Gasps 52yo Smolov Jr

Gasp

Not sure whether this should be in the logs or pics but anyway;

Thought seeing as I was having a relentless crack at this chest routine I'd throw up a pic after three weeks then some progress pics along the way.

2011 wasnt a good year wilth some leg issues which are almost resolved.

Can't wait to hit a full Smolov though after seeing Drizzts progress.

Will throw up leg pics when I start

The reason I went for the Smolov Jr was the relatively low inpact vs good publicised progress and my lack of interest/progress/decline over the last few years and that it appeared easily workable on the schedules I had and no absolute neccessity for a spotter at this stage.

Photo today: 07/01/2012

Weight: 110kgs

post-2475-14166823709153_thumb.jpg

Thanks TWL and IDW.

I dont want to sound like an advert but I was personally sceptical at the beginning of this and only started it for the reasons given coupled with seeing others progress.

I used a 1RM of 140kgs.

Looking at my old training logs from the 90's I was knocking off 160 x 5 and 140 x 10 at 105kgs. (sorry no video)

Since then I've experienced a constant decline in strength but not neccessarily through a lack of training and arent losing too much size. The battle to make gains though is near impossible when its difficult just to stay on par.

After week three I feel I could crank out some heavier stuff. The chest is heaps fuller and the body wants to keep going. I'm not loaded on creatine at this stage either.

Certainly optimistic for once.

• 3 weeks later...

Pic for after the first Smolov chest routine plus 2 x workouts following over ten days.

I easy benched a 140 yesterday but didnt try anything additional beyond.

Reason being was that I was unable to complete the required sets on the very last workout of week 3.

I was sceptical during week three as I felt overtrained and thought I was possibly weaker as a result.

Not the case though and the body was really getting into lifting through one zone continually. After a rest following the third week the triceps felt bloody full and stronger.

In addition to some "normal" lifting I have started on military press behind neck again. I always rated this exercise but gave up on it following injuries. I now do it smarter with a longer lighter warmup and feel more power as a result.

Weight is still the same but if anything I lowered calories over these weeks.

From here I start another three weeks routine but start on the weight I used in week two.

post-2475-14166823774457_thumb.jpg

Did you take measurements of chest, shoulders and arms prior to starting this cycle Gasp. Im also about to start the jr bench to bring my bench up to scratch and seeing you getting good results makes me even keener to start :clap:

To be honest I didnt take any measurements. Probably not that relavent for me overweight at 5'9" and 112.

I've also started getting into heavy bent over rowing which will no doubt increase circumference.

All I can say is its a great way to try somethiing different outside of the 3 x 10 daily grind. Read most of Drizzts great sermons which are informative and prove that its organised and planned hard work and not other factors that produce these good results.Throw in some good carbs and protein straight after these workouts though.

All I can say is its a great way to try somethiing different outside of the 3 x 10 daily grind. Read most of Drizzts great sermons which are informative and prove that its organised and planned hard work and not other factors that produce these good results.Throw in some good carbs and protein straight after these workouts though.

this.

lol'd hard at your sig. repped

More impressed by this than the many fly by night guys that pass through our gyms blowing up on gear and fading into obscurity in 5 minutes!! :nod:

Well done on your recent progress and moreso on your ability to sustain consistent training for decades!!! :clap:

Nate

More impressed by this than the many fly by night guys that pass through our gyms blowing up on gear and fading into obscurity in 5 minutes!! :nod:

Well done on your recent progress and moreso on your ability to sustain consistent training for decades!!! :clap:

Nate

+ 1

Nate

+ 1

Thanks for that... not entirely sure about the sustain bit as theres been a few major hiccups and I always seem to be starting things again. I've never been a believer in muscle memory though and I just tend to get motivated by getting pretty pissed off with setbacks.

Nate

+ 1

Thanks for that... not entirely sure about the sustain bit as theres been a few major hiccups and I always seem to be starting things again. I've never been a believer in muscle memory though and I just tend to get motivated by getting pretty pissed off with setbacks.

Don't tell me there's nmo muscle memory, I have been waiting for that to kick in for months now!