Mini Cut 3+ Weeks...

Rebel101

This is a new experience for me...

This year we are trying to do a mini cut to bring body composition to line up for an easier competition preparation.

So over the period of the next three weeks I get to pretend I am in pre competition mode and do the necessary diet regime and associated cardio.

Exactly where I end up will be determined by Aylmer as I think he is going for a particular look rather than a body fat percentage.

Must admit I am not unhappy to be reducing my food intake and kind off look forward to actually being hungry for a change.

Anyway macros for the next three or so weeks will be 198g protein, 70g carbs, 40g fats.

Sounds good. So will you go back to bulking after these 3 weeks, or just a maintenance approach? When does the competition preparation start for real?

Now there is a good question, I might just have to start a topic on that!

I guess I would say it depends on your definition of bulking.

After this mini cut it will only be about 5 weeks and I will be in precontest mode as from early July. So no point really in putting on alot of weight just to have to take it off again in 5 weeks.

However I kind of think that if you are not growing then you are going backwards. In my position I have to either be growing or cutting (I have so much catch up work to do, given the girls I have to compete against).

So I guess my answer would be that I will go back to the off season diet I was on before the mini cut and look at only allowing say 0.25kg gain a week if that. So if you call that bulking then yes I am.

It always seems that adjustments we make to the nutrition are just so fine, I do not always fully comprehend the reasons but do as I am told.

Todays adjustment is to drop the protein slightly and increase the fat components of my macros. So this I do now using protein 185g, carbohydrate 70g, fat 56g.

This week has been easy enough apart from changing my training program to heavier and lower reps, this has bought on pain. But as I am told conserving muscle mass is important and this is the way to do it.

Being the first week of diet no problems with maintaining the consistency of the diet.

The nutrition level has changes for 3350 cals to 1530 calories and I have been in ketosis since day three.

All good at moment but it will take till the end of next week to really see some change in physiqe, which is what I look forward to. Maybe I should take some pictures to show the start position.

Ok so got some photos today with some help from my husband. Current weight 75 kg with 16.5% body fat.

Just as well it is a start point, I have done as requested and yes I know the logic you got to be prepared to concede some additional weight in order to gain size. This I have done and time to see the gains now!

post-10836-0-41440000-1431310856_thumb.j

post-10836-0-28973700-1431310924_thumb.j

post-10836-0-35279300-1431311004_thumb.j

Hmm looking at the photos from last year has made me take some stock of were I am at.

Last year in mid May I was 76 kg at 15% body fat. And boy did that stir up some controversy.

This year at 75 kg and 16.5% body fat I seem to be leaner which at first consideration does give credence to the opinions last year that my body fat was alot higher than 15%. Which it may well have been, and yes I know that it is not the absolute measurement that was important but the consistency of it.

But I must admit I like to keep within a certain % range.

So this year Aylmer made the call to change how he measured my body fat and at first it caused me concern as it measured higher than before.

The trouble is I do not fit within the "average physique" range that all body fat % are calculated on. All body fat calculations at some point are based on assumptions which can include your workout level of the individual, age, and maybe body type. I simply do not meet the average range and so there will always be some conjecture as to how to measure my body fat. So like it or not, now my measurements are done as a male (gulp, now don't you guys give me shit over this). The bottom line is that now the reading is theoretically closer to what it should be!

thought about finding a dexa scan somewhere? 

they are brutally honest i found

Yes I have but I would want it doing regularly if I was to use it.

At the end of the day now I am not that concerned over body fat levels.

Aylmer now tends to assess me by look, for example this three week mini diet will go on until he advises me not to anymore, his assessment is visual. Which I guess is what judges are doing too.

Also bottom line I am no longer afraid of numbers, I know exactly what fat loss I can achieve at certain nutritional levels and I just have to do the maths to know how long to diet for. I also know exactly what I need to do if I need to lose fat faster so, assessment is now kinda irrelevant.

You're massive! In a good bodybuilder way of course lol.

Thanks Realtalk appreciated, have been working away at it, as you are aware I am chasing some big girls.

This year I think getting the cuts will be the measure of my abilities.

Aylmer has done all the ground work, with chins and pullovers building width, and shoulders trained consistently hard.

But it is only me that can follow the diet and finish off the job.

It is interesting trying to do a 3 week mini diet, really sometimes it can be difficult staying on track as I know that this is not formal pre contest diet that is absolutely set.

I always find the first couple of weeks more difficult as my body switches into ketosis and little improvement is obvious as you flatten off and go through carb withdrawl.

However this 3 weeks is an interesting experiment for me.

I have a safe zone when dieting that if I eat 1200 cals and do 6.5 hours of cardio then I know I will loss 1.6 kg of weight per week on average.

This time I am dieting on 1530 cals and only doing 3 hours of cardio, I will be able to evaluate if the increased calories and decreased cardio are enough to meet my plans, this being the case this years pre contest prep will be a little easier.

I guess this is the benefit of being prepared like Aylmer always tells me. And yes I know all you guys know this stuff it just takes a little to learn it and put it into practice!

• 2 weeks later...

It always amazes me how long it really take to get into the routine of a diet. I have just settled into a regular pattern with my training and diet and with little over a week to go I am just beginning to get comfortable.

Clearly Aylmer has got a look he is wanting to get to and I definitely am not there yet so the diet may go on for a little longer than three weeks.

It is always interesting to see changes in physique as fat levels come down and how this compares to previous years.

I can see that dieting with more calories and less cardio has a beneficial effect on muscle retention.

It does take some relearning of prior practices and the confidence to know it will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done my three weeks and yes Aylmer has extended it for another two weeks!

I have learnt a lot about my diet and how I handle some components of food. I started off at 75 kg and currently are 68.5 kg so have come down a long way. Yes I know when I go back to carbs my weight will come back up a couple of kilos! I hope to come down another 1.5 kg before the diet ends.

Body fat started at 16.5% now at 15.2% and Aylmer has said I have to be under 14 before I can come off diet yikes!

I know I could drop faster if I cut my diet further but that is not an option 1550 cal is what I have to use so I guess more cardio is my only option.

I always find it amusing how nobody notices you in the gym until you start cutting and then it is like "oh how have you got so big so quickly" as always the reply is it has taken a year to get these improvements!

Will take some more photos when the mini cut is finished!

Well done my three weeks and yes Aylmer has extended it for another two weeks!

I have learnt a lot about my diet and how I handle some components of food. I started off at 75 kg and currently are 68.5 kg so have come down a long way. Yes I know when I go back to carbs my weight will come back up a couple of kilos! I hope to come down another 1.5 kg before the diet ends.

Body fat started at 16.5% now at 15.2% and Aylmer has said I have to be under 14 before I can come off diet yikes!

I know I could drop faster if I cut my diet further but that is not an option 1550 cal is what I have to use so I guess more cardio is my only option.

I always find it amusing how nobody notices you in the gym until you start cutting and then it is like "oh how have you got so big so quickly" as always the reply is it has taken a year to get these improvements!

Will take some more photos when the mini cut is finished!

Too true.  I've only just started and have had 3 comments in the last week about how much better my back & delts are looking.  LOL - they've always looked that way, they were just covered in a little more fat!

Sounds like Alymer has a great plan for you this season.  What comps are you aiming for?

Too true.  I've only just started and have had 3 comments in the last week about how much better my back & delts are looking.  LOL - they've always looked that way, they were just covered in a little more fat!

Sounds like Alymer has a great plan for you this season.  What comps are you aiming for?

Yes Aylmer has plans ok and I do not always understand just comply with his instructions.

I might do NZIFBB Hamilton, and Nationals then the NABBA Nationals, what are you doing, would be great to see u on stage again!