then doesn't do Squats and Deads, and questions their effectiveness.

Is this real life ?

Stop training like a phaggot lol

Theres no need to do squats and deadlifts if you dont do powerlifting competitively. Ive done them in the past but IMO for me anyway its not worth training them regularly unless i wanted to get them up for some reason and for example it would probably take 2 months 5-6 sessions to get deadlift up to 320-330ish at the cost of a sore back for those 2 months plus another month or 2 after i stopped doing them.

Id prefer not have a rooted back and knees all of the time affecting my everyday life and as yeelang said its goal dependent.

Would i do them if they didnt f*ck my body? Absolutely

Do i think they're beneficial for building strength and a good physique? Yes

Do i think theyre necessary to building strength and a good physique? No

There will be alot of opinions on this but the bottom line is as you said it yourself "you will always be wondering".

Is there a good reason why you have not done them?

I don't do them for the reasons, Boosting has already stated. I've done short stints where I have tried to incorporate them into my workouts, but they just ended up hurting my lower back. Overall I just found them to be awkward movements for me to perform. Probably just my body type. Thanks, Yeelang, I always find you to be a  a valuable source of information.

Measures his strength in another thread by how much he can DB curl.. Then doesn't do Squats and Deads, and questions their effectiveness.

Is this real life ?

Stop training like a phaggot lol

No, it's not real life you cupcake, you're just dreaming idiot. Don't wake up too. We don't need your insolence in the real world. 

Lol, okay I was half trolling/half serious but okay I'll play.

Obviously there is no definite need to do either of them.

Different goals require different training. And a bit of common sense would dictate that if doing a movement hurts you or hinders your other training then find an alternative that doesn't.

In the original post Fubu didn't say he had any reasons for not doing them or that he had ever tried them. He also said that he was more built than people who he had seen squatting and deadlifting for years etc so implied that the reason he wasn't doing them was because they were ineffective.

There is definitely a point in training where the risk/benefit ratio of doing these movements tips the other way but given what I have read I struggle to believe that Fubu is at this stage. Just because he has been training for 10 years doesn't mean he is advanced enough to make scrap big compounds like these (some people keep them in their programmes on and off over their whole careers)

If they hold you back and do more harm than good then don't do them, but in most cases do them and just make sure you have proper technique/mobility to perform them properly. Don't train like a bro, train smart

I don't do them for the reasons, Boosting has already stated. I've done short stints where I have tried to incorporate them into my workouts, but they just ended up hurting my lower back. Overall I just found them to be awkward movements for me to perform. Probably just my body type. Thanks, Yeelang, I always find you to be a  a valuable source of information.

Is it when the deadlifts get heavy that your back hurts or does picking anything off the ground hurt?

Is it when the deadlifts get heavy that your back hurts or does picking anything off the ground hurt?

Well, I'm very mobile, I ain't a paraplegic. So, yes that does mean that I pick stuff up off the ground all the time, weights too. Both Squats and deadlifts end up hurting my back, and the movements are uncomfortable when I perform them. 

Lol, okay I was half trolling/half serious but okay I'll play.

Obviously there is no definite need to do either of them.

Different goals require different training. And a bit of common sense would dictate that if doing a movement hurts you or hinders your other training then find an alternative that doesn't.

In the original post Fubu didn't say he had any reasons for not doing them or that he had ever tried them. He also said that he was more built than people who he had seen squatting and deadlifting for years etc so implied that the reason he wasn't doing them was because they were ineffective.

There is definitely a point in training where the risk/benefit ratio of doing these movements tips the other way but given what I have read I struggle to believe that Fubu is at this stage. Just because he has been training for 10 years doesn't mean he is advanced enough to make scrap big compounds like these (some people keep them in their programmes on and off over their whole careers)

If they hold you back and do more harm than good then don't do them, but in most cases do them and just make sure you have proper technique/mobility to perform them properly. Don't train like a bro, train smart

I do alternatives. i.e farmers walk, leg press, dumbbell squats, leg extensions, lying leg curls. I really would like to able to do squats and deadlifts.

Your form is probably shit from lack of not doing it often. Also your movement pattern and bar path is probably shit too for the same reason. This is ok and is easily fixable.

I'm not doubting you are a strong guy. Lots of people in the gym who never train the barbell squat or conventional deadlift but train hard and get big can normally lift quite decent weights on these exercises without actually doing them. So you could probably squat and deadlift 200kg. But if you are going straight to 200kg without having done then then this is where you might run into problems. I'm using 200kg as an example weight btw. But if you are going heavy on them then drop the weight back until you get good at and feel comfortable with the movements.

But as said before if you don't want to do them then don't.

Your form is probably shit from lack of not doing it often. Also your movement pattern and bar path is probably shit too for the same reason. This is ok and is easily fixable.

Fubu, I used to not be able to squat well at all, always would go gym, warmup, try squat 110ish (at the time was heavy for me) and would always be shit, shallow, didnt feel right etc.

decided to do more squats and  ditch ego start out light, did stronglifts 5x5 program (doesnt matter what program, you could do anything) this had me squatting 3x a week, and started at 40kg 5x5, increased 2.5kg each sessioin. by the time i was doing 100 5x5 i was a lot better, and few weeks later 130 5x5 i would say acceptable form. still not as deep as id like on heavy singles etc mainly because im a pussy, but it definitely helped to ditch ego go light for an extended period of time, squatting frequently helped too.

all the numbers in here are irrelevant really, just saying start light, work up slowly, by the time you are squatting good numbers your form will be good, so you will get stronger at it and better at it, 2 birds 1 stone

same with deadlift really.

obviously tldr ignore if you aren't interested, but if you want to squat and deadlift i would say start light and practice heaps

Are you contemplating time travel to go back and include deadlifts and squats?

Did you watch the movie Sliding Doors at the weekend?

Are you contemplating time travel to go back and include deadlifts and squats?

Did you watch the movie Sliding Doors at the weekend?

post-8540-0-35899300-1426594101_thumb.jp

Duh, Patrick! What do you think. I am contemplating on trying them again, after reading a few of the positive and more civilised posts on this thread. 

@Skeletor. Why the hell would you even mention Kaitlyn Jenner? Was that all you had spiraling around in that noggin of yours?

Fubu, check out the topic Katipo started on the effects of body proportions on squats. I don't know whether it was posted with you in mind, but it's exactly what you're talking about.

Personally, I hated deadlifts and avoided them for years. Then I tried sumo deadlifts, and was amazed by how much better they felt. Now I only hate deadlifts a little bit.

I saw that video already, someone linked that video a while ago. Thanks, Tom for showing me how to perform deadlifts tonight, and the other tips you gave me. For once, I actually felt it in the hamstrings and not the lower back. It all comes down to technique, also, getting the right person to show you properly. I will definitely start using them in my workouts now. I found out tonight that my hamstrings have been neglected in my workouts. Time to train them up, I think.

I saw that video already, someone linked that video a while ago. Thanks, Tom for showing me how to perform deadlifts tonight, and the other tips you gave me. For once, I actually felt it in the hamstrings and not the lower back. It all comes down to technique, also, getting the right person to show you properly. I will definitely start using them in my workouts now. I found out tonight that my hamstrings have been neglected in my workouts. Time to train them up, I think.

No worries bro. We'll do some squats on Monday