Like A Fat Kid Chasing A Donut

Sportsgirl

Yep, that's what I felt like last night during my workout. Pathetic. I hadn't trained for almost 6 weeks, nor did anything remotely active. Last year was a shitty year for me in terms of strength gains and reaching goals. I battled with motivation and probably made it to the gym about 1/3 - 1/2 of what I actually should have gone. Part of it was because I played soccer and found it a little difficult to juggle that and strength training, but it was mostly because I was lazy and had zilch motivation.

I am determined to make this year awesome.

First goal is to trim down some and compete in the Auckland powerlifting competition in May. I'm pissed about the change in weight classes because I DO NOT want to be in the 85kg weight class. I am actually going to try and aim for the 72kg weight class, whether I will get there I do not know because under 72kg is pretty lean for me. Nevertheless I do want to lose some weight because I am feeling a bit uncomfortable at this size and want to get a little smaller for my own personal satisfaction. Last powerlifting competition I did I was 74.5kg.

I'm lucky enough to have my own strength coach at home so I don't have to worry about making my own programs or worry that I'm doing the wrong thing. Having said that, I usually do sort out my own thing if I'm not training for something in particular.

This is what my training schedule is like at the moment. Only two days a week in the gym

Day One

Bench Press 5x5

Squat 5x5

Back Work (chins/rows) 4-5 sets

Glute Ham Raises 4-5 sets

Day Two

Bench Press 3 x 3 (using 75% of weight from Day One)

Deadlift 3 x 3

Dumbell Bench 3-5 x 10

Ab work (heavy 6-8 reps)

I had my first day yesterday and this is what I did:

Bench Press

warmup 20kg x 10, 40 x 8, 50 x 3

60kg 5 x 5

Squat

warmup 40kg x 8, 60 x 5, 70 x 3

80kg 5 x 5

Pullups

BW x 8, 6, 6

Glute Ham Raises

3 x 10

Bench press felt about right, but I think I went too heavy on the squats. After a break in training, squats always take me ages to build up again for some reason. It is weird. Once I get going it's fine but the initial few weeks are HARD. I am in pain today, mainly in my quads.

Today I went for a 40 minute brisk walk around the block. Was good to get out and about.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome to see you back into it SG. If you feel like coming up to CBC to train any time just let us know. There's a few of us girls have just started training for the May comp and another for March novice comp. We usually train evenings Mon,Tues, Thur,Friday. I think the new weight classes will affect a lot of lifters both guys and girls. Uhh you weights are looking good for not training for 6 weeks :shock:

lolololol at the donut title :lol:

great to see you back into it Diana :clap: Im sure you'll give the lot em a run for their money mate :nod:

Like Rach says ...anytime you and "the coach" wanna come up for a catch up/smash some tin round the place you know you're more than welcome!

Im trying to talk "the coach" off "the couch" and into coming fishing with some of the boys for the day...give the bugger a nudge for us mate would ya :pfft:

Looking forward to your progress and seeing you back on the platform.....and close to/more than that 400 total :nod:

Solid start SG, impressive weights :shock:

What sort of numbers are you aiming for come comp time?

Hmmm.

The last competition I did was BBro 2009 and I managed:

Bench 82.5kg

Squat 132.5kg

Deadlift 185kg

I think I will aim for

Bench 90-95kg. (My ultimate goal is to bench 100kg!)

Squat 140kg

Deadlift 195kg

I lift raw also, just use a belt.

lolololol at the donut title :lol:

great to see you back into it Diana :clap: Im sure you'll give the lot em a run for their money mate :nod:

Like Rach says ...anytime you and "the coach" wanna come up for a catch up/smash some tin round the place you know you're more than welcome!

Im trying to talk "the coach" off "the couch" and into coming fishing with some of the boys for the day...give the bugger a nudge for us mate would ya :pfft:

Looking forward to your progress and seeing you back on the platform.....and close to/more than that 400 total :nod:

Thanks D, appreciate it.

Definitely more than 400 :pray: cos I already have a 400 total.

Awesome to see you back into it SG. If you feel like coming up to CBC to train any time just let us know. There's a few of us girls have just started training for the May comp and another for March novice comp. We usually train evenings Mon,Tues, Thur,Friday. I think the new weight classes will affect a lot of lifters both guys and girls. Uhh you weights are looking good for not training for 6 weeks :shock:

Thanks Rach! You are a competition machine!

Weights need to be waay higher. I am so used to doing 5-3-1 that doing 25 total reps puffed me out. It was terrible.

Thanks Rach! You are a competition machine!

:lol: Well you know who to blame for that one aye...Pman said to me last year in May "So when are you gonna compete" my answer was "Oh may be one day" his response "Well you never will then... you need to set a date and just go for it." And the rest is history. Got the bug now and have realised that I am just a little bit competitive :shock:

You've got a fair amount of training time to get in before May so I think you'll be surprised how soon your condition and strength increases by then :nod: And having your own strength coach is icing on the cake so to speak :lol:

Fell asleep before I got to post my training yesterday

Bench Press

warmup 20kg x 10, 40 x 6, 50 x 3

60kg 3x3 at least one second pause on chest for each rep

Deadlift

warmup 60kg x 10, 80kg x 5, 100kg x 3

120kg 3 x 3

Matt told me to pick a weight that was easy. I thought I chose easy but it was f'n hard!!! Gah!

DB Bench Press

20kg x 10

22kg x 10

20kg x 10

this was harder than I thought. I'm sure I used to do 30-35kg dumbells for this!

Weighted decline crunches

14kg dumbell

3 x 8

Cardio: watched a guy and girl running on the treadmill :pfft:

j/k... I actually got up early (yay me!) and went for a brisk walk. Took about 45mins

Bench Press

60kg 5 x 5

Squat

warmup 20kg x 10, 40 x 8, 60 x 5, 70 x 3

80kg 5 x 5

Pullups

BW x 6, 6, 6

Pendlay Row

60kg 2 x 6

Glute Ham Raises

4 x 10

Better workout this week. I decided to keep the weights the same since it felt quite hard last week. This week, a lot easier for sure but I am definitely going to have to get used to the fatigue of doing more than 10-15 total reps :lol: I even managed to complete all the exercises and sets for my assistance exercises.

TONIGHT

Conditioning Workout, 60 minutes

Tyre Flips

25 flips, 5 sets, 60 seconds rest between sets

average time about 90 seconds. Went hard out on my 4th and 5th set and cut off 10 and 20 seconds respectively! Awesome!

*rested about 3 minutes*

Sled Drag

20kg

25-30 seconds, 60 seconds rest between sets

without rest straight into 5 minute jog, then slowed down to walk for 5 minutes

Log Clean & Press

40kg

5 reps, 5 sets with 60 seconds rest between sets

without rest straight into 5 minute jog then 3 1/2 minute walk

4 sets, without rest:

25 walking lunges

20 basic crunches

10 pushups

Walk 3-4 minutes cool down.

ROOTED! Tried to keep moving with fillers such as jogging and walking, only rest I had was between the tyre flips and the rest of the workout. Although it was difficult I enjoyed myself and felt less like a fat kid.

I read some of this stuff with envy... I think I will drag a big truck tyre into my gym and see how long before they kick me out, maybe a sledgehammer and even better a log! I guess that's what I get for training at a fitness first....the bloody dumbells only go up to 50k.

You really have an awesome work rate, pretty sure the only cardio response I would get from this is a heart attack!

Nothing exciting today for my workout, just a repeat of last weeks weights because they felt challenging.

Bench Press

warmup 20kg x 10, 40 x 8, 50 x 5

60kg, 3 x 3, pause on chest until bar totally stationary

felt better than last week, almost easy!

Deadlift

warmup 60kg x 10, 80 x 5, 100 x 3

120kg, 3 x 3

definitely felt better than last week!

DB Bench Press

20kgs, 3 x 10

Weighted Decline Crunches

14kg, 4 x 8

I'm actually pretty sore right now, that conditioning workout really did a number on me. I got up early yesterday to go for a brisk walk before work and also this morning; both about 40-45 minutes each. I will try and get up tomorrow also, if it's not raining!

Tuesday 25th January

Bench Press

62.5kg 5 x 5

on the last rep of each set, I paused the bar on my chest until stationary

difficulty 2.5/5

Squat

warmup 20kg x 10, 40 x 8, 60 x 5, 70 x 3

82.5kg 5 x 5

difficulty 3.5/5

these are still feeling harder than the benching! Hope these come around soon.

Pullups

BW x 6, 6, 6

Pendlay Row

55kg 3 x 8

Glute Ham Raises

4 x 10

I probably need to start adding weight to these as they really are a breeze to do.

Wednesday 26th January

CONDITIONING WORKOUT, 1 hour

Tyre Flips

25 flips, 5 sets, 60 seconds rest between sets, times below

1st set 1:13

2nd set 1:16

3rd set 1:12

4th set 1:16

5th set 1:10

walking 5 minutes

Sled Drag

20kg

sprinting 25-30 seconds, 60 seconds rest between sets

I nearly puked while resting between sets. Some joker/s have stunk out the straps with their stinky B.O. I was already feeling nauseous from the hard out effort, I do not need to smell foul B.O too.

without rest straight into 5 minute jog, then slowed down to walk for 5 minutes

Log Clean and Press

40kg

5 reps, 5 sets with 60 seconds rest between sets

without rest straight into 5 minute jump rope

4 sets, without rest:

25 walking lunges

20 basic crunches

10 pushups

Walking 5 minutes cooldown.

Did not feel much better than last week! I mentally collapsed after the sets of lunges, crunches and pushups as in I imagined myself collapsing in a heap, but instead I got up and started walking to cool down. I spent about the next 30 minutes walking around like a zombie. Pretty pleased with myself though as this is a pretty hard workout.

Bwahaha, you and me both chick.

I nearly puked while resting between sets. Some joker/s have stunk out the straps with their stinky B.O. I was already feeling nauseous from the hard out effort, I do not need to smell foul B.O too.

26326e49.gif

Holy crap.. Thats a lot of work to squeeze in for 1 hour. Impressive stuff :nod: How heavy was the tyre?