Need some advice and inspiration

Realitydreamer

Hello everyone,

I have taken a big step and joined this website. I am by no means a body builder but I see a lot of value in the bodybuilders approach to fat loss and muscle gain. I am 21 and have been unhappy with my body since I was about 13. I am reasonably 'fit' (i.e. ran half marathon last year, still run 1-3 times a week, go to gym 2-3 times a week, cycle etc) and am a size 10, weigh between 60 and 62 kg, but I am 29% bodyfat (according to the laser tests that they do at the gym). Fat is mainly on hips and tummy

I really want to get strong, fit and toned, as I spend a lot of time feeling anxious about the way I look.

Where do I get specific information about diet (i.e. it's all very well to say 'protein shake' but how much protein should I be having?), and workouts. I understand that a good BB diet should be 6 meals a day. Does this include the drinks before and after workouts? Should I take any extra supplements like optygen/ caffeine stuff etc?

I could commit to 4 weights sessions a week, and 4-5 cardio sessions a week. How do I break down what I am going to focus on into each session, and is the general rule to do 8-12 in a set, and 2-3 repeats? I am currently at Bodytech where they have a full body circuit but I don't need to do that.. and I'm probably a bit sick of it anyway.

Basically, I am a bit lost, and I need some inspiration.. Also if I was to be really strict and focussed - given that I only need to lose about 5kg of fat (and probably gain the same in muscle) how long do you think until i notice a difference? I would even be prepared to post a horrible BEFORE photo of myself so that I could try and keep focussed. Looking forward to comments

Welcome... there are plenty of men and women who can share their advice with you on here... and I think you'll find their advice will help.

To answer your questions: - no an eating plan doesn't need to involve six meals a day, it's just that it's often convenient to do that to get the nutrition timing right. Timing the right mix of carbs/ protein around workouts will be important to getting you lean while capitalising on all your hard work to maintain lean muscle.

No, you don't need to eat protein shakes, it's just a convenient form of ingesting protein, better than endless chicken or tuna. But it is expensive, and really is a 'supplement' to real foods.

To lose five kg, with that amount of possible calorie expenditure, you really only need a couple of things:

a. to know your maintenance calorie load (the number of calories per day you need, on a normal day, just to maintain goal weight); and

b. an eating plan set at a modest calorie deficit (probably 300 cals or so below maintenance) and a training plan to match.

How quickly would you see results - quite quickly, but... safe, sustainable rate of loss is in the order of 500g to no more than 1kg per week. Any more than that tends to result in yo-yoing, so don't expect miracles.

Good luck

• 5 months later...

Hi RD,

Things that have worked for me are;

-see a nutritionist for advice and motivation

-cardio 3x a week, weights 3x a week, one day rest

-keep a food diary

-take a before photo and keep it in the bathroom, kitchen, next to your bed so you see it when you wake up etc.

-talk to other people with similar goals

-keep learning!

Good luck :)

• 5 months later...

Can I suggest you go to bodybuilding.com and use their find a plan option - when I was new to weights there was so much information I didnt know how to put it together so ended up in the gym for hours doing everything. After following the muscle building plan for females I got really good results in a couple of weeks - like you had just a little fat to loose and a little muscle to build. I didn't follow their diet plan, although it gives you one because I studied nutrition and could devise my own plan better than they can for me - but as an overview of what to eat its really helpful.

good luck