Like A Fat Kid Chasing A Donut

Sportsgirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, from now up until the meet first weekend of May I am switching to a different training program from what I have been doing. It is apparently Bulgarian influenced and it seems right up my alley as it involves mostly singles (Yayyy!!)

So here is the gist of the program. I have decided I will be training on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. On Sunday and Friday I will work up to a heavy single on both the bench press and squat. After hitting that heavy single, I will drop the weight back about 10% and then continue on with doubles for that exercise. At this stage I've set myself a time limit of 10 minutes on the back off sets, so basically I will complete as many sets of doubles as I can (without making it a race of course) for 10 minutes. I will also be alternating between bench and squats from the get go.

On Tuesday I'll do lighter squats and the normal bench workout as above, but I'll also deadlift. The deadlift will be 10 singles with a challenging weight.

Sounds very simple to me which is good and I remember doing something similar in the past with my deadlift and did very well on it.

Soccer season has started again so I'm going to be going to practice on Wednesday night. I'm not sure if I am going to play this year (I probably will though) but I am definitely not going to be playing on Sunday while I am training for this meet. I don't want to risk injury; last year I screwed up my hamstring for about a month and it probably was about 2 months before it was completely right. I would be disappointed if I injured myself and wasn't able to do the meet. One thing at a time!

Training Today:

Bench Press

20kg x 10

40kg x 5

50kg x 3

60kg x 2

70kg x 1

72.5kg x 1

75kg x 1

77.5kg x 1

80kg x 1

82.5kg x 1 difficulty 4/5

70kg x 2, 4 sets

Squats

40kg x 5

60kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 2

90kg x 1

95kg x 1

100kg x 1

105kg x 1 difficulty 4/5

90kg x 2, 4 sets

Pullups

Bodyweight x 5, 3 sets

Hammer Strength Row

35kg aside

2 x 10

Comments: This workout had me puffing like a fat kid from start to finish. I actually didn't really wait in between sets of bench and squat at all. I just ambled over from the bench to the squat rack, changed weights, squatted, ambled over to the bench, changed weights, benched, made a note in my notebook...rinse and repeat. It was quite nice as I got through it pretty fast. One phenomenon I have noticed which I think is weird is that my benching never seems to feel hard. Squatting feels HARD. I feel like my quads are burning but benching feels easy and then it just seems suddenly I can't bench much anymore. For example, my 80kg x 1 set was pretty smooth. I put it up 2.5kg to 82.5kg and then suddenly I'm grinding a little through the midpoint. However, with squats my quads are burning from 90kg and I'm hating 95kg, 100kg and 105kg. Perhaps it is psychological? I don't know. Has anyone else noticed something similar with their training? Perhaps it might be the opposite for you! I hated pullups less today, they felt pretty easy; perhaps cos I'm less fat now. Yay for abs!

Oh my gosh, with those weights you're putting some grown men to shame! :shock:

With the whole hating thing, it's probably psychological. Do you feel great after doing it though? Sometimes I ask myself why I put that extra plate on but after I feel pretty proud

Nicely done D :nod:

Which weight class do you think you'll be in? either way I think you'll be back to your best or better by then. I'll have the 3 girls competing then too...will be good to catch up if we dont before then :D

Most probably in the fat class (the 84kg?) I'm around 76kg at the moment and I'm thinking under 72kg might be too light for me, but I'll see. Last time I was 71kg I was about 6 weeks out from a physique competition :D

Nicely done D :nod:

Which weight class do you think you'll be in? either way I think you'll be back to your best or better by then. I'll have the 3 girls competing then too...will be good to catch up if we dont before then :D

Most probably in the fat class (the 84kg?) I'm around 76kg at the moment and I'm thinking under 72kg might be too light for me, but I'll see. Last time I was 71kg I was about 6 weeks out from a physique competition :D

yeah its under 72kg or under 84kg for you

Bench Press

20kg x 10

40kg x 5

50kg x 3

60kg x 2

70kg x 1

72.5kg x 1

75kg x 1

77.5kg x 1

80kg x 1

82.5kg x 1

difficulty 3/5

all sets paused reps ( 2 seconds on chest)

Squats

40kg x 10

60kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 2

90kg x 1

(approx 85% of last rep on Sunday)

Deadlift

60kg x 10

80kg x 5

100kg x 3

120kg x 1

130kg x 1, 10 sets

60 seconds rest between sets of 130kg

difficulty 3/5

Comments: Although I got up to the same weight as my last workout for benching, it did feel much easier and I made sure to pause the rep on my chest (last time I didn't). I was a ditz and forgot my backoff sets. I was so intent on finishing my benching so I could get to my deadlifts that I totally forgot about it. I think it was because I wasn't doing backoff sets for the squat like my last workout. I was pleased that deadlifts didn't feel so hard. I was expecting only to do my sets with the 120kg weight, but I thought I'd push myself a little. Matt tells me that a difficulty of 3/5 is right about at the low end of what I should be pushing for, so I probably should have been doing around 135-140kg. This is the first workout I have enjoyed in a long time, so I am really pleased. It's nice to be enjoying the gym again!

Hey guys, thanks for all the encouraging messages. I will make you proud! :D

I went to soccer practice tonight. Gosh, if I ever felt like a fat kid, I sure did at practice. I haven't ran for a while and soccer is so stop and start you get a good interval workout. It was nice to see all the girls again and some new faces. I'm excited because one of my old friends is going to be playing again! I'm planning on attending all the practices but I'm going to give the games a miss until after the meet in May. I can't risk hurting myself. I always manage to bugger something up each season :lol:

Last two training sessions

Sunday 20th march

Bench Press

20kg x 8

40kg x 5

50kg x 3

60kg x 2

70kg x 1

75kg x 1

77.5kg x 1

80kg x 1, difficulty 4/5

70kg x 2, 4 sets

all sets paused on chest for 2 seconds

Squats

40kg x 8

60kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 2

90kg x 1

100kg x 1

105kg x 1 (belt) difficulty 3.5/5

90kg x 2, 4 sets

Hammer Strength Row

35kg aside

3 x 10

Comments: I was tired today, really tired. I'm a little worried that 100kg feels so hard on my squat. I used to be able to rep this without too much trouble. The new setup is feeling better but I'll have to practice it more so it feels natural.

Today, Tuesday 22nd

Bench Press

20kg x 10

40kg x 5

50kg x 3

60kg x 3

70kg x 1

75kg x 1

80kg x 1

82.5kg x 1, difficulty 4.5/5

70kg x 2, 6 sets (10 minute time limit)

2 second pause on chest

Squat

40kg x 8

60kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 2

90kg x 1

100kg x 1

105kg x 1

110kg x 1, difficulty 3.5/5

Deadlifts

60kg x 8

80kg x 5

100kg x 3

120kg x 1

130kg x 1

140kg x 1, 6 sets

difficulty 4/5

sets 1-4, 60 seconds rest

sets 5-6, 120 seconds rest

Back Extensions

1 set of 30 reps

Comments: Pretty happy with this workout today. Squatting went pretty smoothly and I managed to increase my best weight by 5kg, up to 110kg. I was hoping to get 85kg for my bench, but I just wasn't in the groove. My movement pattern got screwed up in the heavier lifts. The backoff sets felt great and actually pretty easy. Deadlifts felt HARD. I think aiming for 60 seconds rest between sets was a little bit too short, as they felt much better when I doubled it to 120 seconds. I was supposed to do 10 reps, but Matt said to cut it to 6. I may be lowering the weight next week. I finished off with some back extensions as my lower back has been feeling kinda sore; it felt better afterward.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update about my weights.

Squatting is going awesome at the moment; I squatted 130kg x 1 last night thanks to magic belt. Missed 135kg (my previous best) cos I fucked up my movement pattern.

Bench press has not improved since I started this program. I screwed up my back a couple weeks ago and had to change my set up. I'm still on 82.5kg as my highest in this program yet.

Deadlifting is going; not much to say about that. I'm only doing it once a week.

Quick update about my weights.

Squatting is going awesome at the moment; I squatted 130kg x 1 last night thanks to magic belt. Missed 135kg (my previous best) cos I fucked up my movement pattern.

strong squat :nod: hell just to unrack the weight is massive.

know what you mean about stuffing the movement pattern I did that last week in a couple of sets and it unnerves you a bit.

Bench press has not improved since I started this program. I screwed up my back a couple weeks ago and had to change my set up. I'm still on 82.5kg as my highest in this program yet.

Even if it hasn't improved D you have got a really powerful raw bench...and there's still 3 weeks till comp. You'll smash it.