CityFitness Thorndon ?

teamfatboy

Not sure what's going on with CityFitness Thorndon....

First, they rip up the stretching area up against the windows in favour of building a room for hot yoga, and move group fitness to the back of the building in what is, I'm sure, a much smaller room than the old open-plan area.

Then, the PT's are leaving in droves. I know of three, maybe four, who've quit in the last fortnight.

Now the goss is that some of the the more body-builder-appropriate gear is going, starting with the "heavy dumbbells"... I've not seen this but can imagine that someone might regard it as a PITA that the pairs of 55s, 60s and 65s, which just lie up against the wall when not in use, "make the place look untidy" but seriously?

It's almost like they're trying to move bodybuilders out of the place, even the ones who don't grunt (thanks for that, TSB :grin: )

But, is that what others are hearing?

If it really wasn't so convenient (about 500m from my work), I think I'd be scoping alternatives.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with ya on this one TFB, not impressed with the direction it sounds like it's going in :(

I actually haven't heard any goss as I don't really talk to many people there :pfft: But all I've noticed is the summer crowd coming in, the same time they're tearing up the gym, so it's kinda like a double whammy!

The big DBs going are a pain in the arse too :shock: I could say the same thing about the fitness tiles/bosu thing that seems to be constantly left in the power rack being in the way :?

If it really wasn't so convenient (about 500m from my work), I think I'd be scoping alternatives.

I'm putting some wheels in motion to move despite this - I work a similar distance away. Looking at the House, just need to sell the membership (have a year and a bit remaining on my contract) :nod: My boss lets me start early to have a two hour lunch for my workouts, I'm sure she'll be sweet with me not taking a lunch break and just leaving earlier to get up town. Good slow cardio warmup too with the 30-40mins ish walk! ;)

I have heard those rumours about heavy weights and bodybuilders not being welcome. Have heard they think the holes in the floor are caused by bodybuilders dropping the weights.

Funny how they dismantled the leg press machine and then put it back together again in the same shape as it was before,sticking badly.

I know most of the trainers have left because of a change in their payments to City Fitness.

Will be interesting to see if they do get rid of the heavy weights as this will send a message to us outcasts. Of course it is only a rumour at the moment.

Not trying to be a Bush Lawyer here but if they get rid of certain ammenities and facilities which were present when you joined then you would have a case for terminating your contract without having to sell your membership. Maybe this is why they are not being openly forthcoming about their changes.

It would be disapointing if they were trying to change their clientelle through the removal of certain equipment though. I`ve found theres probably more knowledgable bodybuilders at this gym than any other in the Wellington area. Additionally they tend to assist and attract many other members through their experience.

Not trying to be a Bush Lawyer here but if they get rid of certain ammenities and facilities which were present when you joined then you would have a case for terminating your contract without having to sell your membership.

^ This. If they ditch the 55+ DB's i'll be leaving, and i'll be citing the removal of essential equipment that was available when i signed up as my reason for early contract termination.

Anyone know of other Wellington gyms that can provide decent equipment, including heavy dumbbells? I tried a 1 week trial at exodus like 2 years ago but i cant recall if their dumbbells went heavy or not?

Funny how they dismantled the leg press machine and then put it back together again in the same shape as it was before,sticking badly
i'll be leaving, and i'll be citing the removal of essential equipment that was available when i signed up as my reason for early contract termination.

You two go to Thorndon Cfit as well? :shock: Didn't know that!...

Not trying to be a Bush Lawyer here but if they get rid of certain ammenities and facilities which were present when you joined then you would have a case for terminating your contract without having to sell your membership.

^ This. If they ditch the 55+ DB's i'll be leaving, and i'll be citing the removal of essential equipment that was available when i signed up as my reason for early contract termination.

I actually had this thought when I heard the direction the renovations were heading in, wondered if I could say "This isn't what I signed up for" and get out of the contract :think:

It may not come to that for me, though, as I mentioned wanting to leave to a friend, and she said she was keen to join (the way they're heading would suit her - hot yoga etc)... so she offered to buy mine. Would cost me 1/2 a transfer fee, but I remember that being $75 back in the day so it isn't too bad (unless it's changed?).

Anyone know of other Wellington gyms that can provide decent equipment, including heavy dumbbells?

Powehouse ;)

As for Exodus, I thought that was ok, but their free weights area reminds me of Cityfitness, and if I'm heading up that end of town for a gym, I'd much rather go to Powerhouse :nod: I can't remember Exodus' DBs tbh, but Vampire Chick goes there so may be able to fill you in :)

You guys should all jump ship to Les Mills!

One shinyland for another? :-s :poked: Nah, will go Powerhouse if I jump ship :grin: :grin:

It would be disapointing if they were trying to change their clientelle through the removal of certain equipment though. I`ve found theres probably more knowledgable bodybuilders at this gym than any other in the Wellington area. Additionally they tend to assist and attract many other members through their experience.

This would be the one thing I miss if/when I leave, guys like Philly Nuku and Supry Sos are always more than happy to offer advice :nod:

From what I make of it City Fitness Thorndon is trying to lose members and I dont blame you guys for looking other gyms in Wellington to join up.I emailed City Fitnesss Thorndon to ask about to see if they have any maintenance jobs available which I was last mouth and I have not heard anything back from them.I am with Peter Dolan jump ship and come to Les Mills instead.

Drizz, yeah it isn't as hardcore but the DB's are heavy enough and will be close for people than powerhouse if it's they're after covenience. Wouldn't mind travelling in for a legs session at the house!

Yeah for sure, if Powerhouse wasn't around I'd probably look at jumping ship to Exodus/Les Mills :nod: Need to stop getting ahead of myself though, and start looking at how best to get out of this Cfit membership first :think:

You should get in contact with OB and see about setting up a legs session :)

Phily is leaving CF

Oh really? :( Stink, but yet another reason to depart I guess! Where's he off to do you know?

Exodus has pros and cons.... great cardio franchise, Radical from Argentina, which City Fitness Johnsonville used to have but dumped when the new owners took over.

But, they dont have a lot of free plates, I know VC reports same as me, you have to go round them up when its heavy leg day, and their dumbbells stop well short of 55s.

They do have nice changing rooms, but for me, their high prices put me off as much as the lack of equipment.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Seems like Exodus is off the cards too :? Might end up joining powerhouse since they seem to be the only place in Wellington who can cater to lifters.

Not gunna make any hasty decisions though, i'll wait to see exactly what transpires at CF :?

I can't say I've heard any goss, but I did overhear a couple of staffmembers talking in the changing room about how some of the PTs were complaining about the works currently going on, and that they should stop their moaning and suck it up since they only pay rent to be at CF. I thought that was exceptionally unprofessional to be talking about that where people like me can hear every word.

No chance of a change for me - the price and convenience of having CF Thorndon when working and J'ville when at home is just too compelling. I have tried LM next door to work and hated it - way too small and have to go at odd hours to get on equipment, and have to travel too far for weekend training. Lucky for me I'm a not very muscly girl and have no need for 55kg dumbells :pfft:

Lucky for me I'm a not very muscly girl and have no need for 55kg dumbells :pfft:

Yet.....

But yes, internal grizzling ain't for the paying public.

Fm what I heard, there's a change in the way PTs work - I didn't gather the details but apparently some could pay a percentage, rather than a flat rent, or something. That's not so much my concern as the consequences, if they drive all the good PT's out.

Cheers for that PD... seems that more of the experienced PT's are leaving though, which can't be a good thing.

Might have to stash a pushbike at the office and head to the House in my lunch-times....

So what does that mean? Philly and co will leave or have they already ditched?

Phily has handed in his notice already

Not suprised. You can bet a lot of people will leave now, having that type of experience walk out the door will be the TURNING POINT where it will come back to bite Shitty Fitness in the arse BIGTIME!

Haha it really wont unfortunately

No it probably won't. There might be a small minority who move on, but most won't find the changes enough of a pain to move on, given that there aren't any better options around (well, that's my situation anyway). They want more money coming in, and hot yoga is the latest thing, so as a business you can't really blame them wanting in on the action.

I certainly wouldn't leave only to go to a more expensive and less convenient gym, which is the likely reality. Even a cheaper and less convenient gym - I already need over an hour to do a minimal session at lunchtimes, so I can't see that moving to a gym further away would do me much good, even it it had all the equipment. Though I can see how it would make sense for the big boys if the big weights are taken away.

Phily has handed in his notice already

Not suprised. You can bet a lot of people will leave now, having that type of experience walk out the door will be the TURNING POINT where it will come back to bite Shitty Fitness in the arse BIGTIME!

Time will tell.

Time will tell.

They make too much money off the employed trainers they're churning out of their academy (about 3g's for the study + 55% of $ made until the do a certain amount of hours then 46%, 37%, 28% (not 100% sure on the last couple of percentages))