#drizzt

drizzt

Powerlifting - skip to the final page, otherwise here is a table of contents (of sorts)/some training highlights from 2011-2012, in chronological order...

Current best lifts for the "big 3" (gym/comp - links are for video evidence where available):

• Squat (suit+wraps) =

(belt+kneewraps) =
    /280x1(comp)
    "Classic" Squat (belt only) =
    /175x1(comp)
    Beltless Squat =

• Bench (raw) =
    /155x1(comp/equipped)
    Paused gym = 150
  • Dead (belt only) = 280x1(gym)/

Beltless Dead =

And for a blast to the past, here's my old cutting log. Ahhh fond memories of restrictive diet and lots of cardio :pfft:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24.01.11 - Chest + Tris

Into the 3rd week of the powerbuilding, has been good to keep away from the barbell a bit!

• Incline DB Press (sets, reps, weights)
    1 x 10 @ 65lb
    1 x 8 @ 75lb
    1 x 6 @ 85lb
    1 x 6 @ 95lb
    1 x 8 @ 75lb
    1 x 10 @ 70lb
  • Dips
    1 x 10 @ +1 big chain
    1 x 7 @ +2 big chains
    2 x 6 @ +2 big chains
  • Decline DB Press
    1 x 10 @ 50lbs
    1 x 8 @ 60lbs
    1 x 8 @ 70lbs
    1 x 7 @ 70lbs
  • OH DB Tri Press
    1 x 10 @ 65lbs
    1 x 7 @ 80lbs
    2 x 6 @ 85lbs
  • Rope Pushdowns
    4 x 15 @ 80lbs
  • DB Side Bends
    1 x 10 @ 70lbs
    3 x 8 @ 80lbs

Comments

• Inclines felt good, probably could've hit the 100lbs but wanted something in the tank for dips...
  • Dips were ok, did them with chains which was a nice change, not sure how much they were but at a guess maybe 10kilo each.
  • Nothing much else to say, everything else went sweet.

Bit of an adjustment going from DBs in kgs to DBs in lbs but just meant I had to use the brain a little more than usual :pfft:

Nice first workout in the House, and everyone puts their weights away? I must be in gym heaven! :pray:

25.01.11 - Upper Back/Bis

94 flat on the official scales today (with shoes etc). About as I expected. Feeling bigger at the moment which is great.

• Chins (sets, reps, weights)
    3 x 6 @ +10kg chain
    1 x 4 @ +10kg chain
    1 x 4 @ bw (dropset)
  • Pulldowns
    1 x 8 @ 50kg
    2 x 6 @ 60kg
    1 x 8 @ 50kg
    1 x 10 @ 40kg
  • Face Pulls
    1 x 10 @ 80
    2 x 10 @ 100
    1 x 10 @ 120
  • DB Rows
    1 x 8 @ 80lbs
    3 x 6 @ 85lbs
  • SCC
    1 x 10 @ 80
    2 x 10 @ 100
    1 x 10 @ 120
  • Preacher Curls (e-z bar)
    1 x 10 @ 10kg/ps
    3 x 6 @ 15kg/ps

Comments

• Nothin' much to say. Felt a bit sacreligious doing curls in the House :shifty: So waited until OB had left and the house was empty to do the Preachers :pfft:
    Everything felt pretty good, nicely exhausted by the end.

Cheers bro. And yeah, sounds a bit cheesey but can definitely feel a sense of achievement in there, anything less than an intense effort feels like a cop out at the moment which is good.

Probably also good that there isn't eye candy like at Thorndon = less of a distraction + more work done :pfft:

sounds like a great start D, gotta respect the place, eh...

I always thought the hardest part of leg day at CityFitness was getting down the stairs afterwards, but now they're putting a lift in :think:

When I dropped in to see OB n meet a couple of the guys, I definitely got the feeling that it was "Go hard or go home" territory.

Cheers TFB, that's a better way of putting it!

Ok so summarising a massive spiel I had typed out :pfft: Goals for the year are (in rough order of importance):

• Stronger squat, 200 in the near future, 230-240 by the end of the year. Squat responds well to mid-reps, high frequency, with regular progression as a focus, so that's what I'll do
  • Stronger core, and better hip flexibility/mobility. These relate to the above goal, but are generally separate work
  • Keep conditioning/cardio fitness high for rugby, so I can pick up an overseas contract at short notice should one pop up
  • Stronger bench, a 150 this year would be pleasing (=PB), anything extra would be a bonus
  • All of the above while keeping bodyweight at or under 95kg - within quick-cutting distance of the 93kg powerlifting division

Forseeable problems are:

• Core strength, hip mobility/flexibility, and glute/ham activation. I believe these are the key reasons for my squat being held back
  • Rugby will need to take a backseat for the gym work to improve, I'm wanted for the top team in our club, but I'm not sure if they'll accept my lesser commitment for the year. They're putting up with it for pre-season, but I can't see much leeway during the year... I obviously want rugby to stick around in whatever capacity though, to keep the skill level up and the "rugby thinking" sharp (*waits for jokes about rugby players thinking* :pfft:) should a contract pop up
  • Time in the week, ideally I want to do 4 days in the gym, with maybe one extra for conditioning. However, with 2x rugby trainings and 1x game per week, this will be tough to keep up. 3 days could be a goer, depends what I end up cutting back on for rugby. I would break tradition and work outside of the 7 day-week mindset, but because rugby is on set days this isn't always possible.

From next week I'll go with the 4 days idea, with 1 day of conditioning. First draft is looking like this:

• Day 1 - Squat/chest/tris
    ME Squat
    DE/alternate Bench
    Dips
    OH Tri press
    Skullcrushers
    Russian Twists
  • Day 2 - Back/bis
    Chins
    Rack pulls
    DB rows
    Preacher Curls
    Landmines
  • Day 3 - Bench/squat/quads/calves
    ME Bench
    Alt Squat
    Reverse sled drag
    Leg ext
    Calf Raises
    Other calf ex
    Core ex
  • Day 4 - Deads/squat/hams/shoulders/conditioning
    Deads
    Rear Delt Raise
    OHP
    DE Squat
    GHR
    Standing Band crunches
    Conditioning Stuff (sleds, prowler, tyre, etc)
    5km run (?)

What I've done for Day 4 is compress the conditioning into the same workout, where I had initially planned for them to be separate.

I'll aim to throw some quick calf exercises in when I can, as they're an area I've been neglecting a bit...

And as mentioned previously, I'm aiming for at least 5 Agile 8 sessions per week, gradually ramping up the sets on each exercise.

Very much conceptual at this stage, but if anybody has any suggestions on this rough draft then I'd love some constructive feedback :D

27.01.11 - Posterior Chain

• Safety Bar Box Squats (box @ bottom of knee cap)(sets, reps, weights)
    1 x 10 @ 65kg
    1 x 8 @ 85kg
    1 x 6 @ 105kg
    1 x 6 @ 145kg
    1 x 6 @ 155kg
    took top box away, squatting to mid-shin:
    1 x 3 @ 105kg
    1 x 5 @ 65kg
  • Front Squats
    1 x 8 @ 60kg
    1 x 6 @ 80kg
    1 x 6 @ 95kg
  • GHR
    4-5 reps(?)
  • Russian Twists
    2 x 10/ps @ 10kg DB
    3 x 6/ps @ 5kg plate (on hyper ext bench)
    (+ a few token landmines)
  • Speed Deads
    1 rep @ 140kg
    6 reps/30secs rest @ 180kg

Comments

• Was really cool to be able to do the safety bar box squats. Have been reading around a bit, and after doing so I think it might be better for me to start on a higher box and learn the tech better. To a high box (which was just above parallel for me) the weights felt really smooth, not to mention easier to hold the bar in place (which is what my core struggles to do for me currently!). However, when switching to the low box, the first 3 reps were a struggle. Big eye opener there not to get too cocky! I'd like to continue these in my routine, so may throw them in on my alternate squat days in the coming weeks. Could feel the low back in action on these.
  • Front squats, I wanted to hit bodyweight on the top set, and managed 6 reps at slightly above it which I was happy with given the short time back with this exercise.
  • Speed deads were sweet, 140 felt too light so I upped to 180. Speed wasn't as great as I had hoped at this weight, but I think it improved through the sets.
  • GHRs were a big fail :pfft: First time using a "proper" GHR bench so it was tough! Got a couple of the fellas to show me how to do it, managed a few reps before uncontrollable cramp took over :pfft: This is one I'll stick at to improve on :nod:
  • Started doing standard Russian twists with DBs on a bench, until OB took me over to the hyper bench and showed me a tougher variation on there so I completed the sets using that method. Really good exercise! OB also showed me the landmines setup, and those were bloody tough too! Adding these in once or twice a week each will hopefully accelerate the core progress quite well, as I'll find them a huge challenge going by today's efforts!

Had a chat with the Trap during the workout, thinking I might have a couple more ideas on improving squat which I'll try when I'm back to conventional next week :nod:

What are your thoughts on diet, D ?

Seems to me that could be a pretty full-on programme, is it likely to require a step-up in nutrition ?

Ooooh yeah! :nod: I've been eating like a mad man on the current program, cals have been up but weight gain has been minimal. Food has been 70% clean, but I think the timing of it is the most important thing - in particular, my post workout meal is basically whatever I can get down =P~

Not going to worry so much about fat gain at the mo, but with the weight in mind and not wanting that to get over 95kg, I'm going to have to be smart with it. Will continue with IF as that's easy to follow and is showing great results still.

Will continue with higher cals, higher carbs, lower fat on training days, and the opposite on non-workout days as that seems to be going well. High protein throughout obviously...

Now that you mention it, though, I might start logging diet again from next week, to keep me accountable :nod: Cheers mate.

27.01.11 - Posterior Chain

[*]GHRs were a big fail :pfft: First time using a "proper" GHR bench so it was tough! Got a couple of the fellas to show me how to do it, managed a few reps before uncontrollable cramp took over :pfft: This is one I'll stick at to improve on :nod:

[*]Started doing standard Russian twists with DBs on a bench, until OB took me over to the hyper bench and showed me a tougher variation on there so I completed the sets using that method. Really good exercise! OB also showed me the landmines setup, and those were bloody tough too! Adding these in once or twice a week each will hopefully accelerate the core progress quite well, as I'll find them a huge challenge going by today's efforts!

Had a little smile, it is like night and day a proper "GGHR" Gastro Glute Ham Raise, many have entered and gone on about Hamstring Strength and come up very short in reps like under 5 and not a big ROM either.

Same for the Russian Twists both these exercises have been Bastardized for Shiny Land.

"Enjoy the Pain Feel The Power"

[*]GHRs were a big fail :pfft: First time using a "proper" GHR bench so it was tough! Got a couple of the fellas to show me how to do it, managed a few reps before uncontrollable cramp took over :pfft: This is one I'll stick at to improve on :nod:

Know what ya mean dude, I'd never tried them before Nate introduced me to the GHR bench at Magpies. I made it through 3 partials and that was it :lol: Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to ghetto up some equipment at my local. Considered using the Pulldown, but the seat may be a bit narrow, so probably a couple of benches with a few plates on the one my feet go under :pfft: Definitely worth sticking at though

Heh, cheers OB, will hopefully get some GHR work in every couple of sessions to keep 'em ticking along.

Know what ya mean dude, I'd never tried them before Nate introduced me to the GHR bench at Magpies. I made it through 3 partials and that was it :lol: Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to ghetto up some equipment at my local. Considered using the Pulldown, but the seat may be a bit narrow, so probably a couple of benches with a few plates on the one my feet go under :pfft: Definitely worth sticking at though

Yeah I had been doing them on the Lat Pulldown and actually thought I was getting pretty good... until I used the proper one :pfft: No worries though, as mentioned above I'm going to start adding them in regularly.

29.01.11 - Shoulders/Conditioning

• OHP (not strict) (sets, reps, weights)
    1 x 10 @ bar
    1 x 8 @ 60kg
    1 x 6 @ 80kg
    1 x 4 @ 90kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    1 x 8 @ 60kg
    1 x 10 @ 40kg
  • BB BNP
    4 x 10 @ 30kg
  • Rear Delt Raises
    4 x 10 @ 10lb
  • Side Raises
    2 x 10 @ 20lb
    2 x 8 @ 30lb
  • Calf Raises
    1 x 20 @ 80kg
    2 x 12 @ 100kg
  • Landmines
    4 x 10/ps
  • Sled Drags
    4 consecutive lengths @ 75kg on sled
  • Prowlers
    4 consecutive lengths @ 45kg on prowler (horns one way, low bar the other)
  • Explosive Sled Work
    4 x lengths of 2x arm work
    10 x lengths of single arm work

Comments

• OHP was good, early and late sets were pretty strict, heavier sets used some fair push pressing
  • First calf work for a while so it was pretty tough, also threw in a set of 10 single leg raises just on the ground in between almost every set in the workout. Need to start doing this more often not for muscle building purposes, but for stretching mainly.
  • Landmines were pretty tough.
  • Sleds were surprisingly easy, but crap the prowlers were hard, last length was very slow.
  • OB showed me some explosive work mainly for the shoulders, where I'd hold a harness in each hand (or in the one hand for the single version), and explode back/forward/up using the arms and shoulders - depending on where I was targeting - to drag the sled along. Generally took 4 or so movements to get down a length. Fairly light weight on the sled (10kg) but was just working on getting used to doing this sort of thing, so the weight isn't the focus at the mo.

Awesome session, learnt a lot today, and actually had the House Doc crack the back + do something to my pelvic alignment. All I know is I stood up and felt like I was moving a lot more freely, and was a lot more upright :grin: Looking at doing some regular sessions with him, this will all hopefully tie into the improved flexibility and stuff that I'm after.

Wanted to do a 5k jog today but besides having to leave because I had someone waiting, the legs probably weren't up to it anyway :oops: Went to the beach, got there and it was a tad grey, still had a fairly nice swim, albeit a bit chilly. Great day, now time to relax.

Oh and diet for today has been (and will be a bit later)

• 11.30am (pre-workout)
    P-Slin, multi vit, trib
    1/2 cup oats (cooked in water) + fruit salad
    10g BCAA
  • 1pm (post-workout)
    Shake - 45g protein, 10g BCAA, 400ml(?) powerade
    Banana
  • 3pm (meant to be post-workout as well)
    Size 14 chook + 300g roasted/curried kumara & carrots
    Multi vits, fish oil, flax oil
  • 7pm (dinner/last meal)
    450g (uncooked weight) scotch fillet
    4 whole eggs
    Leafy Salad
    30g casein protein shake (full milk)
    ZMA (couple hours after meals)

Think that'll be it for the day, may have some more fruit if I get hungry. As you can see I go for a few big meals as opposed to lots of smaller ones in my 8 hour feed window.

Also shifted the window an hour or so forward due to an earlier workout. Normal business resumes tomorrow.

nice bit of food to get thru on ur last meal!!

whats the idea behind the diet/food?

Heh, thought the chook + kumara would be a bit bigger I think...

Basically I eat until I'm not hungry, within an 8 hour window (intermittent fasting style). Training days are meant to be high carb/low fat/high cal, non-training are meant to be the opposite. Probably not as many carbs today as I'd usually go for, but cals are up there a bit, and fat is down (might swap the schotch fillet for a sirloin). Protein should be up there every day, and is ok today.

Bit of a catchup in the log for the past couple of days....

31.01.11 - Squat, Chest, Tris

First day of new program, feeling it out a bit here. Intend to go auto-regulatory on most exes, using the reverse pyramid structure. Reason being; obviously I feel I get my best effort out at the beginning of an exercise, so will do some light warmups followed by 1-2 sets at the top weight (auto-regulated, so will depend on feel on the day), and 2-3 sets following where I decrease the weight and increase the reps.

Working sets will be 5-6 reps, total sets for a given exercise will rarely exceed 6. Wanting to shorten the workouts a little to lessen the impact to the body, and allow rugby to worm it's way into my routine, so I'm just playing around with things at the mo. Trying to find the correct balance for me.

• ME Squat (sets, reps, weights)
    1 x 10 @ bar
    1 x 10 @ 75kg
    2 x 6 @ 130kg
    1 x 8 @ 100kg
    1 x 10 @ 60kg
  • Incline Bench
    4 x 10 @ 60kg
  • Dips
    2 x 5 @ 2xchains
    1 x 8 @ 1xchain
    1 x 15 @ bw (failure)
  • DB Flyes
    4 x 10 @ 30lb
  • OH Tri Press
    2 x 5 @ 80lb
    1 x 8 @ 70lb
    1 x 10 @ 60lb
  • CG Bench
    1 x 8 @ 60kg
    2 x 5 @ 80kg
    1 x 8 @ 60kg
  • Russian Twists
    4 x 6/ps @ 5kg plate

Comments

• Squats felt ok, hammies/groin are sore today. Tried a lower bar position for a couple of the sets, but wrists are a tad inflexible at the mo to hold it in place. Will stick at it though, because the sets with the lower bar felt much better, being closer to my hips seemed to transfer power to the bar better.
  • Thinking in future on these days, I'll probably drop the incline press completely and just do CG Bench instead. Kills two birds with one stone in that it's an alternate bench movement (what I was after) as well as a tri movement obviously, so ticks both boxes in this case.
  • Nothing much else to say, dips were good, russian twists were a struggle (moreso than usual!).

01.02.11 - Back, Bis

• Chins (sets, reps, weights)
    1 x 5 @ 1chain (10kg?)
    1 x 8 @ smaller chain (5kg?)
    1 x 8 @ bw (failure)
  • WG Lat Puldowns
    2 x 8 @ 55kg
    2 x 10 @ 45kg
  • DB Rows
    2 x 5 @ 80lb
    1 x 8 @ 70lb
    1 x 10 @ 60lb
  • Preacher Curls (e-z-bar)
    1 x 10 @ 5kg/ps
    2 x 5 @ 15kg/ps
    1 x 8 @ 10kg/ps
  • Standing Band Crunches
    3 x 10 @ 5secs pause

Comments

• Chins were good. Intended to do Rack pulls but in my state I couldn't see myself shifting the weight that easily (+ the back was still a bit tender from the first squat session in ages), so swapped lat pulldowns in. Not sure if I'll continue with them, or move to something like T-bar rows.
  • Intended to do Landmines for abs today, but "the lane" was taken so picked up a band instead. Tougher than it looks, I think a big issue of mine is just engaging the core. It'll come, these were still tough and the torso is definitely feeling it today :nod:

I was hungover today from a concert the previous night :shifty: Got in earlier than usual and was a little off (obviously) but surprisingly good workout otherwise.

Also ran the 1-2ish kms back to where I was staying to sweat out a little of the booze. Seemed to work. Slept most of the rest of the day in the sun, good times.

Also have 7s this weekend, so will need to compress my Saturday workout into tomorrow's one. Looking like I'll do light squats, light-moderate deads, and heavy bench, with a bit of abs and 1-2 additional things.

As for diet, highlights of mine for the past few days have been a few roast chooks + lotsa roast veggies, a couple feet of subway sandwiches (1.5 in one sitting), some birthday cake + memphis meltdown ( =P~ ), roughly 2doz chicken sausages + a big burger, about a doz eggs... and a bit of booze.

So not particularly good, but I have low expectations for this week, particularly with 7s approaching. This is kind of a belated New Years for me I guess.

03.02.11 - Full body

93.3 today (without shoes - weighed inbetween deadlift sets)

• Bench (sets, reps, weights)
    Bar warmups
    1 x 10 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    1 x 5 @ 110kg
    1 x 5 @ 100kg
    1 x 8 @ 80kg
    1 x 10 @ 60kg
  • Squats (Light/explosive)
    4 x 10 @ 80kg
    5 jump-tucks in between sets
  • Deads
    1 x 10 @ 60kg (fast)
    1 x 5 @ 180kg
    1 x 6 @ 140kg
  • Landmines
    3 x 10 @ bar/wider handle
  • GHR
    4 x 6 @ bw \:D/

Comments

• First time BB benching since the end of Sheiko, felt ok but a bit rusty.
  • Squats were alright, to further the explosive theme I was doing jump-tucks in between sets. Doc also cracked my back in between sets and got the alignment sorted again which was awesome, says my alignment is coming along much better :nod:
  • For deads I just really wanted to blast out that one working moderate-ish set at 180, and that went up pretty well. Hook gripped :x
  • Stuck the "harder" of the two handles on the landmines, because I'm a stickler for punishment in the House now for some reason (seeing the Doc giving his all on the GPP may have had something to do with it :clap:)
  • GHRs felt real good today, first time trying with some extra padding on the bench and it made it a heck of a lot easier, found I was able to use the hams more without worrying about the front of the knees/quads taking a beating from the bench :nod:

Also had a chat to the resident explosive/sprint expert, gave me a couple of tips on power cleans - where I just explode straight from the floor to the chest, he suggests knocking it up off the hips and I'll be able to handle more weight. Wanna give this a try so I might look at implementing these (starting light again) on Post.Chain days or something - maybe even real light on conditioning days.

That'll be me until Monday as I have the 7s this weekend, if I'm not too hungover I might go in and sweat some booze out on Sunday, my cardio is lacking badly at the moment! :oops:

Diet today will be lower cals than normal due to the next couple of days being quite loose :shifty: Looking at maybe 2000cals for today (as opposed to 3500+ ish? normally) in a shorter window, as it's gonna blow out tomorrow and Saturday. In saying that, I'm going to leave some prepared meals at home for me for the post-booze feed, as I've found this helps me avoid the deep fried crap my mates usually go for :nod:

So, big weekend at the 7s, actually drunk less than I thought I would, but the diet was a bit of a let down - purely beef patties + snarlers + bread all weekend after cooking up a big BBQ on Friday. Expected though, back into the swing of things today.

07.02.11 - Squats + Chest + Tris

• ME Squats (sets, reps, weights)
    bar warmups
    1 x 6 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    1 x 3 @ 120kg
    1 x 6 @ 135kg
    1 x 3 @ 120kg
    1 x 5 @ 100kg
    1 x 10 @ 60kg
  • Floor Press
    1 x 10 @ 60kg
    1 x 8 @ 80kg
    1 x 5 @ 100kg
    1 x 8 @ 80kg
    1 x 10 @ 60kg
  • Incline DB Press
    1 x 6 @ 85lb
    1 x 8 @ 70lb (hammer grip)
    1 x 10 @ 60lb (hammer grip)
  • Dips
    1 x 6 @ +20kg
    1 x 8 @ +10kg
    1 x 10 @ bw
  • OHT Press
    1 x 8 @ 80lb/6 @ 70lb/6 @ 60lb/8 @ 50lb/10 @ 30lb/10 @ 20lb
  • Russian Twists superset with GHR
    3 x 8 @ 5kg & 3 x 6 @ bw

Comments

• Squats were great, think rather than reverse pyrmaid I feel more comfortable building up to a top set with a few sets beforehand, gets me in the groove. 135 felt pretty comfortable, the sets on the way back down felt really good, really upright, I think the core work is starting to show it's worth.
  • Thought I'd try floor press instead of CG Bench with all the talk on here about how effective people find it, still not sure which one I'll go with though. I get more ROM with CG and I found it tougher on the tris, but floor press I can probably overload with more weight. Will see next week, maybe interchange them from week to week.
  • Incline DBs were ok, bit fatigued from Floor Press.
  • Dips were good, probably should've went for 2-3 more reps on the top set as I felt a bit more in the tank, stuck to the program instead. Last couple of sets were pretty much failure though.
  • OH Tri Press was one consecutive drop set, really burnt the tris out here. Did it like this to speed the workout up a bit.
  • Russian Twists are feeling good, improving. Struggled for 6 rep sets last week, 8 today was fairly comfortable. GHRs are coming along really nicely, hoping to put them into at least every second workout to keep the hams improving.

Rest periods were fairly short today which contributed to a lotta sweating. Was gonna do some conditioning but didn't need to by the way the shirt was drenched after the weights. Obviously the booze ejecting itself outta the pores :pfft:

Started creatine loading today.

Watching superbowl now, go Packers!