Article - People Who Post About Doing Exercise On Facebook Often Have Serious Psychological Problems

Phedder

http://news.yahoo.com/people-who-post-about-doing-exercise-on-facebook-often-have-serious-psychological-problems-060256547.html

Something most members of this forum are surely familiar with, and often critical of. More than enough 'athlete' pages out there, that's for sure!

Facebook posts detailing people’s ‘personal bests’ at running are among the biggest annoyances on the social network - up there with baby photos. 

But it turns out that people who post obsessively about their healthy meals and exercise are often narcissists - a personality trait where people ‘need’ attention. 

People who posted frequently about their romantic partner often had low self-esteem, according to the Brunel University researchers, who surveyed 555 Facebook users. 

The researchers wrote, ‘Narcissists also wrote more status updates about their diet and exercise routine, suggesting that they use Facebook to broadcast the effort they put into their physical appearance.’

The researchers found that people often ‘Liked’ and responded to such posts - delivering the attention that the narcissistic posters craved.

Psychology lecturer Dr Tara Marshall, from Brunel University London, said: “Although our results suggest that narcissists’ bragging pays off because they receive more likes and comments to their status updates, it could be that their Facebook friends politely offer support while secretly disliking such egotistical displays. 

‘Greater awareness of how one’s status updates might be perceived by friends could help people to avoid topics that annoy more than they entertain.’

i think there is a difference between posting what you do in general, be it lifting, whatever, or just posting constant progress pics/lift videos so people compliment you.

for example on ig i post lifting videos but i also post photos of my c*nt chihuahuas and general shit that interests me in my day to day life

some people post a progress pic every 2 days (no progress between pics) so they get heaps of likes each time

i think there is a difference between posting what you do in general, be it lifting, whatever, or just posting constant progress pics/lift videos so people compliment you.

Absolutely, Soundsgood you're safe because most of it's from an athlete page, and generally impressive. On your personal page, given that you compete in 3 different iron sports, run a powerlifting organisation, and run a fitness business, people know what they're signing up for haha. Even if your behaviour could be described as attention seeking (I don't think it is) that's to the benefit of GPC, and MuscleFuel. 

Specifically those people that just post selfies non stop with bullshit inspirational quotes overlaid, or even worse 'throw back tuesday/thursday' (usually both) pictures from when they used to look good, because they're dirty bulking now and look like shit. 

I'm having a cynical day hah. 

I'll see your cynicism and raise you one, Phedder...

How about the current trend of humble-bragging? This requires posting an inspirational comment talking about how you stay humble, accompanied by a photo carefully art directed to display your physique from the best possible angle in the best possible light. :pfft:

I've seen a heap like this recently. But they don't seem to see the irony.

A truly humble person will not tell you they are humble, because that's an arrogant thing to say. But yeah iv seen it, a competition to see who can be the most humble. Last one I saw people were bragging about donating money to charities and all sorts of petty bullshit.

It's like the "Envious" post... Telling everyone that because someone doesn't like you they are envious of you and jealous of what you have and what you have done....

No, 99/100 it's actually because you are just a fuckwit. Yes it really is that simple.

I just reposted a quote about remaining humble because ive been so poor I could barely feed my kids and I've still got a long way to go but I'd never want to be one of those rich cunts that talk down to everyone. It's a reminder not to think you're on top of the world and not forget where you came from. I also share everything on my page. Workouts, family, jokes, things I buy, food. Me.

Totally agree with the article.

But you can't tell the people that do this, that this is the case as you are a "hater" or "keyboard warrior". 

I find myself a lot more often not even being bothered with facebook because of this its frustrating how ignorant people can be and the whole bangwagon situation that continues to go on.   

Also people that post a photo and tag like 50 ppl in it "thanking them" get real you did that so everyone sees it (pic of moe with 30+ people tagged in it is a good example )

Generally when that happens to me I post some sarcastic tripe... then they don't tag you on shit anymore. I also like how people send friend requests to everyone you know who might be interested in their garbage. Marketing 101 for social media. Oh well..