Freaking out!!!

Katie1309

A quick fix to dramatic weight change due to water is to make sure you are fully hydratedall of the time. It's fair to say that most people don't drink enough to meet their needs.

The text book minimum is 8 - 10 glasses. (250ml is a standard glass measure) so this would equate to 2-2.5L per day. But this is a very sedentry peson who doesn't drink caffiene, exercise with resistance and/or perform moderate exercise as frequently as a bodybuilder or powerlifter would.

The single most common factor in poor performance in athletes is dehydration. This is because it's easy to under estimate your intake due to not understanding how water works alongside your nutrition.

Sodium levels are typically high through the food you eat, this causes your body to try flush it out using water. It will continue to do so until your sodium/potassium levels balance. As your sodium intake increases, so does your bodies need for potassium. The challenge in this is that your diet is probably more heavily sodium efficient than potassium. When your sodium level is higher than your potassium requirement ... you are considered deficient.

Signs of a deficiency include skin problems, such as acne and very dry skin, chills, constipation, depression, water retention, nervousness, and low blood pressure.

Dehydration will also cause medications and supplement to perfrom poorly - have you ever wondered why you get hooked up to a bag when you are admitted to hospital.

IMO 3L per day should be a baseline for any athlete. + 1 L when you train. 4L :nod: .... This will minimise the water weight fluctuation cause by hormonal change, which is influenced heavily by sodium intake.

In a typical 6 meal plan, if you have one glass before you eat and then 1 glass after, this is 3L . easy - yes in most cases you'll have to pee in the middle of the night but ..... you are going to lower your sodium level in doing so which is going to regulate your weight on the scales ... small price to pay :)

Not - if you have a glass of wine or the occasional cup of coffee / add 1-2 glasses per cup/glass. (dehydration :nod: ).

Note also: due to an increase in water going through your system you may want to look at supplementation as water will wash away potassium with the sodium. - although IMO you can easily manage through your daily nutrition - real food.

I have always found it interesting that most powerlifters do not folow a hydration plan before events. Triathletes do for obvious reasons - but the benefits are exactly the same for strength athletes too - food for thought.

I prefer to use water loading pre contest as it keeps your muscle full > IMO dehydrating your body for 4+ days going into a show is counter productive when the idea is to pump up before you go on stage.

anyways some easy net info below that better explains as I can't be arsed typing any more :grin: REM being hydrated will make all of those unscientifically proven supplements work more effectively :pfft:

.... Sodium/potassium ....

These two minerals act as a pair. They are involved with one another at the cellular level, regulating the transfer of nutrients into the cell and waste to the outside of the cell through the cell membrane. Their balance is so critical for healthy cells, and therefore a healthy body, that a third of all energy in the body is devoted to maintaining their balance.

Together they form the sodium-potassium pump. Positive sodium ions, which exist in high concentrations on the outside, are drawn by the negative potassium ions, highly concentrated within the cell. The charge between the two minerals works like a magnet, potassium and sodium attract one another, therefore creating an electrochemical gradient called membrane potential. Membrane potential is necessary for the heart to function properly, for nerve impulse transmission, and muscle contraction.

When there is an imbalance of sodium to potassium, the pump has to work harder to keep the sodium ions from entering the cell. Still, an excess of sodium finds its way inside, along with excess fluid, which causes a drop in blood pressure.

The same magnetic drive between potassium and sodium creates nerve impulses, allowing for proper nerve impulse transmission. The nerve cells stimulate muscle contraction. When there is a potassium and sodium balance, cells, nerves and muscles can all function smoothly. With an imbalance, which is almost always due to both an excess of sodium, and a deficiency of potassium, a set of reactions occurs leading to high blood pressure and unnecessary strain on blood vessels, the heart, and the kidneys. Research has shown that there is a direct link between chronic levels of low potassium and kidney disease, lung disorders, hypertension, and stroke.

1.5kg and your worried hahahaha I have meals that weigh more than that.

Yeh but its alot for a girl and also when your shorter it can be noticeable. And its gut renching when it took 2 weeks to go down 1.5kgs and 1 meal to go up.

Im not what you would call tall

... now I'm biting my tongue :pfft:

A quick fix to dramatic weight change due to water is to make sure you are fully hydratedall of the time. It's fair to say that most people don't drink enough to meet their needs.

The text book minimum is 8 - 10 glasses. (250ml is a standard glass measure) so this would equate to 2-2.5L per day. But this is a very sedentry peson who doesn't drink caffiene, exercise with resistance and/or perform moderate exercise as frequently as a bodybuilder or powerlifter would.

The single most common factor in poor performance in athletes is dehydration. This is because it's easy to under estimate your intake due to not understanding how water works alongside your nutrition.

Sodium levels are typically high through the food you eat, this causes your body to try flush it out using water. It will continue to do so until your sodium/potassium levels balance. As your sodium intake increases, so does your bodies need for potassium. The challenge in this is that your diet is probably more heavily sodium efficient than potassium. When your sodium level is higher than your potassium requirement ... you are considered deficient.

Signs of a deficiency include skin problems, such as acne and very dry skin, chills, constipation, depression, water retention, nervousness, and low blood pressure.

Dehydration will also cause medications and supplement to perfrom poorly - have you ever wondered why you get hooked up to a bag when you are admitted to hospital.

IMO 3L per day should be a baseline for any athlete. + 1 L when you train. 4L :nod: .... This will minimise the water weight fluctuation cause by hormonal change, which is influenced heavily by sodium intake.

In a typical 6 meal plan, if you have one glass before you eat and then 1 glass after, this is 3L . easy - yes in most cases you'll have to pee in the middle of the night but ..... you are going to lower your sodium level in doing so which is going to regulate your weight on the scales ... small price to pay :)

Not - if you have a glass of wine or the occasional cup of coffee / add 1-2 glasses per cup/glass. (dehydration :nod: ).

Note also: due to an increase in water going through your system you may want to look at supplementation as water will wash away potassium with the sodium. - although IMO you can easily manage through your daily nutrition - real food.

I have always found it interesting that most powerlifters do not folow a hydration plan before events. Triathletes do for obvious reasons - but the benefits are exactly the same for strength athletes too - food for thought.

I prefer to use water loading pre contest as it keeps your muscle full > IMO dehydrating your body for 4+ days going into a show is counter productive when the idea is to pump up before you go on stage.

anyways some easy net info below that better explains as I can't be arsed typing any more :grin: REM being hydrated will make all of those unscientifically proven supplements work more effectively :pfft:

.... Sodium/potassium ....

These two minerals act as a pair. They are involved with one another at the cellular level, regulating the transfer of nutrients into the cell and waste to the outside of the cell through the cell membrane. Their balance is so critical for healthy cells, and therefore a healthy body, that a third of all energy in the body is devoted to maintaining their balance.

Together they form the sodium-potassium pump. Positive sodium ions, which exist in high concentrations on the outside, are drawn by the negative potassium ions, highly concentrated within the cell. The charge between the two minerals works like a magnet, potassium and sodium attract one another, therefore creating an electrochemical gradient called membrane potential. Membrane potential is necessary for the heart to function properly, for nerve impulse transmission, and muscle contraction.

When there is an imbalance of sodium to potassium, the pump has to work harder to keep the sodium ions from entering the cell. Still, an excess of sodium finds its way inside, along with excess fluid, which causes a drop in blood pressure.

The same magnetic drive between potassium and sodium creates nerve impulses, allowing for proper nerve impulse transmission. The nerve cells stimulate muscle contraction. When there is a potassium and sodium balance, cells, nerves and muscles can all function smoothly. With an imbalance, which is almost always due to both an excess of sodium, and a deficiency of potassium, a set of reactions occurs leading to high blood pressure and unnecessary strain on blood vessels, the heart, and the kidneys. Research has shown that there is a direct link between chronic levels of low potassium and kidney disease, lung disorders, hypertension, and stroke.

Thats really interesting as there is so much debate as to how much you need - and I find it really difficult to keep my water intake up - but I'm getting better, definitely drinking less tea andmore water instead of 5 cups a day (and that's just at work) some of the extra kg's have som e off but not all so I have to admit I'm a little disheartened but just keep tellingmyself that all of this is not an exact science - even if you're calculating you should be losing .5 a week, all sorts of thins (like horones and water retention) can throw that off balance. I need to keep telling myself that it all takes time and 4.5 weeks doesnt mean massive weight loss drop! 4.5 months I shoild see a big difference I just gotta keep doing what I'm doing and be patient.

I have to admit I'm a little disheartened but just keep telling myself that all of this is not an exact science - even if you're calculating you should be losing .5 a week, all sorts of thins (like hormones and water retention) can throw that off balance. I need to keep telling myself that it all takes time and 4.5 weeks doesn't mean massive weight loss drop! 4.5 months I should see a big difference I just gotta keep doing what I'm doing and be patient.
Kate, I could have written those exact same words... you aren't alone!

My favorite tool's not the scales, the Pman's right on the money about not weighing too often - I use the "magic test pants" since it's possible to gain lean mass while the dread dimensions actually shrink. Use your favorite clothing - is it looser/ tighter?

Then there's factors like (as I was reminded only on Thursday) that it can take the body many days to adapt to a new calorie load, exercise regime, etc ....

This is indeed a marathon, not a sprint - hang in there!

The other thing, im a super bitch to everyone in my house when the bodyweight goes up so even more determination to keep off the scales and semi go by clothes :nod:

Well you are my superbitch so that is ok !!!

Haha, thats a crack up, so when did you sign up? you need to get posting.

So I 've been working out lots, watching foods and making good progress - was 66.5 last week, each time I looked, in the morning, same time, same scales (I know to check in morning) then today 68.2!!!! In 3 days!!! That would, if it was fat, have meant I'd eaten 14,000 extra cals over the weekend - we did go away for one night and had some beers and a barbie but still??? So is it water weight? Scales messing with my head? Could it be my cycle? Or just a really really big poo???!!!!!

Give this article a read.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo ... y-fat.html

I found it interesting.