Lifetime ban for cannabis

nate225

After two previous fails you can't say he wasn't warned or didn't have an opportunity to change his ways given the rules state no cannabinoids in comp testing.

HOWEVER it's a little rich to suggest this chap had any 'performance enhancement' from smoking roaches! :pfft: And the 'spirit of sport' argument doesn't hold much water here. Thats my ten cents as a non-smoker, can't wait to hear comments from the wake n bake crew on this one!

A GOLD Coast rugby league player has become the first Australian sportsman to be banned for life for cannabis use.

The Queensland Rugby League has banned Gold Coast Vikings player William Morunga from the game in any capacity, including training with teammates, competing, or acting in any support role such as coaching or managing.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority collected an in-competition sample from Morunga on June 16 after the curtain-rasier to the second State of Origin match at Lang Park.

The sample "returned an adverse analytical finding for a metabolite of cannabis".

It is the first Australian case to involve an athlete committing a third anti-doping rule violation, which under the World Anti-Doping Code usually invokes a lifetime ban.

Morunga had previously received two bans for the presence of cannabis as a member of Touch New Zealand.

His first violation, following a test on March 5, 2005 resulted in a two-month ban and his second, following a test on March 4, 2006, resulted in a two-year ban.

Morunga's ban started on September 14.

Life!? seems a bit harsh considering there would be no real benefit from smoking dope considering Arnold just made it as illegal as a parking ticket in California :lol: Still I spose like you say bro he was warned and he kept smoking it so more fool him and I guess the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority have to draw the line somewhere...3 strikes and youre a spectator buddy 8) Fair enough from my non smoker perspective

Rules are rules even if you dont agree with them.

Anybody who breaks the rules knowingly cant complain if they get caught, even if the rules are stupid.

What a dumb arse as if he would have got away with it. :doh:

I agree re: rules.

However the rules don't appear to align with the issue of anti-doping in eliminating unfair advantage by use of PED's?

Could understand when cannabis use was a safety concern (motorsports etc).

Rules are rules even if you dont agree with them.

Anybody who breaks the rules knowingly cant complain if they get caught, even if the rules are stupid.

What a dumb arse as if he would have got away with it. :doh:

I agree re: rules.

However the rules don't appear to align with the issue of anti-doping in eliminating unfair advantage by use of PED's?

Could understand when cannabis use was a safety concern (motorsports etc).

I agree. I cant see cannabis giving any advantage to an athlete apart from pain relief and helping them relax.

Dont forget its an evil weed that causes reefer madness!!!

yea agree rules are rules.

dont agree with them counting touch nz previous warnings as theres aswell.

let him play after another ban.allthough probly same result will happen after that 1.other players have done way way worse things and got to play again.

Warnings, suspensions cover all sporting organisations covered by the WADA code, i.e. get banned in Olympic Lifting & you're banned by default from Powerlifting, Rugby, Athletics etc etc. So no issues with counting his previous warnings.

I just struggle with performance impairing substances being banned by a code designed to level the playing field for 'clean' athletes by banning performance enhancing substance.

Maybe it should be banned from sports that deem themselves saftey sensitive (e.g motorsports) as is probably the case with alcohol. Both are afterall performances impairing depressants.

he should off just done what all the other pro nrl players do take drugs like ecstacy and cocaine they know when roughly they gona get tested and take it around then out off the system in a few days Andrew Johns one of the greatest ever and he done it the hole time he was playing could be an argument that those were performance enhancing as he was an awesome player a few might get caught but the other 95% dont. As for the lifetime ban goodjob three strikes how stupid do you have to be.

^^ yeh funny how the ones that don't enhance your performance take the longest to get outa the system. Ultimately tho weed was more important to him than league else he wouldve stopped after the first two warnings. Heapsa guys I know that smoke it prioritise it over the rest of their lives