Newbie - Female

Hey all, I've just joined to ask a few questions as I don't really know where to start looking. 

There is a lot of info out there for males but I haven't found a lot for females so if someone can point me in the right direction it would be awesome. 

I've been toying with the idea of doing a novice powerlifting comp but have NO idea at all if I would be anywhere near competitive or not. 

Are there any rough guides out there for females lifts? 

My bench is my weakest but I am going to start working on this more to build it up - am a little bit off body weight bench. 

My deadlift is my strongest and I can almost double body weight deadlift (have done it a couple of times before but it was a few months back and I was a few kg lighter, so prob a few kg off it at the moment)

And my squat is getting there slowly after an ankle injury last year, I am at a little over 1.5BW. 

Given I am part self taught, with some help from my partner (bodybuilder), I would also love some advice on the rules etc to ensure lifts count. 

Thanks for reading (that very long winded intro!). 

Amanda :)

just sign up and compete, thats what i did and had heaps of fun

if you want help with your lifts, maybe post a video here. For depth check on squats or from issues. They are heaps of really smart guys

if you want to make sure they adhere to the rules of the fed you are going to compete in, read the rule book 

Hey Amanda, welcome!

With those lifts (2x BW dead, 1.5x BW squat) you're definitely already on the way!

The New Zealand Powerlifting Federation (NZPF) is regionally based, but in each region (Northland, Auckland, Waikato/BOP, Central Districts, Canterbury and Southern). Each has some people who'd be happy to help.

Check out New Zealand Powerlifting on FB, or www.cdpowerlifting.org.nz, which has some really good resources. Powerhouse Gym also posts competition videos on YouTube - see powerhousegymnz .

Spacebound is right - find a novice comp and do it! At a novice comp, the officials will be only too happy to give you pointers as the comp unfolds.

Welcome Amanda!

As it happens, I saw one of these floating around the other day. It's Australian though, so if I can find it, I'll post it as a new topic, and the guys can tell you how closely it applies to the NZ competition environment.

RealTalk's going to post the GPC lifts in the Powerlifting Benchmarks thread.  A good place to look for NZPF is on FB - most associations post their results there, so you can see all three attempts in each of the three lifts.

Thanks so much everyone! I think I'll head along to a meet to watch at some point soon just to check it out and then look to enter a novice comp! 

I am in Wanganui so happy to travel within a couple of hours somewhere, Palmy, Wellington, Taranaki or Napier way would all be ok. 

I see there is nationals in Taranaki at the start of June so might head up to that one to have a nosy then there is a novice comp a week later, not sure where though but this might be a go! 

Wanganui's well placed - there are some great lifters in Palmerston.  There's a good team at Zenith Fitness there. 

Central Districts runs comps in Palmerston, Kapiti, Masterton and Wellington... it's a bit quite at the moment, but in September there'll be comps in Kapiti and Masterton, and Wellington in November. 

Also, on May 24th CrossFit Horowhenua in Levin is hosting a seminar on powerlifting by three Palmerston-based lifters including two with experience at world-champs level. Check out their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/events/354864994717788/ 

Hey moveloveeat was in the same boat as you about a year ago, and finally got the courage to enter my first competition in November. Definitely one of the best things I have ever done - have done a couple more since then and have caught the bug!

I'm over in Palmy at Zenith and we havw an awesome setup so if your ever over these ways and keen to throw some weights around let me know! :-)

I'm chasing an answer on that June comp, will post when I get it.  

The answer too that question seems very elusive!! Am also trying to find the price to watch the Nationals the week before that as well if anyone knows? We have booked accomodation but need to find out where we are going and how much $ we need!

Hey moveloveeat was in the same boat as you about a year ago, and finally got the courage to enter my first competition in November. Definitely one of the best things I have ever done - have done a couple more since then and have caught the bug!

I'm over in Palmy at Zenith and we havw an awesome setup so if your ever over these ways and keen to throw some weights around let me know! :-)

Ooh that would be awesome! We should come over for a session some time, would be good to through some weights around with people who have done a comp before!

The answer too that question seems very elusive!! Am also trying to find the price to watch the Nationals the week before that as well if anyone knows? We have booked accomodation but need to find out where we are going and how much $ we need!

the Auckland Nationals are GPC, so hopefully one of their members on here like Soundsgood or Realtalk would know.

Other dates to consider are the NZPF Classic Champs in Auckland 9-12 July, or the NZPF Nationals (both classic and "equipped" lifters) at Powerhouse in August.

The Classic Champs coincides with the Fitness Expo in Auckland, and the Sunday lifting will be at the Expo.

Powerhouse is in Wellington, http://powerhousegym.co.nz/ - 272 Taranaki Street.  It's definitely worth a look if you're down this way.  

I've been digging - one version of the CDPA calendar had the June Novice in Palmerston, but the Palmy crew are too busy.  That means it's likely to be in Wellington, and if that's the case, it'll be at either Powerhouse or Kapiti Powerlifting Club in Paraparaumu.  

if you get to Palmerston to talk to Bridie and the Zenith crew, ask Bridie about the Powerhouse Open she did last year... it's in November, is always at Powerhouse, and is a really good comp. 

Thank you! If it's in wellington I'll enter that one, not too far for us to travel! Might look at doing that one (when entry stuff is confirmed and up!) and potentially the three lift at the mount and maybe look at doing the November one at Powerhouse. Let's see if I survive the first one first ;) 

This just in... The CDPA Bench Champs and Novice Three-lift has been rescheduled to July. It will be in Palmerston North. They'll announce the date shortly, once some details have been sorted.

Awesome news! Thank you, looking forward to the date being announced so I can lock it in! Now to stay under the weight class I am bordering on ;)

Awesome news! Thank you, looking forward to the date being announced so I can lock it in! Now to stay under the weight class I am bordering on ;)

We all have that challenge from time to time :)  I'll be at the comp, either spotting, reffing or on the PA, it should be a good day.

Did you make it to CrossFit Horowhenua for the seminar?

We all have that challenge from time to time :)  I'll be at the comp, either spotting, reffing or on the PA, it should be a good day.

Did you make it to CrossFit Horowhenua for the seminar?

Awesome will meet you there :) Yep we sure did, was a great event, thanks for the heads up! Feeling slightly more confident about entering a comp now!