Recommend a sports doctor in Auckland - knee pain

FatherOfMany

Hi all,

My first post here.

I set up a home gym towards the end of December, just a power cage, bench and some weights and started following the SL5x5 program.

I used to do weights some 20+ years ago, but didn't really do squats back then.

Training's been going well, but I'm not sure I'm doing squats right and last night (not a training night) I had some pain on the outside of my left knee. 2 years ago I hurt my knee in the shower and a chiro told me I have the start arthritis in my knees, which I forgot about until my wife reminded me last night.

when I say not doing squats right: I know that my flexibility is really bad and on videos I've taken of myself my back doesn't look very straight, but I don't know what to do about that.

So 2 questions really:

1) How should I tackle this? Is it a question of experimenting and watching videos until I get the squat right or do I need to go see somebody?

2) Can anyone recommend a sports doctor in Auckland who could help me with this.

Any advice will be appreciated.

- Dirk

Hi all,

My first post here.

I set up a home gym towards the end of December, just a power cage, bench and some weights and started following the SL5x5 program.

I used to do weights some 20+ years ago, but didn't really do squats back then.

Training's been going well, but I'm not sure I'm doing squats right and last night (not a training night) I had some pain on the outside of my left knee. 2 years ago I hurt my knee in the shower and a chiro told me I have the start arthritis in my knees, which I forgot about until my wife reminded me last night.

when I say not doing squats right: I know that my flexibility is really bad and on videos I've taken of myself my back doesn't look very straight, but I don't know what to do about that.

So 2 questions really:

1) How should I tackle this? Is it a question of experimenting and watching videos until I get the squat right or do I need to go see somebody?

2) Can anyone recommend a sports doctor in Auckland who could help me with this.

Any advice will be appreciated.

- Dirk

Post a video of yourself squatting on here. 

Will be plenty of people that could help you adjust form. It maybe done to flexibly so increasing the frequency that your stretching may help a lot. Also if your having issues with your knee might be worth getting some knee sleeves they keep you knee warm, feel wicked on the knees 

We can cetrainly recommend a sports doc if you need, but at this stage that sounds like overkill to me. I think it would be worth getting your squatting form checked first, and if you still have trouble, then go and see a physio or sports doc.

Like Jimmybro says, post up a video and we'll take a look.

• 1 month later...