extra calories

justhell

However much the person needs to start gaining the amount of weight they want to. You'll gain the same amount as someone else eating the same caloric value of any other food probably, because calories are what matters. How do you continually fail to understand the basic laws of thermodynamics? Energy in versus energy out. I'm not saying anyone has to consume olive oil. It's an option to increase calories just like more potatoes, rice, oats etc. I don't know why I bother with you most of the time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok u eat 3000cal a day of olive oil and ill eat 3000cal of potatoe... see what happens douchebag

We'd probably both feel like shit, except you'd be eating 4kg a day. Where did I say to consume nothing but olive oil? No where. He asked for ways to add extra calories, I gave a valid option. Good to see that your argument is so weak you have to resort to extreme unrealistic examples.

A varied diet is and always will be superior to eating nothing but any single food item. That doesn't mean you can't add things to a varied diet to help get the desired results.

thanks for that Old fella,sounds like good stuff. :nod:

MCT OIL - The Jack-of-All-Trades in the Supplement World

Of all the supplements bodybuilders use, most questions seem to be about MCT oil. What is it? How does it work? Can it help me gain weight? Does it help in losing fat or cause a gain in fat? The answer to these questions is MCT oil is the most versatile supplement you can use, whether your goal is gaining muscle, losing fat or increasing endurance. Whatever your goal is, MCT oil fits the bill. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this supplement, with guidelines on how to use it in your program.

What is MCT Oil?

MCT oil is a specially engineered fat which contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs). It provides twice the energy of protein and carbohydrate (8.3 calories per gram versus four) and is absorbed into the bloodstream as rapidly as glucose. MCT oil is preferentially used as fuel for energy instead of being stored as bodyfat. As an added benefit, MCT oil has a thermogenic effect because it is converted to energy very rapidly. In short, it is an extremely concenfluted source of calories that is rapidly absorbed and metabolized for energy by the body.

How Can MCT Oil be Used in a Muscle-Building Program?

MCT oil is a key supplement if your goal is building muscle mass for three major reasons. First, it helps spare protein from being used as an energy source and, therefore, your aminos get used for muscle building. This is because some of the energy from MCT oil is converted by the liver into ketone bodies which are used as easily as glucose for fuel. Thus, these ketone bodies replace some of the amino acids used in metabolism and leave them for use in building mass. MCT oil also decreases catabolism of skeletal muscle protein. The efficient utilization of ketones as fuel improves as the body adapts to MCT oil. In other words, your body gets better at using this supplement as it gets used to it. Thus, using it consistently will allow you to get more out of it when you need it.

Second, MCT oil can be used to help increase your caloric intake. Gradually increasing calories builds your metabolism so that your body can move into an anabolic state. For several weeks, concentrate on increasing your calories by 300 to 500 a day to build muscle. Using MCT oil along with protein or carbohydrate powders if your goal is to gain at least one pound of muscle a week. (As you gain weight, monitor your body composition once a week to make sure you are gaining lean mass and not bodyfat.)

The third way MCT oil helps is by having a possible effect on growth hormone levels. Researchers in Spain have proven MCFAs can cause more than a 900-percent increase in GH levels - a peak is reached two hours after ingesting it and is maintained for over three hours. If you are eating every two to three hours like you should be and supplementing with MCT oil, you can keep your GH level naturally elevated all day.

In theory this lets you have the muscle-building actions of GH and insulin without suffering the fat-building effects which usually accompany insulin. I think it is easy then to understand why MCT oil is the perfect supplement to a muscle-building diet.

What Role does MCT Oil Play in Fat-Loss?

Whereas conventional fats, such as oils and margarine, are prone to be stored as bodyfat, MCT oil is transported directly from the small intestine to the liver. MCT oil is retained by the liver where it is rapidly metabolized to produce energy so it has very little tendency to contribute to bodyfat stores.

As noted above, MCT oil provides the caloric density of fat, but without the tendency to store it as fat. In fact, medium-chain triglycerides have been demonstrated to contribute less to bodyfat accumulation than conventional fats or even carbohydrates. This is largely because excess calories from medium-chain triglycerides are converted to body heat in thermogenesis. Use MCT oil as a replacement for carbohydrate fuel to help you lose bodyfat. Used in this manner, MCT oil lets you use a variation of the low-carb, fat-loss strategy, but without the corresponding loss of energy.

Eating fewer carbs alters your insulin-to-glucagon ratio. When carbs are in short supply, the hormone glucagon is released. It stimulates the body to start burning fat for energy. By supplementing with MCT oil, you have a source of energy to carry you through the low-carb times. To be successful with this approach you must also control the ratio of protein and carbohydrate to fat in your diet. This will help balance the release of insulin and glucagon. The levels of these hormones are entirely determined by diet, so you can exert great control over them by carefully regulating what you eat. Among its many functions, insulin is involved in fat storage (such as during excessive carbohydrate consumption), and glucagon is involved in unlocking fat stores. To control the actions of these hormones in favor of fat loss, you first want to meet your protein requirement by eating Ito 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Next, limit conventional fat calories to five percent of your total diet. Last, make up the remainder of your calories with a combination of carbs (including maltodextrin) and MCT oil. For fat loss, you generally want to limit the carb-to-protein ratio and use more MCT oil in your diet.

By replacing regular dietary fat with MCT oil you can achieve a lower bodyfat level than you dreamed possible. Before contests, bodybuilders also supplement MCT oil for starchy carbs. Dietary manipulation of carbs and proteins, along with the use of MCT oil, helps shift the metabolism into fat-burning mode.

Will MCT Oil Aid in Physical Endurance?

You bet. When you want to increase cellular energy, the first thing to think about is MCT oil. It is almost a miracle when it comes to delivering energy to cells. Remember, MCT oil harnesses the energy density of fat but is able to deliver that energy as rapidly as glucose. Thus, it is an immediate energy source that will get burned before the body has time to store it.

If you compete in endurance events, it's important to point out that MCT oil can even spare glucose. Medium-chain fatty acids are diffused into the mitochondria (the energy factor of the cell) very quickly, and are burned immediately for energy at the same time as glucose. This spares glucose, thus helping your glycogen stores last longer. The longer your glycogen stores last, the longer you can train before fatigue sets in. Some of the endurance athletes with whom we work have mixed MCT oil with carb and protein supplements for use as a prerace beverage and have reported significantly increased energy levels during competition. For energy, nothing can touch MCT oil.

How Much MCT Oil Should be Used for Best Results?

Begin by taking one half tablespoon of MCT oil with each meal for three days. Mix it directly into your food. Do not take it on an empty stomach. Increase your usage to one tablespoon per meal for an additional three days. I recommend increasing in increments of half tablespoons. Maintain the new level for three days and then increase again until your maximum usage level, based on your caloric intake, is reached. These recommendations are effective for most people. You may have to adjust them, however, if you experience abdominal cramping or diarrhea, which may result from MCT oil's rapid absorption. Cut back on usage, if you experience these effects, until your tolerance improves. During hard training, many athletes have found doses as high as two to three tablespoons per meal to be beneficial.

I'm posting here to get a moderators opinion on tomsammce's responses to phedder's extremely good advice, not to mention well defended. tomsammce hasn't offered anything to counter this yet insists on providing advice to people.

What he's saying is simply wrong. No-one with even an iota of nutritional knowledge will back it up. Frankly spreading information on the way he is, is either extremely malicious or demonstrates he really doesn't have a clue.

Either way, he should not be posting in the nutrition forums in a way that can mislead people genuinely seeking good advice.

p.s. I know a lot of advice i have mentioned has been controversial.

I'm posting here to get a moderators opinion on tomsammce's responses to phedder's extremely good advice, not to mention well defended. tomsammce hasn't offered anything to counter this yet insists on providing advice to people.

What he's saying is simply wrong. No-one with even an iota of nutritional knowledge will back it up. Frankly spreading information on the way he is, is either extremely malicious or demonstrates he really doesn't have a clue.

Either way, he should not be posting in the nutrition forums in a way that can mislead people genuinely seeking good advice.

Bro, it's a forum and it's the internet. What exactly has he said that is "wrong" in your opinion?

All of that was quite clearly shown by Phedder.

Sure it's the net, and sure it's a forum. However, this is a place a lot of people seem to come for advice. Moderators should to at least a small degree make an attempt ensure the advice offered in a of decent quality.

They disagreed on the value of olive oil for adding calories.

Bro, with respect, your advice is less than average IMO. Do you have some qualifications or achievements which mean that you know what you are talking about more than Tommsauce?

Bro, it's a forum and it's the internet.

This. I have my opinions and Tom has his, and we're welcome to express them on this forum. I don't think the advice Tom was giving was actually that bad, all valid ways to add extra calories to the diet. It was his denial of the benefits of olive oil that I was defending.

MCT oil suggested above would be another easy way to add some more fats to a diet. Not sure about the pricing if you buy it in supplement form, but any palm oil or coconut oil contain primarily MCTs so if they're cheaper could be a better option. Just make sure they're not hydrogenated.

Bro, it's a forum and it's the internet.

This. I have my opinions and Tom has his, and we're welcome to express them on this forum. I don't think the advice Tom was giving was actually that bad, all valid ways to add extra calories to the diet. It was his denial of the benefits of olive oil that I was defending.

MCT oil suggested above would be another easy way to add some more fats to a diet. Not sure about the pricing if you buy it in supplement form, but any palm oil or coconut oil contain primarily MCTs so if they're cheaper could be a better option. Just make sure they're not hydrogenated.

Yup, two differing opinions.

i told him to eat more of what he was already eating, which was good clean food. why dont u post him up a diet for him then you wanker.

whats wrong about what i said? i got plenty of knowledge on nutrition and i put it into practise every day... i never said i was a nutritionalist however i could say i was one as the word nutrionalist doesnt really mean shit, they dont follow a code of ethics/guidlines they give ppl nutritional advice based on what they think will work so basically their opinions.

if you think my advice mis-leading then i dont really care, go pay $150 for a 30min consult to have some four eyed fuckwit print out what iv just said onto an A4 bit of paper for you... then if that nutritionalist said it it must be right.

i actually think you guys are in agreement (sort of).

Phed is correct in that easy cals like oil will work for someone who doesnt know how to eat to gain, or just doesnt have the will power to. its the same as mass gain powders, easy calories but nowere near as good as real food!

which is what tom is saying, which most people here would agree with. drinking olive oil or taking mass gainers may be viable if you are 300 pounds and tryinh to get bigger, but there is no need for it here!

OP, just eat more food. if you cant eat more good food, you arent trying hard enough...

Also, nuts are a good source of fatty acids, really yummy to soak corn thins in olive oil, gotta try it. Id keep sausages, bacon, sauces etc out of your healthy eating plan, very high in sodium.

once a week is fine for sausages, bacon, do you know what a cheat meal is and its benefits??.. sauces are fine while bulking up and are usually nessarcery when eating clean food for long periods of time.

look the guys not trying to cut up for a show.

Metaphysics MCT Oil 500mls

Increase Calorie Content to Meals or Shakes

Recommended Retail NZ $29.00

Shotgun Price NZ $26.00

this stuff is a good calorie booster,im going to get a bottle from shotgun supps and try this out. :nod:

just to let ya know im not too lazy to eat good foods,and i do know what to eat,i was just asking for other peoples ways that they get more calories in.all good

Thanks for the good advice people.

Im leaning towards tom and what SFS said. Both were viable options but I wouldnt go down the olive oil in the protein shake route unless your already a big c**t. Although if you really are struggling its better than not eating enough.

Possibly an easier way to start adding calories is just to increase the number of meals by one?

Also why not add some red meat in there? steak+squats=size :pfft:

Just on a random sidenote, what are our opinions about how big the surplus of calories should be to provide an optimum muscle building environment? thinking about it does +100cals yieald the same amount of muscle mass gained as +500cals just with less fat gain?

Just want to clarify that I wasn't saying olive oil was the only option, or even something everyone should do to add calories. But for the OP, to me, his diet was somewhat lacking in fats, hence my opinion that olive oil would be a good option. As already mentioned, MCT oil and mixed nuts are also good options to add calories and increase fat intake. I'd never advise someone to base their diets around the stuff, that's just moronic. But added to a diet already plentiful in whole foods, yet somewhat lacking in fats, I believe it could be very beneficial.

Metaphysics MCT Oil 500mls

Increase Calorie Content to Meals or Shakes

Recommended Retail NZ $29.00

Shotgun Price NZ $26.00

If you're going to go down the MCT route, you may as well just use coconut oil. No need to buy pure MCT oil supplements, coconut oil is roughly 65-70% MCTs and the LCTs in it are all good as well. You can buy it in bulk much cheaper than pure MCT products, especially those sold by supplement companies. Plus it tastes fantastic, if you like coconut :lol:

Also if you are going to use oil, and you have high blood pressure (I know it can be an issue for some on cycle?) then I think olive oil would actually be a better choice as Oleic acid (main fatty acid in olive oil) has be shown to help reduce blood pressure. Of course you could use a small amount of each to get the best of both worlds :nod: Link to study, unfortunately done on rats. However there are many human studies showing olive oils ability to reduce BP, this one just shows that the possible reason is it's oleic acid content.

Just on a random sidenote, what are our opinions about how big the surplus of calories should be to provide an optimum muscle building environment? thinking about it does +100cals yieald the same amount of muscle mass gained as +500cals just with less fat gain?

No science here really, just my logic and opinion. I assume the body isn't 100% efficient at utilizing excess calories to build muscle when the stimulus is there. However the efficiency may reduce as the excess calories increase, i.e; at +100 cals 95% is used for muscle, +200 cals 85% used for muscle, +300 cals 70% used for muscle, ad nauseam. Totally arbitrary numbers of course, just to illustrate my thinking. It would all depend on the size of the individual too, someone who's 50kg a 500 cal excess would be a large percentage of their maintenance calories, someone who's 100kg+ a 500 cal excess is a smaller percentage above maintenance.

To the actual question, I'd doubt someone could get optimum muscle growth from a 100 cal excess, however it is likely they would also gain the least percentage of fat. There'd surely be a point where no matter how many extra calories your adding, they won't be at all utilized for muscle growth. i.e at +500 cals you're maximising your muscle growth, if you go to +600 cals, those extra 100 cals will all just be stored as fat and not contribute at all to muscle gain. Again arbitrary numbers to illustrate my thinking.

Shit I'm good at rambling :oops:

. Frankly spreading information on the way he is, is either extremely malicious

yea well thats tom. get used to it.

i think phedder has a good point, eating a shitload of potatoes/oats/whatever can be tiring and often time consuming so adding some fats such as nuts/olive oil in small amounts each day can make a difference, in terms of calories and good fats. all depends on your situation.

-Light peanut butter, has a little less fats but some maltodextrin. This som good shit to snack on with veg

-Nuts are super hi cals,

-Raw milk/Full milk, replace your water supply with this :D

-MCT/coconut cream is real good, slows down digestion but absorbs like a carb source. Good for post workout shakes if you not wanting to spike insulin but still have a good source of nutrients to follow up after a workout, or even after a typical insulin spiking shake..depends ho you do things.

-Muscle Milk/Mass gainers back to the MCT stuff, muscle milk isnt super high cal buts its pretty decent and pretty cheap

+ ive heard that it is quite high in metals...i know this isnt healthy but you wanna get gains right....just sayin

-mince & kumara quality meal for cheap :D