Body for LIfe

shays

Hi All,

Just wondering what anyone thinks of the body for life program. I got the book for christmas and am into my third week of it. Loving it so far but whenever I metion it to anyone I get the whole rolling of the eyes look...so I've just decided to shut up about it and see where it takes me in another 9 weeks time. Anyone out there start off on this first before progressing to bigger and better things?

Suz

It was the first thing i ever did in the gym. Got a little bit of out it but didnt eat enough/properly so I didnt have this amazing transformation or anything. What it did do was get me interested in the gym more and get me motivated to take things more seriously. Its a good place to start imo.

:ditto: Some folks may bag Body for Life but IMO they're doing it out of ignorance.

It's actually a very sound, well thought-out programme to get people engaged and active, with a proven track record of results.

From there, you can choose what to do next, but I think it's a good start.

Yup i also reckon its a great place to start.

People that roll'n their eyes at it are probably getting fish n chips for dinner right now & complaining that no matter what they do they just can't lose weight. :lol: I am sure we all know someone like that.

Just remember that when you have finished the 12 weeks. Start it again...... it doesn't end there!

If you haven't already take a photo of yourself & then again at the 12 weeks. Then use that photo as your before photo for the following 12 weeks.

Its not a program its a lifestyle which you can have if you enjoy it & stick to it.

Thanks for the feedback folks, really enjoying it and can't wait to get some muscle :grin: will def keep at it!

I did it a few years back and it is what got me on track, and gave me a passion for lifting. If done properly, it's very effective and it should teach you enough to take it to the next level when you're done. It's definitely best not to mention it to certain people, due to their ignorance and incorrect view that the programme is too much. Go hard :)

:D Ive been at it for 14 days now and I love the simplicity yet in depth knowledge of BFL. Its a shame we (NZ) arent included any longer for the BFL challenge but that shouldnt deter you or me from continuing on no matter what. Love the increased strength its giving me and my body is starting to shape. Even though its only 2 weeks but I have always muscled quickly. Up a up and away I say let us know your upcoming results. I have just bought my first round of EAS nutrition. Even though its costly I simply do without what kept me over weight or into bad habits. Like eating big meals out, its a no brainer trade off! All the best with your BFL!!!

A couple of years ago I was very out of shape and started Body for Life. As previously mentioned it is a great start to fitness and I personally think the reason it works is that you have to have accountability and write everything down.

I know that writing down what I was eating and drinking and planning this out really helped me. Also seeing your weights increase and your times get faster really motivated me.

An excellent program to get started on if you follow the simple rules.

@ Karensaid, I understand that you love the program but please don't get brainwashed into thinking that the results can be made only with the help EAS nutritional supplements. It is simply a selling ploy on behalf of EAS company to maximise their profits. Granted, meal replacement shakes and protein bars are ok (in moderation) however, watching your diet especially your carbs, eating clean whole foods and drinking lots of water will have great effects as well. The best rule to adhere to is that if you can not see it coming out of the ground or a tree then don't eat it. If you eat meat even the Paleo diet is better than all the supplementation (and a great deal cheaper)

The transformations on the videos are especially dramatic, but hearing them you know something is up " I drink my Myoplex shake 4 times a day and it is delicious". Come on, no one speaks like that and it is clearly a selling ploy.

Newbie here and am so thrilled to have found this forum!!

Shay,I too have been introduced to Body for Life and from what I have read, I am feeling very excited about starting.I am disappointed that you cannot register in NZ anymore but that won't prevent me from starting and changing my lifestyle :D .I admire bodybuilders commitment as I worked within a gym years ago and seen firsthand what is required.

I have a question though,as Maximus mentioned meal replacements etc,is it still necessary to take creatine and protein shakes etc.I am a total novice when it comes to supplements but I assume myoplex branded products are not necessary.Could someone steer me in the right direction please!Also,anyone in Wellington looking for a BFL buddy,random question but would be great to work alongside someone else!

There are loads of people on here with far more knowledge than me about nutrition and supplementation, however, I personally would avoid using Creatine in the beginning and educate yourself on clean healthy foods that will help nourish you and make you feel better instead. Most protein powders are full of fillers that are simply not that good for you.

As this is not a "diet" but a long term thing, use the money that most people spend on supplements and crap like that and have decent food (organic if possible)

Some rules that I live with:

* Only eat foods that your grandmother could recognise.

* Use farmers markets for Veg and Fruit.

* If it comes in a box or through your car window it is not food.

* Treat treats as treats

* Only have small treats on days that begin with "S"

* If you fancy some junk food like chocolate pudding, make it yourself.

Just my opinion and I'm sure most people would not agree with half of it.

Solid advice, Maximus....

I like what Michael Pollan had to say in In Defence of Food :

Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants

Creatine's not really necessary while on BFL, purely my personal 2c worth, and I'd recommend you regard protein shakes only as an "if necessary" alternative to whole food where the convenience or timing makes whole food too hard.

I couldn't agree more with you Maximus and that is pretty much what I have learnt thorugh the BFL book as well as seeing a nutritionist over the past 12 months.

Tinkerbell, I have been following BFL for 4 weeks now and I have not been using the EAS myoplex shakes etc, I eat actual foods 99% of the time. I have a lot of cottage cheese, fruit, ryvita crackers etc as my "midmeals". I've been having those Carbless deluxe bars as my last meal of the day - some say it's just a candy bar "disguised" as something good for you - nutritional content looks fine on the back though, 10g of protein! Plus we all need some kind of treat don't we? :D It doesn't seem to have affected my progress, my body fat has decreased and muscle mass has increased so I'm stoked! Would love hear updates on anyone's progress!

Hi Tygrr, it's going well for me so far :) making steady progress, bf is dropping and muscle mass is increasing, clothes are feeling looser. Today is the start of my 6th week into it and had a lower body work out this morning - legs were shaking while I was doing my lunges but got them done! Finding the cardio component getting easier so up'd it on Thursday and almost passed out!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Shays

Awesome that you are taking on such a positive challenge. I have just started the BFL challenge again this week. I did it about 10 years ago and got extremely good results so it really does work. When I did it last time I did fork out the money and use EAS supplements like Myoplex, Betagen etc and I did feel that they helped but this time I can't afford it so am just going with eating a clean diet and supplementing with some free whey protein that a friend has kindly donated.

• 4 months later...

I quite like Body For Life. Only having to do 20mins of cardio - I am in - I hate running! Just need to make sure you are eating right... which is not quite what I am doing, but I agree with an earlier poster, definitely got me into the gym!

• 6 months later...

BFL is a great place to start!! I had the best results when I first did the BFL programme in 2008. The fundamentals are sound. The other thing to remember is that you do not need to use the ESA products. There are many others on the supermarket shelves that are just as good. My only advice would be to do the programme with a friend or buddy up with someone at work or your gym. It is a big commitment and staying motivated can be a problem if you're on your own. :D

• 2 months later...

Yes it does work... results do vary though... I did it in 2007 and had quite good success... Lost 14 kilos, 11% body fat and 7 inches off the waist. Like most of the folks in here are saying, its definately a good starting point and if you think "Only 20 minutes of cardiovascular training", your in for a big shock lol

post-10325-14166823865874_thumb.jpg

post-10325-14166823866103_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Just wondering what anyone thinks of the body for life program. I got the book for christmas and am into my third week of it. Loving it so far but whenever I metion it to anyone I get the whole rolling of the eyes look...so I've just decided to shut up about it and see where it takes me in another 9 weeks time. Anyone out there start off on this first before progressing to bigger and better things?

Suz

Are the people rolling their eyes fatties that sit in front of the TV all day munching on crap?