Moderators or Admin

weener lad

You are the 2nd person to say this today? Anyone else having issues like this?

Pseudo - can you delve a little deeper on this one?

Nate

Happened to me the other day. And then it just let me log back on. I thought it was a message from Matty Ferrigno, from out of the shadows, telling me that I was a forum whore.

Yep, I think Maccaz is right. It looks like bots are going through our member list trying to guess people's passwords. They only get 3 attempts before it blocks them, so I can't see it being a particularly effective method. Still, it pays to make your password complex enough that it's hard to guess - a combination of letter and numbers is good.

I've also hidden the memberlist to anyone with less than 5 posts.

• 1 month later...
Yep, I think Maccaz is right. It looks like bots are going through our member list trying to guess people's passwords. They only get 3 attempts before it blocks them, so I can't see it being a particularly effective method. Still, it pays to make your password complex enough that it's hard to guess - a combination of letter and numbers is good.

I've also hidden the memberlist to anyone with less than 5 posts.

on the topic of secure passwords; I totally recommend giving http://www.lastpass.com a go! I know I soubd like spam, but lastpass totally opened my eyes to how insecure my passwords were.

give it a go.

the website has been running slow for me and sometimes i have to close down the tab and try reopen it to navigate the page.

seems to be only this website.

also have had the log in thing

It's possible that the two are related - that our server is being swamped with bots trying to brute force their way in. Anyway, I'm talking to our web hosting company now. Hopefully we'll get this sorted soon.

• 1 month later...

Just spent the last hour or so getting the "too many connections" error message again. Plus for the last few days this site (and only this site) has been incredibly slow to load pages (as in, over a minute each page). Or is it just me?

Just spent the last hour or so getting the "too many connections" error message again. Plus for the last few days this site (and only this site) has been incredibly slow to load pages (as in, over a minute each page). Or is it just me?

Not just you dude. Me too

Ah good, misery loves company :lol:

Yeah, sorry about this, guys. We moved to a new server before Christmas to try and speed things up, but it seems to be worse, not better. I've been really disappointed with the helpdesk support too.

Me: Hi, my website's gone down.

Them: OK, I'll escalate your support ticket.

Me: Er, right. The site's totally offline, so when do you think it might be fixed?

Them: We should be able to get someone onto it today.

Me: :shock:

I'm hoping to move to a new server early next week. :evil:

Yeah, sorry about this, guys. We moved to a new server before Christmas to try and speed things up, but it seems to be worse, not better. I've been really disappointed with the helpdesk support too.

Me: Hi, my website's gone down.

Them: OK, I'll escalate your support ticket.

Me: Er, right. The site's totally offline, so when do you think it might be fixed?

Them: We should be able to get someone onto it today.

Me: :shock:

I'm hoping to move to a new server early next week. :evil:

Awesome, because sometimes this site runs so slow :naughty:

Who are you hosting with Pseudo?

Currently hosted with Openhost. Originally we'd been on shared hosting with WebDrive, and they'd been awesome, but we were getting too big for that to work. So we switched to their sister company, Openhost, on our own Virtual Private Server. The VPS is ultra-fast when it works, but there are plenty of times when it slows to a crawl (or crashes entirely). Log into the control panel, and you see the CPU is maxed out at 200%.

So that's the issue - the question is what's causing it. There are various possibilities, but Openhost haven't been particularly helpful in diagnosing it. Where WebDrive's support service was excellent, Openhost seem to say, "Here's your server. Now you're on your own!"

But hopefully that will all be resolved next week. :nod: