Tennis elbow

Realtalk

Ok so, During lead up to gpc Nats I switched my squat bar position from high bar from years of bodybuilding type squats to a a low bar (well low bar for me, a lot of powerlifters probably still call it high bar). I started to develop really sore elbows which I just trained through as I had my eye on the competition. It got progressively worse and as I said in my journal if you were reading it that towards the end I was missing and not lifting to max effort on my heavy bench and squat days. So after the Comp I rested for 2 weeks of no gym at all. The elbows got better. I started back training and now thet are on the brink as being as worse as they were and I'm not training as heavy as I was either at the moment. Iv started icing it after trainings any other times is not really an option as I'm flat tack with this job atm.

what have you guys done for yours? Mine is tennis elbow (inside of the elbow)... Is rest the answer? I don't want to take a month off lifting for it to resurface as soon as I resume lifting. What a waste of time! Those 2 weeks I had off were waste of time.

dint have time to go Physio till mid December then its xmas etc.

help!! Lol cheers.

I've been trying to work on my shoulder mobility, since I was also getting alot of elbow pain which seemed to limit my benchpress but didn't affect squat strength. I believe tennis elbow is usually associated with gripping with your wrists in an extended position, so I'm working on the assumption that having the flexibility to extend and externally rotate the shoulders more, will allow the wrists to be in a more flexed position. Been doing alot of shoulder dislocates with a rod and band and overhead barbell squats for the last week and a half, and it seems to be helping so far.

When the pain was alot worse, a months ago, I was taking ibuprofin, using deep heat which helps with the pain, but not a long term solution.

A wider or thumbless grip might help as well if you haven't tried it already

Hope this helps

Mine is tennis elbow (inside of the elbow)...

I think that's Golfer's elbow. Tennis is on the outside.

Try this:

http://www.sportsmed.net.nz/patient-info/arm-and-elbow/golfers-elbow/

(I found their prescribed exercises helped my tennis elbow)

EDIT: But actually if you're just getting it holding the bar on squats, wouldn't that be more a flexibility issue than tennis/golfers elbow?

have you tried the usual stuff - glucosamine, fish oil, vitamin d ?

although my shoulder isn't the same type of injury, but when I doubled my fish oil intake and added the vit d with my diet plan, I noticed a difference within a week

to my knowledge glucosamine and fish oil takes a couple months before any of those joint benefits start to become noticeable. Nah havnt Tryed any of it bro. Physio was fucking useless too.

i in aus atm and they want $80 a session for a physio ain't paying that. Anyone know good sports physio in tauranga area for when I'm back?

I've been trying to work on my shoulder mobility, since I was also getting alot of elbow pain which seemed to limit my benchpress but didn't affect squat strength. I believe tennis elbow is usually associated with gripping with your wrists in an extended position, so I'm working on the assumption that having the flexibility to extend and externally rotate the shoulders more, will allow the wrists to be in a more flexed position. Been doing alot of shoulder dislocates with a rod and band and overhead barbell squats for the last week and a half, and it seems to be helping so far.

When the pain was alot worse, a months ago, I was taking ibuprofin, using deep heat which helps with the pain, but not a long term solution.

A wider or thumbless grip might help as well if you haven't tried it already

Hope this helps

only seen your post now mate. Come to think of it I have put on muscle mass and my over head pressing was getting really strong for me. So probably the shoulders are tight. I will work on that and let u know how get on. Nothing to loose. Thanks a lot 

have you tried the usual stuff - glucosamine, fish oil, vitamin d ?

although my shoulder isn't the same type of injury, but when I doubled my fish oil intake and added the vit d with my diet plan, I noticed a difference within a week

how much vit d did you add? and what time? d3?

Have 2000iu morning and night with first amd last meals or there abouts

Have a joint support ( Glucosamine based ) as well then morning and night

Have 4 x 1500mg fish oil post workout with protien drink

Ok so, During lead up to gpc Nats I switched my squat bar position from high bar from years of bodybuilding type squats to a a low bar (well low bar for me, a lot of powerlifters probably still call it high bar). I started to develop really sore elbows which I just trained through as I had my eye on the competition. It got progressively worse and as I said in my journal if you were reading it that towards the end I was missing and not lifting to max effort on my heavy bench and squat days. So after the Comp I rested for 2 weeks of no gym at all. The elbows got better. I started back training and now thet are on the brink as being as worse as they were and I'm not training as heavy as I was either at the moment. Iv started icing it after trainings any other times is not really an option as I'm flat tack with this job atm.

what have you guys done for yours? Mine is tennis elbow (inside of the elbow)... Is rest the answer? I don't want to take a month off lifting for it to resurface as soon as I resume lifting. What a waste of time! Those 2 weeks I had off were waste of time.

help!! Lol cheers.

Sorry about your elbow troubles mate.  I know exactly how you feel, been there.  

Elbow pain on the inside of your elbow is golfers elbow, outside elbow pain is tennis elbow.  I've had them both and it can really damper your training.

I did alot of research on both golfers and tennis elbow.  The conclusion I came too was that heavy dumbell use is hard on the elbows.

Check out this article which goes into more detail:

http://www.tenniselbowtreatmenttips.com/popular-gym-exercises-tennis-elbow-sufferers-should-avoid-completely/

Good luck!

help!! Lol cheers.

Sorry about your elbow troubles mate.  I know exactly how you feel, been there.  

Elbow pain on the inside of your elbow is golfers elbow, outside elbow pain is tennis elbow.  I've had them both and it can really damper your training.

I did alot of research on both golfers and tennis elbow.  The conclusion I came too was that heavy dumbell use is hard on the elbows.

Check out this article which goes into more detail:

http://www.tenniselbowtreatmenttips.com/popular-gym-exercises-tennis-elb...

Good luck!

tldr from the above link ;

To recap, DO use barbells and machines regularly. DO ice your arm when you return home from the gym.  DO focus on lighter weights and higher repetitions.

BUT if you are looking to stay in the gym while recovering from tennis elbow, a program called Tennis Elbow Secrets Revealed is the way to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a lot of trouble with tennis elbow and been on the usual supps ( Glucosamine, fish oil etc) for years. Finally tried wrist wraps out of desperation and everything changed within a couple of weeks and have never looked back. I know they’re to be avoided if possible, but to be honest the ability to train pain-free way outweighed any loss of grip strength...…to me anyway. And now that they’ve been settled for a couple of years, I can train without them on the movements where it’s all grip and no forearm tension….i.e shrugs.

A good illustration of how this works is hold your arm out in front you, keep an eye on forearm and tip your wrist from side to side, up and down. Now grip your opposite hand tightly around the wrist and try again, and you can see how much less those muscles/tendons are involved.

Just my 2c