COAST BARBELL CLUB

steak

Well... we may as well jump on the band wagon and post some vids and news as it comes to hand.

What we are about

Like Eastside Barbell (in fact I called on Dr Squats advice right in the begining and it was him that pushed me over the edge) we are a not for profit organisation. Any money we make over and above the running of the gym (profit) goes back into the gym. This has not happened yet and every bit of gear other than a bench press from Ian Wilson (Iwilson) and a bench press from Startingfromscratch has been paid for out of our own pockets. Quite literally into the 10s of 1000s of dollars. We do have a few generous sponsors (The Charter Connection, Bodypro Supplements and Digitalworkx) who have helped us out in various forms and we are always keen to talk to to anyone who might been interested in helping us out in this regard :wink:

It was a pretty easy decision to undertake setting up a powerlifting gym really when we looked at our training options locally and within reasonable driving distance from us. There was none. No-one allowed the use of chalk, there was limited squatting equipment and the local gyms didnt have enough 20 plates chooosing to fill up the floor with "machines" So we did it and almost a year to the day we are know in our second premises (we started in a 100sqm factory unit and are now in 220sqm unit.)

We were very lucky that once people could see what we were about and how we were doing it we were quickly "adopted by one of the sports true gentlemen and legends Reuben Simanu (Tonka) who in turn introduced us to some of the major players in the PL scene and took on the role as a mentor to us...a role i have taken for some of our members. If I ever get stuck I always ask myself "What would Tonka do?" or just ring him up and ask for his advice :lol:

Plenty of others have helped us along the way too and we have formed some good friendships with some of the best lifters in the country and look forward to becoming more involved in the sport, introducing others to the sport and in time having some of our team excell in it. Good times 8)

Anyway enough babbling on. Here is where we will post up vids and news.

Here's some early vids...boy we have come along way since these :lol:

This was a cool day...its not very often you can get all these guys together and we were stoked to be able to get hands on in your face tuition and tips.

The girls too have a good year under the belt now. Here's an early vid..

Our 1st PL comp....never looked back from here

Auckland Novice/Auck Uni comp...squats

Bench....

Deadlifts....

We went to Cambridge for the Waikato/BOP comp....and to eat lots of KFC :pfft:

Club Events....

We try and keep fit....

and have some good new lifters coming through....

We'll keep you in the loop....

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah I remember the good friday session when I first met steak, barbell, sfs and bigj, definetley the start of new friendships that im sure will be held long 8)

The clubs really come far bro you and rach should be really proud! I see nothing but growth for the club as people start to see what its really all about :nod:

100 Tyre Flips

I've been working with Westley for about 8 weeks. We've got him dropping 1% of bodyfat per week (relates to about 1kg at his BW) = 4.5% per month and increases in lean BW of 1.8-2.0kg per month. Mostly in the form of weighted power cardio using sleds, hammers, tyres, chains, barbells and DBs, farmers walks etc

Here is a vid of 100 tyre flips with the 235kg tyre....