City Fitness gym membership cost?

Ronny

Where are you based? Unless you're a student (3 month membership available) Your options are a 1 year minimum on contract, or a monthly membership (obviously more expensive) In any case if you go in towards the end of the month, especially the last 3-4 days, you can probably get it a little bit cheaper per week. Sales teams trying to make their monthly targets can drop prices, so you might get lucky. 

Great tip Phedder, cheers for that! I'm based in Christchurch, and yes I'm a part-time student, but I'm just wondering if a 3-month membership would still end up more expensive on a weekly-basis than year-long. I'll have to go in and find out.

• 2 weeks later...

First post since I signed up 5 years ago :)

I just got a  City Fitness membership from trademe for $14.90 per week. The seller paid the transfer fee, and it has 8 months left on it. Thats the best way to get a low cost membersip in my opinion (I sold gym memberships for a while a few years back).

They are pretty adament on not waiving the joining fee if you sign up with a new membership. I spoke to two membership consultants there and they both told me they couldnt do it. However I know an ex  City Fitness staff member who says yes they often do waive them - so negotiate as hard as you can. 

Edit: Also take note that City Fitness try hard to make you sign up on the spot (eg the first time you walk in). I was told that the joining fee was $99 normally, however it would be halved if I signed up right then and there. They said as soon as I step foot out the door it will go back up to $99. One way around this is going into 1  City Fitness to try to negotiate a membership, and if they don't budge, you can always go to another one and keep your 'first visit' discount there.

used to sell memberships at a cityfitness in wellington up until about a yr ago, the student membership back then was 15.90/w for 4 months. i think their prices were overhauled since then, but i doubt it changes by more than a dollar

First post since I signed up 5 years ago Smile

Just launched your website? Blum 3

Anyway... welcome, finally!

Haha, not just launched, but putting more effort in, yes! *good* Promise quality posts though!

Something else I just remembered - CityFitness hasgood deals for a large number of businesses. So if you are with a big company - ASB, AA, PwC etc - it is worth asking the corporate rates. In fact ask this anyway, I'm sure they have dozens of smaller companies signed up to get good rates too.

First post since I signed up 5 years ago Smile

Just launched your website? Blum 3

Anyway... welcome, finally!

Haha, not just launched, but putting more effort in, yes! Good Promise quality posts though!

Something else I just remembered - CityFitness hasgood deals for a large number of businesses. So if you are with a big company - ASB, AA, PwC etc - it is worth asking the corporate rates. In fact ask this anyway, I'm sure they have dozens of smaller companies signed up to get good rates too.

Yep, and it can be done on an individual club by club basis for local businesses. I believe they need to get 10 people to sign up together from a certain business or association (golf clubs etc) and then they all qualify for corporate rates. 

• 3 months later...

I pay about $18/w on a two-year contract (already expired years ago so officially on no contract) in Christchurch... but a colleague pays a lot lower than this at the other CF club in Christchurch, signed up during promotion, on open contract and the low price is valid until she quits... Looking at a couple of alternatives to CF, I want to know how the price is calculated too.

You all way outta date:

CF Moorhouse now $7pw on 12mth contract for use at MH only and no classes - $39 join fee

$14pw month by month(i.e no contract) will get you everything at all CF clubs across NZ - $39 join fee(no join fee if you opt for 12mth contract).

The new Cityfitness CEO is billionaire David 'Patch' Evans, owner of the Goodlife chains in Canada. This guy is going to change the perception of what a gym is and for the first time in NZ it will be truly affordable for EVERYONE. Apart from lower prices, he is spending $10m upgrading the flooring in every club, and a further $5m on new kit......plus clubs going 24hrs within the next 6mths. No other club can even dream of getting close to this. Anytime, Snap, Jetts etc will be blown into the weeds. 

Sounds pretty cool, Lowfat. Have you got some connection with the Cityfitness chain?

The new Cityfitness CEO is billionaire David 'Patch' Evans, owner of the Goodlife chains in Canada.

Is that a new development? I thought Cityfitness had been owned by the Goodlife chain for years?

Sounds pretty cool, Lowfat. Have you got some connection with the Cityfitness chain?

The new Cityfitness CEO is billionaire David 'Patch' Evans, owner of the Goodlife chains in Canada.

Is that a new development? I thought Cityfitness had been owned by the Goodlife chain for years?

I train with a PT there, and he's filled me in. They made all membership consultants redundant as being so cheap there is 'no need to sell' anymore, plus to join you do it online or at the kiosk in the gym(to be installed). Sounds like they're keen to get away from the pressure sell way of doing things. Apparently they plan on 80 clubs over next 10 yrs. I just can't see how the others will survive, this is pretty aggressive stuff from CF. As a pt client I have access to my trainer via an online portal, and now all members can check there account status online as well. Like I said, this is going to change the industry massively.

Wow. OK, that's an interesting business model.

I don't know what membership consultants earn, but they're probably fairly low base salary plus some commission, right? So lets say a gym had the equivalent of 2x full-time consultants earning $50k each (a total guess, but it makes my numbers easy) - that's $100k a year.

If 400 members pay $20/week, that's $416,000/year.

Lower the membership fee to $14/week, and you'd probably get another 100 people. That's $364,000/year. But you've also saved $100k when you got rid of the consultants. So effectively it's $464,000.

More people at a cheaper rate makes sense.

Will be interesting to see how the changes will affect the PT work. Membership consultants also put a big drive for people to sign up for a month of PT (8 sessions) at sign up at a discounted rate, or at least made recommendations on which PT to do their free session or 'orientation' with. I hate talking myself up and 'selling' so the MCs helped a lot there, getting clients wasn't my thing, keeping them long term was *good*

It'll probably lead to them being even more aggressive on the gym floor trying to sell, inserting themselves in peoples workouts, which in some cases just means getting in the way if you do it poorly. I saw this coming as soon as they introduced the online portal system. 

I haven't been PTing since June, so it's likely devloped much further, was relatively new when I left. It was a complimentary service, it had a tracking tool which was useful to see if clients had been doing their prescribed work. But it also had a lot of pre-set programs (most absolutely horrible) you could just load up from a list and do, some exercises had videos for proper form etc, that's something they were devloping more into. 

Getting rid of the MCs and further developing this app make it seem as if they're trying to minimise staff entirely. Cheap sign up prices, an app to tell you what to do and show you how, 24 hour access etc. 

Other gyms will be able to compete fine im sure. If lots of ppl go to city fitness I imagine the ones who would rather pay an extra $10-15/week and actually be able to use equipment at peak times will go to other gyms along with people who want to go to a gym with decent bars and less faggots etc. I found cityfitness gyms adequate but long way from being able to compete with what I consider best gyms ive trained at. Anyway most people probably drive to a gym and cost of fuel maybe $2-5 each way so $10 saving per week pretty negligible.

My boss was talking about this today at work during moring tea. With city fitness charging seven dollars a week. Which is mega cheap and that's a good move by city fitness to drop there price . Plus it is a good way to get the average person start going to the gym and even the average student could afford that as well.

Karl(PT) said today orientations are now purely chosen at sign up online, so those that chose one will more likely turn up for one, or need the help of trainer to get started, there is literally no selling in the gym from anyone. I know he actually has been turning people away for the last 12mths or even longer, along with the other more experienced trainers. He reckons demand will increase because of more members, but he also says as a new model it is still into the unknown.

New prices are simply meeting the market - CF has lost over 5000 members since Jan to other cheaper clubs, Karl reckons it's been purely on price, with 24hr access also a factor. I sense the new owner is genuinely trying to make his gyms as easliy accessible as possible. You can even have your friends and family use your tag to use the gym when you're not. I think we need to embrace this new angle, we're all getting fatter etc so if they can get more people active in some form it should be applauded.

Other gyms will be able to compete fine im sure. If lots of ppl go to city fitness I imagine the ones who would rather pay an extra $10-15/week and actually be able to use equipment at peak times will go to other gyms along with people who want to go to a gym with decent bars and less faggots etc. I found cityfitness gyms adequate but long way from being able to compete with what I consider best gyms ive trained at. Anyway most people probably drive to a gym and cost of fuel maybe $2-5 each way so $10 saving per week pretty negligible.

yup I drive past or near four gyms on the way to where I train, would be great if they had better hours on friday, or even 24 hour without driving on further to milford.

went and had a look at wolfs 24hr gym glenfield today, very tempted to change, or at least try if for a week

9762291220 wrote: