Brothers In Arms - training partners wanted!

Pseudonym

The other day I heard a radio interview with a guy from Brothers In Arms. Simply put, BIA is a charitable organisation that finds mentors for kids who need them.

The mentors aren’t saints. They’re just guys (and girls) who are happy to let a kid hang out with them for bit. These are kids referred to BIA through social workers, police, schools, etc. They don’t have too many role models in their lives, and just seeing that a more positive lifestyle is possible... well, that’s a big thing for them. Life-changing, hopefully.

I thought this all sounded like a good cause to get behind. So earlier this week, I met up with Wade from BIA, and outlined my idea. Most mentors spend an hour or two a week with their kid. And even that little goes a long way. But in the gym, we’ve got the opportunity to spend much more time with them, and without going out of our way to do it.

Think about it. You get a keen young training partner. They get their eyes opened to the kind of life they’ve never experienced before.

They become motivated. They open up and start communicating. They learn how to set goals and work towards achieving them. This stuff is totally new to these kids. And it’s stuff you can show them simply by doing what you already do in the gym, and letting them tag along.

At the moment, Brothers In Arms is just looking for mentors in Auckland, particularly South and West. You can find more information about being a mentor here or at http://www.brothersinarms.org.nz.

If you can take a kid and mentor them during your workouts, please do. It’s a small ask, but the difference you’ll make is huge.

This is awesome. Could be something that we can tie in with our after school and holiday programs at Eastside. I will see if there is something we can help with down here eventually.

Tom M would be an excellent mentor in Auckland. I know he gets a lot of bad press on here and much of it he brings on himself. But this would be good for him and anyone he can help also. Just saying...

I have worked with the worst of these kinds of kids at Youth Justice Centre in Rolleston. By the time they get to these places there has been too much damage done & they are very indoctrinated into a life of crime, drugs & sex. If they can be uplifted into a better place by some of us it would make a big difference into whether they become criminals or decent, positive & functional members of our community. Both young males & even the females are inspired & challenged by someone who can be seen to have done the hard yards in the gym. Fitness & Weight Training in particular is something they aspire to do but often have very little opportunity to follow. Unfortunately many gyms require you to be 17-18 yrs old to become members & are too expensive. Most of these kids are younger. I had it on my "to do" list for some time to check out with CYFS & other providers to see whether this type of training program could be possible. I understand that some schools & churches do have gyms & facilities that can offer kids a place to go. BIA looks to be a great cause.

I have worked with the worst of these kinds of kids at Youth Justice Centre in Rolleston. By the time they get to these places there has been too much damage done & they are very indoctrinated into a life of crime, drugs & sex. If they can be uplifted into a better place by some of us it would make a big difference into whether they become criminals or decent, positive & functional members of our community. Both young males & even the females are inspired & challenged by someone who can be seen to have done the hard yards in the gym. Fitness & Weight Training in particular is something they aspire to do but often have very little opportunity to follow. Unfortunately many gyms require you to be 17-18 yrs old to become members & are too expensive. Most of these kids are younger. I had it on my "to do" list for some time to check out with CYFS & other providers to see whether this type of training program could be possible. I understand that some schools & churches do have gyms & facilities that can offer kids a place to go. BIA looks to be a great cause.

Unfortunalty your right Musclenz most of these CYPs are way to far gone by the time they make it to a secure facility. I beleive that they need to be targeted earlier 8,9,10 years old. unfortunatly I think its going to be so much harder to get younger kids referred due to their level of offending being lower. No quick fix unfortunatly. Maybe mass sterilization and anti depresants?

Good on BIA for getting in there though

This is awesome. Could be something that we can tie in with our after school and holiday programs at Eastside. I will see if there is something we can help with down here eventually.

Tom M would be an excellent mentor in Auckland. I know he gets a lot of bad press on here and much of it he brings on himself. But this would be good for him and anyone he can help also. Just saying...

you cant be serious ? last thing someone troubled needs is someone like him in there life.

you cant be serious ? last thing someone troubled needs is someone like him in there life.

Compared to what, brains?

Compared to what, brains?

brains ??

If you two want to bitch fight take it off the forum, or maybe even try growing up? Just putting it out there.

piss off wanker... and shove ur forum up ur arse.

loose - would be like fucking a clowns pocket thats y u think small..

same with ur arsehole brent.

just sayn..

yea actually on 2nd thoughts he does sound like a responsible role model :roll:

I suppose we could do a search on some of your posts too and find some gems of wisdom that have made the world a better place. After all there are over 5000 of them to choose from.

you can do whatever you want mate.

you think he would be a good influence, i dont.

done.

I suppose we could do a search on some of your posts too and find some gems of wisdom that have made the world a better place. After all there are over 5000 of them to choose from.

done.

All good. People don't always agree.

done.

All good. People don't always agree.

agreed

Offline I agree Tom would be a good mentor, take some lads gyming & hunting, but also have the ability to talk about times when he's fucked up & the consequences.

As a online / forum mentor no way! But offline the man is a different kettle of fish.

If Hawkes Bay is in the game plan I'd be keen, as would Big Sam I'd imagine who would be an awesome mentor having a wealth of experiences to share with youth.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
great idea!

id be keen but im in chch

I have done some work with a Not for Profit organisation in Chch that works with Children of prisioners. I know they are usually looking for mentors especially males.

http://www.pillars.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=41

Hey man i know the founder and chief executive personally and she is a very nice person :D worked for her husband for around 2 years very good people.

• 6 years later...