NZ National Arm Wrestling Championships

Pseudonym

NZ Armwrestling presents the 2015 National Armwrestling Championships at The Flying Moa.

The Flying Moa is a family friendly pub and everyone is welcome to come along to support or to compete and see who is the best Armwrestler in New Zealand.

This Championship is open to everyone and will be for Right and Left hand.

There are prizes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Armwrestlers will be divided in their weight class.

Current weight classes - Mens: 80kg, 90kg, 100kg and 110kg plus*

Ladies: One Class

Weigh In: 10am - 12am

Competition Starts: 13:00

Entry Fee: $10 per Arm (Member), $15 per Arm (Non-Member)

For more info please visit http://nzarmwrestling.co.nz/

Lots of grip strength and forearm exercises, I'd imagine. Probably more than biceps.

HumanPerformance trains/trained one of NZ's top arm wrestlers... maybe he can tell us.

Very well,

Yes I train the NZ 110kg champion (whom wont be competing this year due to too many international buisness trips) .........arm wrestling is a very specific type of strength that incorperates the enitire upper body. The training needed also depends on the technique you use whilst competing. Some styles are more lat dominant, some are more tricep dominant, 2 muscles for example that you wouldnt think are important performing arm wrestling.

If you truly want to become a good arm wrestler you have to "arm wrestle" .You can get stronger with the associated muscles by strength training them in the gym but the ability to transpose that newly aquired strength to "pulling ability" (arm wrestlers call it puling) takes practice, practice, practice. One of the biggest surprises to someone taking up arm wrestling is the constant dull ache you will experience in your entire arm for the first couple of months. This is not a muscular pain but rather a deep constant ache in the bones of your arm that just dosent go away. John Brzenk (world champ for 20 years and absolute arm wrestling god) best descibed it as a "tooth ache in your arm". There is no training outside of actualy "pulling" that will prepare the skeletal structures for this transitional phase the arm most go through. The best way to achieve this is too join an arm wrestling club and regularly pull against a variety of different people. Arm wrestlers are they friendliest bunch of guys you will meet and happily advise you on what technique they think would work best for you. These clubs are not a bunch of guys that meet up and just arm wrestle. They know the sport inside out and regularly research the latest pulling and training techniques being used overseas. The number of different techniques competitors use, and what works best against this or that technique will blow your mind.

As for actual training techniques to supplement your pulling and increase your pulling power? Close grip pull ups (nuetral grip), heavy partial dumbell preacher curls (there is a particular technique to this where you move your body backwards and forwrds with the dumbbell, and only in the top half of the movement) . Cable work that replicates the pulling movement you use the most. As Pseudo said alot of forearm work is needed, and its no coincedience that my client Joel (the NZ champion) is also the only person in NZ that can close a number "3 Captains of crush Gripper". General strength training for all upper body muscles should also be employed, with an emphasis on working the muscles that are used the most in your chosen "pulling" style.

Humanperformance -  i though he could close the 3.5.or 4 gripper, iv closed the 300lb heavy grippers before pretty easily havent tryed anythin higher.

Armwrestling is mostly and mainly built on a proper armwrestling table nothing beats it if you want to get better at it ,youd most likey want to work on your weaknesses so that dont get exploited on the tables and on all the different techniques so you become more versatile and well rounded, very first and probably one of the most important is getting a good grip up because alot are won and lost from that alone then bein able to hit hard and fast or be able to stop a hard hit is a big thing aswell where nearly every match is lost, theres so much things to learn and train its just to much to explain.

i was the 100kg and 110kg champ i think Joel placed 2nd to me in the 110kg class i did 2 classes that day when we competed, i havent done it in awhile but wont take long to get back up there.

oh shit ive had the dull ache in the bone, always wondered what the hell it was. Its terrible, wasnt sure if id done something to my tendons or if it was tennis elbow or what the f*ck, it was so hard to explain to anyone. But i had done it from arm wrestling.

Has it affected your training?, or do you just work around it? 

typical doms for me is 2 days then pain is gone, but that  "toothache in your arm scenario" prolly go on for weeks.