Paleo diet? We've moved on since then

Pseudonym

What constantly frustrates me is the inability of writers to take a balanced or objective position when constructing articles on nutrition. Both of these articles have merit but neither come up with constructive guidelines for people to rely on. And both of them fail to acknowledge other contributors to a fully balanced lifestyle.

It is clear that intolerances are becoming more recognised and that we need to adjust our nutritional standards. Rates of obesity and associated illnesses are on the rise, societies nutritional habits are not healthy and those who denigh or avoid this are not taking a balanced view.

Personally I think there is merit to some of the Paeo philosophy but l would not adopt it completely, and society as a whole need to modify their nutritional standards when considering the consumption of fructose based foods to protect the most easily influenced (children).

I don't really get why people buy into any particular system unless it works for them and suits their lifestyle. I do understand trying things if they make sense but regardless what system you decide on.. if you wanna gain then excess cals and if you wanna lose then deficit cals. It really is that simple. As to what's the most optimal.. optimal for an individual is the system that they can actually adhere too :) both in terms lifestyle and emotionally.

I'm on a paleo kind of like diet at the moment. It is working better than just eating eggs. I feel healthier and making some good gains at the gym, I'm db curling 38kg with a bit of a swing for 5-7reps. I can do 40kg at the moment, but form is pretty shitty. I don't wear any equipment other than wrist wraps. I owe it to eating meat, vege, fruit, and strict carb intake.

It is clear that intolerances are becoming more recognised and that we need to adjust our nutritional standards. Rates of obesity and associated illnesses are on the rise, societies nutritional habits are not healthy and those who denigh or avoid this are not taking a balanced view.

Nope.

The amount of web-space and facebook posts about intolerances has increased in recent years.  This doesn't mean it is more recognised; only that there is more being said about it by more people.  Medical practitioners and science hasn't changed.  Non-celiacs gluten intolerance still not a thing.  Lactose intolerance still a thing.  Yadda yadda.

Stupid people make poor lifestyle decisions and, over time, become obese and/or ill.  Breaking: water is wet.

A funny example was seen on some UK fat people show - fat guy has cereal for breakfast "because it's healthy".  Maybe not when you're having 2500 kcals of it.  Fatties gonna fat.

Before freaking out about dietary habits, how about we address the fact that people don't even know what a calorie is.  Food anxiety is extremely damaging - far more than eating some fucking fruit.

By your logic, the safety of vaccines has never been more questionable.  Hippy blogs and conspiracy nutjobs generally fail to add to our body of knowledge in any field.  Certainly true in this case.  They make a lot of noise though.  Kinda like small dogs.  Ya can't trust them.

• 1 month later...

I tried Paleo. Brought the Pete Evans cookbook and all the very expensive ingredients.

Unfortunately it was a complete waste of my time and money. It all tasted horrible. I felt like I was eating way too many carbs for my body. I didn't have time to 'activate' my nuts overnight or spend 8 hours in the kitchen while my nut and seed crackers baked. Chia seed porridge is like eating slime and savoury pastry made from coconut flour is not savoury people! 

I think it has it's place but it had absolutely no beneficial affect on me at all.

And then, to add to it, I starting questioning my morals as I didn't grow organic veggies, or know where my meat came from and if it was being treated humanely. Or maybe that's just the Pete Evans opinon???

I tried Paleo. Brought the Pete Evans cookbook and all the very expensive ingredients.

Pete Evans is an idiot

Uses his MKR judging celebrity status to advocate stupid diets

Have you seen the bone broth for babies? meal replacement soup for babies.. ok.jpg

OMG! Don't get me started on that! :madman: It was about that time that I lost the faith.

haha i live in Australia and there was a big uproar over it, the publisher pulled the book and some sponsors of MKR threatened to pull out of the show also. 

nutritionists assessed the recipe and said it was going to be dangerously high in some vitamins, and dangerously low in all sorts of essential things

what did he expect really though, boiled bones and offal instead of milk for a baby? haha

• 1 month later...