Compartmentalised Training

Greetings all,

I'm thinking of compartmentalising my training this year...once I come off the summer shred/maintenance phase (early March)

10 weeks strength training...

15 weeks mass training...(trying to make the most of any strength gains made)

Both intermixed with a rest/maintenance week about every 5 weeks or so...

Then moving onto a cutting / maintenance phase...keep what I can...lose any excess water/fat I may have picked up...

People's thoughts on breaking things up this way?

Good question. That style of training makes sense to me.

Typically low-rep, heavy strength training is quite hard on the tendons and joints, so switching over to higher-rep mass training gives your body a chance to recover.

Conversely, strength training helps your mass training because it helps you push more weight, and therefore get more out of your mass training phases.

Switching the two gives you another area to focus on when you hit a plateau on one. Besides, it just keeps things interesting. :)

have heard of good results from doing 1x strength and 1x hypertrophy session for each upper and lower so training 4x a week, 2x upper 2x lower body, rather than putting it into blocks of x weeks strength then x weeks hypertrophy

also im a little sceptical when people say strength training isn't optimal for growth as i personally grow just as well if not better while training for strength with low rep heavier weight as when im doing 10-12 rep sets in a bodypart split, everyones different find what works for you.

This is called periodisation, Arnold and then used to do it. It's old school and there are better ways of doing things these days.

ideal situation would you train mainly strength focus with odd hypertrophy day (or vice versa) ? 

or combination of both each workout

prob overthinking it in any case just lift shit and growth happens i always figure

DUP seems pretty popular these days and it mixs up the rep ranges, and some guys seem to get pretty freakishly strong from that style.

Plus some guys train in the high reps (10-20+) for strength, well george leeman does anyway and apparently has had success training others that way.

But as Realtalk said periodisation as been around for ages. Many advance lifters use it, like volume/intensity/etc/etc.

I think 'mass training' is more correlated with diet than anything else. 

Best thing to do is try it and it and see how it works for you

This is called periodisation, Arnold and then used to do it. It's old school and there are better ways of doing things these days.

What would you suggest, and what makes it better? (genuine question)

What's DUP, Spacebound? I've never heard of it.

dup = daily undulating periodisation 

Im no expert or even very knowledgeable about it. But the basics are kinda like this, you do your lifts mutliple times per week, for example bench x3 squat x2 deadlift x2. So you will do these lifts each week split up on whatever days. Each day will have different rep ranges

monday, squat 3x10, bench 4x5

tuesday, off

wednesday bench 3x10, deadlift 6x3

thrusday, off

Friday, Squat 6x3, Bench 6x3

Saturday, off

Sunday, Deadlift 4x5

plus accessories throughout 

Just something i just made up, and each days rep range has an intensity, so you get some low rep and high rep work. But this is then set out in training blocks so for a training cycle you might have 3 blocks. In which there maybe/will be some variation in rep ranges and sets, this then leads to a general theme of progressively increasing volume over the cycle. 

couldnt see why it couldnt work on a 'bodybulding' style routine, as its more of a idea/philosophy of training. just use  different exercises at different frequencies, plus more accessory work tailored towards individual goals. 

disclaimer, im probably wrong haha

Thanks for the feed back guys - much appreciated  ;-)

I'm thinking of starting the strength program early to mid-March...

Currently running a 'maintenance phase' modified from Doug Brignole 'super-torq' training...

50-40-30-20-10 (progressive up) + 2 x 8 (heavy)

Single exercise / body part (different exercise each week) until I plan out what I will do next...

e.g.

week 1 incline bb bench

week 2 incline db fly

week 3 decline bb press

week 4 db stretch

Keeping working out times pretty short during my lunch break (generally in & out in 45 mins)