BBro - Straps for Back or Not????

Hey guys. As some of you may know I'm 17 and about 5'2"-5'3" closing in on 70 kgs. TinyTraps as made me a bit interested in doing the BBro and I'm hoping to get to a 190kg squat 160 kg deadlift 110 kg bench. (460 total my total now would be about 380). I can deadlift 160 kg easy, but with straps. I can do about 120 or so with chalk and staggered grip so does anyone have some techniques - other than doing deads with chalk, staggered grip and forearm work - that would improve my grip on deadlifts so I could hopefully get to about 180?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate I would just do lots of deadlifts without straps. Seps of 5 with 65-75% of your max weight and this will build your grip. I don't think you need to do a lot of grip work as 200 kg or less is not really a heavy weight even for a little guy and I would expect you will be able to grip this in time easily.

One thing you could do- Ed Coan used to do a lot of high rep shrugs and I copied this whenever I had grip issues.

Don't use straps on deadlifts. Heavy rack pulls maybe but not deads.

The darksides pull is strong....evil may not triumph over good, but its so much cooler :twisted:

Doc gave good advice. Take his advices.

Add weighted hangs for time, heavy-hi rep db rows aka kroc rows. Also holding the top position of deads for a few extra counts works good too.

I've been shrugging without straps lately. About 60 kgs just for 15 reps. I'll strap of for deads tomorrow just for the fact I'm doing 5x5 at the moment. But I'll finish doing that in a couple of weeks and I'll start working on grip work. Aiming for Body Building comps and a powerlifting comps just gives it more incentive.

Also holding the top position of deads for a few extra counts works good too.

I generally hold the top for about two seconds. Unless it's my final set and I have adrenaline. It feels like 2 seconds but it's really not even 1.

Try and do a couple of sets of 15 reps on shrugs with your deadlift grip. Use 80-100 kg with no straps and see how that goes and add more weight as you can. It will hurt your hands and pump your traps.

I think your grip and your dead will fly up.

So a staggered grip on shrugs. How many sets would you recommend for deads? Standard 3 or 5?

Try and do a couple of sets of 15 reps on shrugs with your deadlift grip. Use 80-100 kg with no straps and see how that goes and add more weight as you can. It will hurt your hands and pump your traps.

So a staggered grip on shrugs. How many sets would you recommend for deads? Standard 3 or 5?

I would use my staggered deadlift grip when you do shrugs. I do and it is a great way to build the grip.

I would do 2-3 top sets for deadlifts. If your max was say 150 I would build up over 3 weeks to 75% for 5.

Week 1- 65%= 97.5kgx5x3

Week 2- 70%= 105kgx5x3

Week 3- 75%= 112.5kgx5x3

Obviously do warm ups first. Don't fall into the trap of constantly testing your 1RM. 5 is a good number for deadlifting IMO. A good balance between strength and muscular development. Powerbuilding lol.

Just my thoughts bro. Tonka will read this and have some good ideas for you.

I would use my staggered deadlift grip when you do shrugs. I do and it is a great way to build the grip.

I would do 2-3 top sets for deadlifts. If your max was say 150 I would build up over 3 weeks to 75% for 5.

Week 1- 65%= 97.5kgx5x3

Week 2- 70%= 105kgx5x3

Week 3- 75%= 112.5kgx5x3

Obviously do warm ups first. Don't fall into the trap of constantly testing your 1RM. 5 is a good number for deadlifting IMO. A good balance between strength and muscular development. Powerbuilding lol.

Just my thoughts bro. Tonka will read this and have some good ideas for you.

1RM for me is probably a twice a year thing. Once at the start, once at the end. I usually aim for 5, but if I can get more, I generally do. I literally lol'd at "Powerbuilding". Do you know what the age/weight restrictions are for the BBro??

Warren will need to confirm but they will have the standard IPF weight classes (new ones). I am not sure if he has separate divisions for sub junior? Probably not.

I have confidence that my numbers will stack up quite well. Unsure about a win at this point though seeing as 1. The guys would be training for strength and I'm training for mass. 2. I would have been dieting for about 3-4 months for my bodybuilding comps.

Warren will need to confirm but they will have the standard IPF weight classes (new ones). I am not sure if he has separate divisions for sub junior? Probably not.

I have confidence that my numbers will stack up quite well. Unsure about a win at this point though seeing as 1. The guys would be training for strength and I'm training for mass. 2. I would have been dieting for about 3-4 months for my bodybuilding comps.

3. Your squats won't pass in an IPF comp.

Why's that?

Why's that?

Depth. Gotta break parallel.

With regards to your class, you would be sub junior under 66kg class currently, the next one up being the 74kg class.

8) good effort mate but that would not off passed by looking at it, its a good gym lift, even though we can't see ya hips due to the weight being in the way, ya knees and thigh angle would say its a no lift after pausing it the angle is not right to be parallel sorry dude, you may think you are parallel due to your upper body traveling forward, when doing this your arse lifts up which in case your hips will stay up knees driving forward instead off staying locked, the top off your thigh must be level with your knee to pass better than that break parallel leaves no question in judges mind so next time mate take a clip where the weight doesn't get in the way.

Just a technique thing work on sitting back spread the knees wide you will hit parallel easy train hard good luck

VP

Plenty to work with mate. Surround yourself with a few positive people who want to help. Do a few sessions with some powerlifters and drop the weight until you can get in the "hole". A few sessions at the Powerhouse would be of benefit.

Remember everyone that the young bloke is doing a bodybuilding show and that is his priority.

Plenty to work with mate. Surround yourself with a few positive people who want to help. Do a few sessions with some powerlifters and drop the weight until you can get in the "hole". A few sessions at the Powerhouse would be of benefit.

Remember everyone that the young bloke is doing a bodybuilding show and that is his priority.

goodpost.gif

Hey SAS,

Here are the new weight classes for 2011

Weight Categories

Women: up to 43kg (Sub Junior/Junior) 47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg, +84kg

Men: up to 52kg (Sub Junior/Junior) 58kg, 66kg, 74kg 83kg, 93kg, 105kg, 120kg +120kg

Old Classes in red have gone and others changed up or down

Men: 52 kg 56 kg 60 kg 67.5 kg 75 kg 82.5 kg 90 kg 100 kg 110 kg 125 kg 125+ kg

The BBro is a open comp with every one entered in thier respective weight classes regardless of age, but you do get a certificate for age classes ie Sub Junior, Junior, Master I II III IV.

You train with you Bro out at parapara, you have one of the countries top refs out there Clive Madge your Bro knows him.

If you get a white light from him you are deep :clap: he is pretty hard to get a white light from :clap: :clap: but he is consisitent get him to check your depth.

Check out one of the comps if you have time, don't make the mistake that other NZBB members have done who thought they were squatting deep and entered the BBro and Bombed. Don't listen to your mates they know shit, they will say massive effort bro awesome but gym lifts don't count get Clive to show where you need to get too.

Your BB comp is in Wellington in September and the Nationals in October so you could come in quite weak and not up to full speed after all the Dieting etc for the above. You may have about 6-8 weeks to get back up to speed strength wise.

OB

goodpost.gif

Hey SAS,

Here are the new weight classes for 2011

Weight Categories

Women: up to 43kg (Sub Junior/Junior) 47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg, +84kg

Men: up to 52kg (Sub Junior/Junior) 58kg, 66kg, 74kg 83kg, 93kg, 105kg, 120kg +120kg

Old Classes in red have gone and others changed up or down

Men: 52 kg 56 kg 60 kg 67.5 kg 75 kg 82.5 kg 90 kg 100 kg 110 kg 125 kg 125+ kg

The BBro is a open comp with every one entered in thier respective weight classes regardless of age, but you do get a certificate for age classes ie Sub Junior, Junior, Master I II III IV.

You train with you Bro out at parapara, you have one of the countries top refs out there Clive Madge your Bro knows him.

If you get a white light from him you are deep :clap: he is pretty hard to get a white light from :clap: :clap: but he is consisitent get him to check your depth.

Check out one of the comps if you have time, don't make the mistake that other NZBB members have done who thought they were squatting deep and entered the BBro and Bombed. Don't listen to your mates they know shit, they will say massive effort bro awesome but gym lifts don't count get Clive to show where you need to get too.

Your BB comp is in Wellington in September and the Nationals in October so you could come in quite weak and not up to full speed after all the Dieting etc for the above. You may have about 6-8 weeks to get back up to speed strength wise.

OB

Thanks a lot. Pete's told me to talk to Madge about that so I will when I get the chance. I'm already aware that I'll be a bit weak coming into but it's all in experience. Once I get a job and all that I might come into Powerhouse. I never listen to my mates when it comes to gym lifts because most college students don't even know what a proper gym lift is. I just think BBro will just be fun and a great atmosphere to be in and get some good tips too, hopefully.