When should you start ab training??

anaru

Currently set a goal to get down to 8% bodyfat by the end of this year. I am currently sitting at 92.2kgs with 12.38% bodyfat. My diet is clean with 2500 calories a day.

My question is what bodyfat % should i start to train my abs. I heard if you do them with a high bodyfat theyll protrude??

If you're doing squats and deadlifts etc, basically any lift where you have to keep a lot of weight stable you'll be working your abs. However I also think you should train them specifically once a week or so, but don't just train abs, train the entire 'core' which includes lower back and obliques etc as well.

If you're doing squats and deadlifts etc, basically any lift where you have to keep a lot of weight stable you'll be working your abs. However I also think you should train them specifically once a week or so, but don't just train abs, train the entire 'core' which includes lower back and obliques etc as well.

what if you want to keep your waist size down?

Thanks Phedder for the advice, so I should be fine doing them at my current bodyfat percent?

You should be fine doing them at any body fat level, they're just another group of muscles.

Jigga I don't really know or care too much about that, as long as the girth is made up of muscle and not tonnes of fat. I don't think it's very easy to get huge obliques, it's just that so many people focus on nothing but Rectus Abdominus to get the 6 pack and neglect everything else that it leads to imbalances.

i dont care what anyone says about deadlifts, squats etc. if you want to get RIPPED abs then you need to isolate them and you need to do it regularly. you may aswell start now so that by the time your fat% is low enough they would have started to take shape.

I attained a fair set of abs last year with no ab isolation movements :shrug: I'm not trying to suggest that no isolation movements is the right way of doing things, but it isn't impossible to develop a "ripped" set of abs this way.

I would (and do) do it differently now, though, to maintain an overall stronger core - and in hindsight, I wish I had done it last year as it caused me some injury troubles early this year.

I 3rd Nate's post 8)

Frequency depends on volume and intensity. You can train them every day if you keep the volume and intensity low. If you want to train them less often then destroy them in a session or two a week. You will get a feel for how much volume and frequency you specifically can handle through trial and error.

In terms of the best ab exercises everyone has their own preferences. I like tearing them apart on a hyperextension set up.

Frequency depends on volume and intensity. You can train them every day if you keep the volume and intensity low. If you want to train them less often then destroy them in a session or two a week. You will get a feel for how much volume and frequency you specifically can handle through trial and error.

In terms of the best ab exercises everyone has their own preferences. I like tearing them apart on a hyperextension set up.

perfect explanation. do what works best for you. and dont forget, change it up every once in a while!

yes fair enough but if you want a gut like a fitness model, your going to have to spend a lot of time on your abs, even if you are genetically gifted.

this sorry is bullshit I know many of guys who never do isolated ab work and are ripped if you are 5%bf you will have abs the only thing that hides your abs is fat and water if you lift heavy weights your abs get worked try doing chinups without contracting your abs crunches and all that other shit will f*ck your lower back if you dont know what your doing

abs crunches and all that other shit will f*ck your lower back if you dont know what your doing

i don't train abs directly, what sort of direct work out there that has low pressure on your back?

any form of a crunch if done incorrectly will wreck your back if the core isnt strong enough the load will be shifted to your lower back

abs crunches and all that other shit will f*ck your lower back if you dont know what your doing

i don't train abs directly, what sort of direct work out there that has low pressure on your back?

any form of a crunch if done incorrectly will wreck your back if the core isnt strong enough the load will be shifted to your lower back

What would you suggest MrBig??

yes fair enough but if you want a gut like a fitness model, your going to have to spend a lot of time on your abs, even if you are genetically gifted.

this sorry is bullshit I know many of guys who never do isolated ab work and are ripped if you are 5%bf you will have abs the only thing that hides your abs is fat and water if you lift heavy weights your abs get worked try doing chinups without contracting your abs crunches and all that other shit will f*ck your lower back if you dont know what your doing

BRO. its extremely obvious that fitness models have the best abs in the world, as its their main feature. now you look at Obi Obidaki who won this years WBFF, he says to train abs every second day. Artus Shakur, came 3rd, says to train abs 5 days a week. Rob Riches, ex WBFF champion, says to do them 3 tmes a week atleast. David Kimmerelle, same thing. if your going to argue with these guys well then your call. if you get low body fat and never work your abs your gonna see abs but their gonna be bitch abs. you have to work them for them to grow, just like any other muscle.

for abs squats,deadlifts, heavy weighted chinups, doing dumbell presses unilaterally heavy lunges basically any compound exercise will require engaging the entire abdominal group when correct form is used think of it like taking a dump that is called abdominal compression and it is one of the main functions of your abs so when you perform exercises remember to contract your abs to keep your entire body stable

When it comes to getting visible abs stop eating shit and do some cardio to burn off bodyfat

BRO. its extremely obvious that fitness models have the best abs in the world, as its their main feature. now you look at Obi Obidaki who won this years WBFF, he says to train abs every second day. Artus Shakur, came 3rd, says to train abs 5 days a week. Rob Riches, ex WBFF champion, says to do them 3 tmes a week atleast. David Kimmerelle, same thing. if your going to argue with these guys well then your call. if you get low body fat and never work your abs your gonna see abs but their gonna be bitch abs. you have to work them for them to grow, just like any other muscle.

it is also extremely obvious these guys do heavy weight training which works the abs if you have low bodyfat and weight train you will have great abs do a squat and relax your abs you will crumble under the bar do a deadlift and you will wreck your lower back

if you wanna do iso exercises for your abs thats up to you but a heavy compound lift will work your abs alot harder than a crunch

if you get low body fat and never work your abs your gonna see abs but their gonna be bitch abs.

So the abs I got last year were bitch abs? :cry:

you have to work them for them to grow, just like any other muscle.

Not having a go - I'm genuinely curious - but you say they're just like any other muscle... do you work all of your other muscles as often as abs - 2-5x per week like the guys you listed suggest?

if you get low body fat and never work your abs your gonna see abs but their gonna be bitch abs.

So the abs I got last year were bitch abs? :cry:

you have to work them for them to grow, just like any other muscle.

Not having a go - I'm genuinely curious - but you say they're just like any other muscle... do you work all of your other muscles as often as abs - 2-5x per week like the guys you listed suggest?

no because their a muscle but they react differently