Shoulder rehabilitation/advice?

Dubble_D

Hey All,

Started Jujitsu on Saturday to try something new and different. So much fun!!! \:D/

Last night was my second session and what do you know..... I dislocate my shoulder (by the smallest & youngest dude there :oops: )

This is the second time, first time being a year ago. Both same left shoulder.

Went through all the hurdles, X-ray etc. and was referred to a physio.

Physio said weight training is out for 4-6 weeks :shock:

Sorry to say I doubt that will happen. Actually certain I wont last that long.

Well down to the point:

-Has anyone had experience with multiple shoulder dislocations? ie. Recovery time, reoccurring problems.

-Anything to help speed up recovery time?

-What excersises should I definitely avoid.

Also, it was a Anterior dislocation.

Help/advice will be much appreciated :nod:

Go to a good sports physio - check Academy of Sport for providers. A rugby one might be good - that injury occurs regularly.

Take their advice - no doubt you'll need to strengthen ligaments & tendons after that - don't rush into any weights - without healing properly you'll be heading for surgery to stop it constantly dislocating. :nod:

The weights will still be there when you fix your shoulder up - remember the game is like a marathon not a sprint! Plus you can focus on legs, core & cardio!

Go to a good sports physio - check Academy of Sport for providers. A rugby one might be good - that injury occurs regularly.

Take their advice - no doubt you'll need to strengthen ligaments & tendons after that - don't rush into any weights - without healing properly you'll be heading for surgery to stop it constantly dislocating. :nod:

The weights will still be there when you fix your shoulder up - remember the game is like a marathon not a sprint! Plus you can focus on legs, core & cardio!

Because ACC probably will not cover a surgery citing degeneration :)

Plus you can focus on legs, core & cardio!

I can see your new split already DD

Mon: Squats, Abs

Tue: Squats, Abs

Wed: Rest

Thur: Squats, Abs

Fri: Squats, Abs

Sat: Cardio

Sun: Rest

I might eat like a 13yo girl, but at least I don't get schooled by 13yo boys. I'm gonna be benching more than you very soon!

I really feel like I have no choice but to give you shit while I can. It's what mates do! :pfft:

ok - thread can go back to being serious now.

Mate dont be impatient and rush back into it! I know how hard it is. I did my rotator cuff 2years ago.. got impatient after 2 weeks started training it again and it never got back to 100%. Kept training always with a bit of pain then not long ago i redid the same injury worse than before. Couldnt even shoulder press 2kg with my right arm. Get decent advice, sport physicians etc. Do what they say, take it slow and fix it right. Fuked shoulders are the worst!! cant do bugger all except legs and abs. Hurts for everything. Extremely unmotivating!

Good luck bud

Mate dont be impatient and rush back into it! I know how hard it is. I did my rotator cuff 2years ago.. got impatient after 2 weeks started training it again and it never got back to 100%. Kept training always with a bit of pain then not long ago i redid the same injury worse than before. Couldnt even shoulder press 2kg with my right arm. Get decent advice, sport physicians etc. Do what they say, take it slow and fix it right. Fuked shoulders are the worst!! cant do bugger all except legs and abs. Hurts for everything. Extremely unmotivating!

Good luck bud

Word, I screwed up my rotator cuff and ac joint 4years ago lol couldnt do shit for 3 years.. Like Yeah Buddy said, be patient- don't rush into it, I competed in a judo comp while it was fucked and the recovery process was dragged out longer coz I fucked it even more. Point is be sensible, a good physio will set you straight- depending on how bad it is you might be up for a cortisone?

I have injured my left shoulder twice as well. AC Joint and Ligament strains

Although they were not dislocated. I was told not to go back to heavy weights for 6 weeks. I did begin doing light bench (about 60-80 kilos) and keeping a small range of motion. This is probably more suitable for me as it wasn't as severe as yours.

Rotator cuff exercises were recommended to be both times - By separate physios. I would avoid free weights on ur shoulders. i.e dumbbell incline press. dumbbell shoulder press. A couple others I personally avoid are dumbbell flys and overhead dumbbell raise. - Just watching people do these exercises makes me feel uneasy. Also couldn't squats be dodgy as you've got the anterior of your shoulder quite open.

My friend had shoulder dislocations often - Has now had surgery on both his shoulders, one shoulder was dislocating at the front and the other at the back. Hes still wearing a sling for his left arm this summer. If it happens again for you this might be the answer I'm afraid.

Thats gonna be me for while - car accident and whiplash in shoulder....get legs and core will get double helpings for while!

Thats gonna be me for while - car accident and whiplash in shoulder....get legs and core will get double helpings for while!

Katie, that was me, and it wasn't diagnosed properly :roll: . My osteo (who I went to 4 years after the accident) told me why my shoulder and thoracic spine were stuffed.. Long story, 6 years down the track still poses a problem. So yeah, take it easy and do your rehab :)

Katie, that was me, and it wasn't diagnosed properly :roll: . My osteo (who I went to 4 years after the accident) told me why my shoulder and thoracic spine were stuffed.. Long story, 6 years down the track still poses a problem. So yeah, take it easy and do your rehab :)

Yup I'm really pissed off.....arm has been aching ALL day, have to take day off work, training will a set-back - like I said core, legs and cardio - hopefully physio monday will tell me how much if any real damage there is.

Keep icing it till you see the physio hun. Don't put any heat on it yet. If the physio can't help much, go see an osteo. They are fantastic.

Physio today, it ok but need to put heat pack on it. And no upper body for couple weeks, nooooo!!!!!!! But I do have to legs and a core so can work them double-time instead ;)