Miada AUCKLANDS STRONGEST MAN 2010

nate225

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the biggest $$$ in NZ Strongman this year to date with the title of Akld's Strongest Man (HW & LW) up for grabs.

With Nickoli injured the confirmed competitors to date are:

Sam Magele

Dale Shepherd

Harley Lewis

Hayden Kumerich

$2000 to be split increasing prize pool if competitors are limited. May well be worth entering this one lads, particularly in U105's as I can only see one in that division so far! 3 pressing events so would suit a lot of guys here.

If anyone wants to discuss how to train for this one flick me a PM.

Miada Sports Nutrition & Miada Gym AUCKLAND's STRONGEST MAN 2010

Date: Sat 16 October

Venue: Miada Gym, 66 Portage Rd, Otahuhu, Auckland

Start Time: Weighin 10.00am to 12.30pm STARTS 1PM

Events:

1. Max Log Overhead - 5 attempts, 60sec time limit per attempt, same rules as NZSM

2. Max FULL Deadlift* - weight belt and chalk only permitted - hitching is permitted to finish lift however bar must start from a stationary position - 60sec time limit per lift (lift must be completed within time limit) - 5 weight attempts, failure to complete a selected weight means elimination from event, same rules apply in case of tie as per Log Lift NZSM rules.

3. Incline Bench 120kg Log for Max Reps - log handed to lifter by placing on chest, as soon as lifter says ready spotters release, time starts and lifter starts pressing to lockout with official to signal down at each lockout, each rep to touch chest, 60 sec time limit, only completed lifts are counted within time limit

4. Hercules Hold (2x117kg) Max Time, lift starts when last weight comes off ground and ends when either one hand leaves weight or first weight touches ground again, whichever is first.

5. 100kg Apollan Axle Press Max Reps Floor to Overhead anyhow, no resting bar on head, 60sec time limit

6. 360kg Tyre Flip Fastest Time for 6 Flips - 60sec time limit

7. Stones - fastest time to load 5 stones (99kg, 114kg, 124kg, 139kg and 155kg) onto 1.2m barrels/platform, 60sec time limit.

Divisions: Lightweight (U105kg) and Heavyweight (105kg+)

Prizemoney $2000+: 1st to 10th - $60, $50, $40, $35, $30, $25, $20, $15, $10, $5 in each event PLUS Overall Winner & Winner U105kg gets $250 worth of Miada Supplements & titles.

Organiser: Dale Shepherd - Miada Gym (09) 259 4093

* Partial Deadlift has been changed to FULL DEADLIFT from the floor.

so the under 105 have to do the same weights as the open guys??

Yes, the same as NZSM. Means a good 105 athlete can win the overall.

My breakdown of the events in terms of doableness:

Max Log Overhead - no probs as you select the weight (70kg lightest as empty log weighs this)

Max FULL Deadlift - no probs as you select the weight

Incline Bench 120kg Log for Max Reps - most HW's should get 5 reps+, LW's might struggle a bit

Hercules Hold (2x117kg) Max Time - no probs as you drop as soon as you can't hold

100kg Apollan Axle Press Max Reps - Top HW's will go 8-10+, most should manage 3-5. Most LW's will find this tough but I'd expect a few 3-5 reps.

360kg Tyre Flip Fastest Time for 6 Flips - haven't seen the tyre being used, but if it's like NZSM one most HW's & LW's should complete, speed will be the key

Stones - fastest time to load 5 stones (99kg, 114kg, 124kg, 139kg and 155kg) HW's - mainly be speed to load 3rd & 4th stone, top HW's will come down to loading the big boy. No LW has yet loaded the 5th, so placings will be decided by fastest time on 3rd & 4th stone. One LW could get the 155 this year.

Just edited as the Axle press will be 100kg - much more acheivable than 120kg!

Makes this a very good comp for a first time competitor wanting to test themselves and should suit those that like their pressing as well as Deadlift type movements.

Any takers keen to join Tinytraps?

Looks like someone where their strenth is their sholders picked the events, gota win somehow I guess :pfft:

There's a fair bit of back & grip strength needed there too GF (DL, Herc Hold, Tyre flip, Stones), but it does have 3 pressing events as you noticed. Should be the comp best suited to many here who focus on their pressing movements. Lets see if anyone mans up & joins Tom representing the BBing fraternity!

Happy to help you out with a training plan GF? :grin:

So i am gonna compete in this.

Awesome Tom! :clap:

will be my first one so am looking forward to it more for the fun aspect than to be competitive considering i dnt realy know what to expect.

The guys are all really supportive, kinda waht I enjoy about strength sports, so they'll help you out on the day.

Also if you get along to a few training sessions prior you'll learn a lot about technique (AUT Strongman, Miada Gym, NZSM crew, Lynfield, Netfitt etc all have training sessions & or equipment).

Nate

Not that you can predict things nate, but... could you give us and idea of what weights will win each event in each group? Ball park son.

log-140 should win this one not to sure on how sams press is now but dales hitting some good numbers maybe a shot for 150.

deadlift- 330 would beat dale who did this a week or so ago only one person I know of currently that would be able to pull more than that (and hes out injured)

apollons axle- 10+reps should see a win again I think dale or sam wil be favourite for this, and hayden kumerich as the dark horse.

Incline log- 10reps will win I think, favourite would be sam.

stones- If someone loads the 155 they will win other wise fastest to 140 stone will take it out. From memory of those competing only dale and sam have loaded the 155

tyre- anyones game here sub 25s should see the win.

herc hold- 1min+ will win, record is 1.13? (nate holds this)

I think I see Dale taking this one out and sam taking second.

Not that you can predict things nate, but... could you give us and idea of what weights will win each event in each group? Ball park son.

log-140 should win this one not to sure on how sams press is now but dales hitting some good numbers maybe a shot for 150.

Sam's very underdone at the moment but I'd expect 150+ out of him on a bad day. LW's Dale should go 130 - 140 but logs a hit or miss thing so always a bit up in the air.

Agreed 320-330 probably win it.

apollons axle- 10+reps should see a win again I think dale or sam wil be favourite for this, and hayden kumerich as the dark horse.

deadlift- 330 would beat dale who did this a week or so ago only one person I know of currently that would be able to pull more than that (and hes out injured)

Incline log- 10reps will win I think, favourite would be sam.

stones- If someone loads the 155 they will win other wise fastest to 140 stone will take it out. From memory of those competing only dale and sam have loaded the 155

tyre- anyones game here sub 25s should see the win.

herc hold- 1min+ will win, record is 1.13? (nate holds this)

I think I see Dale taking this one out and sam taking second.

log-

Sam's very underdone at the moment but I'd expect 150+ out of him on a bad day. LW's Dale should go 130 - 140 but logs a hit or miss thing so always a bit up in the air.

deadlift- Agreed 320-330 probably win it.

apollons axle- 10-12 for the win. Axle diameter & smoothness (50 mm stainless!) will be a factor.

Incline log- Sam would likely go 20 reps here when at his best. Unsure at the mo tho as haven't seen him training lately.

stones- I don't know if Sam's loaded the 155? Dale has done it but only as a HW. Fastest to 140 will probably win it but 155 could be the decider!

tyre- Haven't seen the tyre being used, couldn't comment.

herc hold- I'd see many going close to my time, its easily beatable. Both Sam & Dale are reasonable at this event on their day. One of the guys at Otahuhu comp went close, was it Viking Power?

A good big man should always beat a good little man. Sam should go in favorite but giving his committment to League until the weekend prior & the lack of SM specific training I would probably concur with you that Dale is currently the favorite to win. Will be close though.

I'm interested in the new guys and seeing how they progress. The unknown factor is always good.

I too have decided to do this comp (as a LW) as a bit of a warmup for NZSM, especially the stones and log, and i concur with Nate's comments regarding likley winning scores. sounds like Dale might not compete now, so Sam might be the clear cut fave now for overall, with i am thinking Hayden fave for the LW

I too have decided to do this comp (as a LW) as a bit of a warmup for NZSM, especially the stones and log, and i concur with Nate's comments regarding likley winning scores. sounds like Dale might not compete now, so Sam might be the clear cut fave now for overall, with i am thinking Hayden fave for the LW

As 2008 U105 NZSM you'd have to be a contender Justin! :nod:

Tom '2Guns" could be a darkhorse as well - strong lad - pressing especially - but no implement work could disadvantage him.

Update:

Big Sam's out - his team made the League finals

Nickoli's going to do events as they come (as long as not hurting his back), Dale is likewise going to do events (but as a HW) unless his rhomboid gives him too much grief.

Jono's going to compete despite only training BJJ for last few months!

Other entrants I know about are Justin Keogh, Tom McE, Hayden K, Harley, Afa ?

Looks like a good comp.

Entrants to date appear to be:

OPEN (over 105kg)

Nick Hansen

Jono McFarlane

Dale Shepherd

Harley Lewis

Tevita Ngalu

Manase Kula

Afa

Troy Marshall

UNDER 105kg

Hayden Kumerich

Thomas McInerney

Justin Keogh

Andrew Rogers

Good opportunity to have a go, especially in U105's. Any last minute entries?