Skeletors Quest For Strength

Skeletor

Hey guys . Thought id start a journal on here to keep me honest and keep a track of where ive been and where im at.

Current stats ....

34 years old

170cm

82.5 kg average weight

Bench 1rm      150kg touch n go ( not bounce ) August 2014

Dead 1rm        250kg   September 2014

Squat 1rm       215kg   August 2014           

Have recently just completed 2 x 6 week strength programmes which have brought my bench up considerably and are due to start the Smolov squat base cycle next week on Monday after just completing the two week introductory cycle . Fell off a roof a year and a bit ago and broke heel bone and doctor said i would never lift heavy again even talking about fusing my foot if it didnt heal but it seems to have healed exceptionally well and have full mobility and only minor ache in cold weather. I feel my squat and dead both have much to be improved on as i have only recently began lifting heavy again. I will be running the same strength programme i just done as my upper body accessory focussing on bench as main upper lift and ditching the squat and dead part for the duration of my Smolov cycle  so wont be doing any deads for the next 3 months. The programme i have recently used is the 6 week strength programme at www.canditotraining.com and are real happy with the results taking my bench up a good 15kg and DB shoulder presses went from 35kg each to 40 kg each for 8 reps likewise with DB rows and increasing all over upper body mass. Also my ability to just rep out weights on the bench has increased massively so really happy with the results but i need to focus on my cotton bud legs and build some mass as i react better to more volume although being ectomorph in shape ill never have the masive frame. But thats enough for now and i will start with half weekly or weekly posts.     Peace

Started Smolov squat today as i got to excited and couldnt wait.

Base microcycle day 1= 120kg x 4 sets of 9

Got through it pretty easy concentrating on controlling the lowering and getting deep on each rep.

Yesterday i did upper body

Bench = 60kg x 30 reps.   100kg x 3     112.5kg x 10

DB row  = 30kg x 12            30kg x 10      30kg x 8 squeezing hard at top

Seated Military press  =      70kg x 12     70kg x 10   70kg x 10

Ezibar ar curls      =              40kg x 12     40kg x 10  

Nothing to special just keeping my upper body working. 

Smolov day 2 =   130kg x 5 sets of 7.   Again no trouble although lower back began to get a pump on the final set.  Using Adidas powerlift shoes for the squats and loving the stability of the raised heel. Its like your feet are glued to the floor. The whole squat feels more fluid.

Yesterday i did a low volume upper body

Bench = 60kg x 20     102.5 x 10     107.5x 8   115 x 8    

DB row    35kg x 10    x8    x8       one arm

Seated military press   60kg x 10   70kg x 10   80kg x 8   80kg x 6

Pinwheel curls  17.5kg  x 12  x 12  x 12    slowly controlling throughout. 

Bodyweight today is 82kg and have been eating like a real porker. Roast chicken rolls with cheese, onion and gravy seem to be my favourite at the moment. Other than that for the most part its clean eating. A lot of chicken, fillet steak, almonds, vegetables and proats .

Smolov day 3   9/1/14        7x 5   135kg   pretty good and no real trouble.

Smolov day 4   10/1/14     10 x 3   145kg     wouldnt say it was hard but considering on sunday i have to start again at 4 sets of 9  at 140kg i think it could be interesting. Although before i had my roof fall i was doing sets of 10 @ 140 so hopefully will be right

Over all the first week went well and enjoying the squatting apart from a slight niggle in my knee which ive always had .  Looking forward to next week which should be testing .

HAd one upper body session since the last update

Bench 102.5 x 10      107.5 x 8    115  x 6

DB row  35kg x 10    x 8     x 8

Seated DB press  35kg x 10   x10   x10

Think Tui is organising it on the 1st of March. Its a good place to test your own maxes. Nobody's going to laugh at you, they're good numbers anyway

Cool thanks mate ill definately have to check it out and yeah totally agree. 

This morning had a cruizy session in the gym .

Bench 110kg x 12 reps

DB rows  35kg x 10   40 kg x 8   40kg x 6

Seated DB overhead press  35kg x 10  35kg x 8   40kg x 8

Ezibar curls        30kg x 15  35kg x 10    40kg x 8   3 second up squeeze bi, 3second down flex tri

Reverse grip tri pushdowns   x 15  x 12  x 10

So made a bit of a mistake with the inputs to Smolov Had my inputs in pounds which i why i was wondering why the 20kg increase for the same reps in 1 week but it didnt matter as it didnt change the first week so i updated it to the new totals .

Smolov squat, week 2  day 1       130kg x 4 sets of 9.

Went fairly well and would even go as far as saying it was just as easy if not easier than last week doing 120kg x 4 sets of 9.    The back pump was back in force at the end though. I use neoprene sleeves for all my squats and will probably flick on the belt at 150 +  

Rest day tomorrow.       Have to give credit to Drizzt  also as his review was my deciding factor on wanting to do this programme. Found his review on google and thought they were awesome results. If i get half those results ill be happy.

Smolov squat week 2 day 2

137.5kg x 5 sets of 7.             Took a scoop of Hyde the pre trainer and absolutely slaughtered it.

Not sure if its my legs adapting to the volume or if it was just the pre trainer but it felt great.

Upper body  .

Flat bench    120kg x 6     120kg x 6   120kg x 5  No spotter so reracked before failure on all sets

DB row      40kg x 10      40kg x 8  1 min rest between sets

Seated DB shoulder press     35kg x 10    40kg x 10 (2 reps assisted) 40kg x 6   90 sec rest

Ezibar arm curls    40kg x 12     50kg x 8     50kg x 4     1 min rest between sets

Smolov Squat.   Base cycle

Week 2  day 3 =      145kg x 7 sets of 5

So today it was starting to get a bit more of a grind getting through all the sets but slapped on the belt on set 3 and got through without to much trouble .  Extended rest between sets to between 2 and 3 mins. Lower back pump is there but to a lesser degree than what ive previously been having.

Had a night time train last night for upper body and absolutely hated it. Hot, low strength and barely got through what should have been an easy workout. 

Bench.   120kg x 6   120kg x 6   120kg x 4    No spotter on any sets so rerack before failure nears.

DB row    35kg x 10     40kg x 8   40kg x 6  squeezing back hard at top.

Seated DB shoulder press.  35kg x 10   40kg x 8    40kg x 5 ( felt exhausted )

Standing db curl    17.5kg x 10   17.5kg x 10

Tricep dips static holds at mid and 2/3 way up holding as long as possible ( arms shaking all over the place and think people thought i was having a seizure)

So today it was starting to get a bit more of a grind getting through all the sets but slapped on the belt on set 3 and got through without to much trouble .  Extended rest between sets to between 2 and 3 mins. Lower back pump is there but to a lesser degree than what ive previously been having.

Had a night time train last night for upper body and absolutely hated it. Hot, low strength and barely got through what should have been an easy workout. 

Bench.   120kg x 6   120kg x 6   120kg x 4    No spotter on any sets so rerack before failure nears.

Tricep dips static holds at mid and 2/3 way up holding as long as possible ( arms shaking all over the place and think people thought i was having a seizure)

Smolov base cycle. Week 2 day 4. 155kg x 10 sets of 3.

So today is where I came unstuck for the first time. Woke up with already quite sore legs from yesterday and had to get through 10 sets at 155kg today. First set I thought to myself fark! 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th and 7th I manged to get through. Set 8 came and I completed the first two reps just and had to re rack. Had a two min rest then came back for another stab. Stepped out , dropped down and just didnt come back up. Put my weights away in a hissy fit and went home. Whole body is completely shattered and looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Upping the calories , aminos and glutamine to speed recovery. Cant see any problems getting though the next 4 days of smolov but the last day will be 10 sets at 160kg for 3 reps so if its like today it will be a grind. Loving doing it though and looking forward to testing my 1 rep max.

Smolov squat base cycle . week 3 day 1 =  135kg x 4 sets of 9

Today went well and i was feeling the joy .  It felt to me as easy if not easier than when i first started on day 1 doing  4 sets of 9 at 120 which shows the increase in volume is definately working. Had no back pump after leaving today either which was a great feeling .  Had  a couple of days off upper body and back to that tomorrow.  Have been reading up on the 5/3/1 programme and are considering using that after i do the intense smolov squat or alternatively i will return to the candito 6 week strength programme which i have had success with already.

Hey there Skeletor,

I like the look of that type/style training and its sounds like its working for ya.

Dam you've got sum good numbers up too ,

Keep up the good work man il follow this journal for sure.

Smile

Thanks mate.  Getting there slowly .   Feel as though i have a ton of room to improve on the squat and dead but feeling at my max on the bench . The goal will be to squat 140 for reps with ease like you did on that vid*yes3*     Beast mode

wow man good lifts especially for an 'ectomorph frame' 80kg. i suspect my legs wont be seeing the pain and pleasure of smolov for a couple years yet so will be following this log see how things go with you

Thanks mate. Yeah haha im as ectomorph as ya can get but have oversize glutes to help with the big lifts . Im guessing the added 10kg on the dead was a result of the Smolov. Hopefully ill go well.