how to cook Oats

Ismall

Have a look at the packet. I'd be surprised if it doesn't have any cooking instructions.

The easiest way is to turn them into porridge. Add salt, and water/milk - about twice as much liquid as oats is a good starting point. If you dont get the consistency quite right the first time, just stir in more water as you go till it looks ok. Cook either on the stove (stirring regularly) or in the microwave until the oats have absorbed the liquid. If you're not cutting, add sugar or sultanas. Eat. Enjoy.

Note: Some people add eggs or egg whites to the mix for extra protein. This thickens the mixture up a bit more, so you'lll want to add extra liquid if you try this. Other people add protein powder. In my experience, it's best to let the porridge cool slightly before adding the powder, as it goes funny when cooked.

My usual breakfast is 100g of oats and 300ml of green top milk.

I use plain old oats - whatever's the best value at the time. Put it in a small pot and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and cook for a couple of minutes and add a bit of honey or dates or a banana.

I have the whey powder separately because the whey I use doesn't taste all that nice with the oats.

Man I love breakfast...

1/2 cup oats + 1 cup water into the microwave for about 1.5-2mins

Stir then add 1 or 2 scoops protein powder.

**More oats = more water needed

VOILA! All done.

Sometimes I add blueberries or substitute the water for skim milk. Sometimes I even skip the microwave altogether and just eat the oats as they are + skim milk + protein powder... its still nice.

**NOTE: Unless you've got your timing down to a T (or a really deep bowl), keep an eye on the porridge while its warming up... cleaning out the insides of a microwave covered in oats SUCKS :madman:

• 2 years later...
I dont like porriage without milk, and Im not having milk at the moment, so I just put them straight into my protein shake, then either drink them or use a spoon to eat them out, cold and raw, really isnt bad at all.

Yep, I never got used to hot breakfasts so I throw my 3/4 cup of plain old wholegrain rolled oats into a water-based single-scoop shake, let 'em stand for a bit, then chow down.

Mind you, current diet has no oats, no milk, so I actually miss them...

Dunno about some of the more fancy-schmancy oats mixes and porridges, i figure the less processed the better. Views?

oats + tuna in olive oil and garlic = top knotch :nod: :nod: :nod:

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

:toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet:

:toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet:

Readin this thread I was just waitin for someone to do some vulgar like that!!!

1/4c oats - cover with water or trim milk (use your eye-crometer), nuke for 2 min. Add 2 egg whites, nuke for 30 sec - add slenda, and ground linseed - chow down!

Readin this thread I was just waitin for someone to do some vulgar like that!!!

1/4c oats - cover with water or trim milk (use your eye-crometer), nuke for 2 min. Add 2 egg whites, nuke for 30 sec - add slenda, and ground linseed - chow down!

Too complicated oats plus powder plus milk put in fridge then eat....Easy!

• 1 month later...

:pfft: cooking the old way, put a small 1 cup of water in a pot, bring to the boil (as the cooks say) put the amount of oats you think you are going to eat into a plate put enough water in it to get it sloppy then put it into the water and trun down the heat so it' simmering should only take about 3 to 5 mins but stur it all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

The way I cook Oats is one cup of oats in water on the stove .When my oats are cooked I dump them in to my All Blacks bowl with half a tea spoon of flaxseed,one raw egg,one banana,half cup of yoguart. Washed down my one proetin shake after oats.