Shoulder advice for frustrated newbie

dazza139

Only being going to gym for 6 months or so. Pretty happy with my gains so far but have a niggling shoulder problem. Sometimes its the front of my shoulder, sometimes it's my deltoid, sometimes it's just all over - a diffuse ache most of the time with the occasional twinge in the front of my shoulder. Thought it might be biceps tendinitis, bursitis, or an AC joint problem. I've seen a sports doctor. Steroids in my AC joint didn't fix the problem. Ultrasound and XRAY are both normal and a couple of weeks rest did seem to help but after a couple of weeks back in the gym its come back. Now I'm on a prescription of rotator cuff strengthening and posture-improvement exercises (I tend to round my shoulders a bit). Generally pissed off that this problem won't go away :( . I'm not really sure what exercises make it worse, nor what sets it off. When it's bad both my chest and back workouts suffer a bit because they both involve my shoulders getting a bit of a workout.

Would appreciate advice from anyone who might have had a similar problem and if so how they overcame it.

Bloody frustrating!

I'm in/was in the same sorta boat and to cure it I do external rotations at the start of every workout. Doing 25 on my left side followed immediately by 25 on my right dropping a rep and repeat until doing rep each side after a couple of weeks of this I started to work back up to 25 again.

Hope this helps

Just my 2c worth. It might be a totally different injury/niggle but I often get the dull ache / occasional shooting pain 'injury' in my shoulders. When I'm resting i.e watching TV in the evening, I spend the time swapping between ice (sandwich bag full of ice) and heat (wheat bag or hot water bottle) - sometime over the course of a few hours. It helps immensely.