training + diet + menstrual cycle

vongi

Hey ladies

I also have secondary amenorrhea and am trying a few different things to get my hormones back on track. This is the result of being on Depo for four years. I stopped it in Sep 2009 and my menstrual cycle still hasn't returned (should take approx 9 months, it's now been 26 months). Currently I'm doing a liver cleanse and I'll also be trying out NHRT, as well as seeing an endocrinologist in a couple weeks.

Basically because I'm not menstruating, I've stopped ovulating which means my estrogen levels are currently low. This somewhat places me in a similar scenario as someone going through menopause. Estrogen is stored in fat cells and due to the body's state of equilibrium, it means my body will try and hold on to all the fat it can in order for estrogen to not drop any further.

I train hard, I eat perfectly, I have a PT and a nutritionist and I've been working out with my trainer now for about 8 months. I'm fit as! But still look like your everyday average girl. The first response from most would be "diet", but without a doubt it's my hormones messing up my ability to drop fat.

Please note I'm not an expert on this matter but I do have sources for this information if anyone is interested. Would be keen to hear your responses!

A lot of pms symptoms are related to diet. I know your diet is super clean and healthy, but even healthy foods can cause some irritating symptoms like bloating and mood swings. I think diet and sleep are the two most important elements. I experience a decrease in strength around my period, too, which is uber annoying. I wish I had a cure for that one.

Estrogen is stored in fat cells and due to the body's state of equilibrium, it means my body will try and hold on to all the fat it can in order for estrogen to not drop any further.

Hmm. Are you sure about that? I thought it was the other way around - that is, estrogen controls your body fat levels, and lower estrogen should make it easier not harder to lower your body fat.

Having said that, I'm no endocrinologist, and I'm even more out of my depth when it comes to ladies' PMS/menopause. It'll be interesting to hear what your endo doc has to say.

• 10 months later...

Hi all. Just a little note to add on to what everyone else has said. I was on a contraceptive for about 4 years to help reduce severe PMS and pain during my cycle. However, I was recently been diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue and my clinician thinks it could be linked to my contraceptive. Remember, messing around with hormones can do numerous other things as well.

I have copied a little bit of info from an article below:

Zinc deficiency and copper dominance help explain why viral infections may progress like wildfire in the zinc depleted person. This may prove to be fatal! It just so happens that copper is a powerful antagonist to vitamin C as well as zinc. High levels of copper are often associated with a history of a severe viral infection such as glandular fever or hepatitis, the use of a copper or oestrogen contraceptive, adrenal fatigue and/or hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism and copper dominance may deplete the body of vitamin C as well as zinc.

This kind of scenario leaves the person a sitting duck for the next round of seasonal influenza.

Just a consideration.

Be wary about Depo, I gained weight on it and have a friend who put on about 15kg+ when she went on it.

In terms of rapid weight loss and subsequent loss of period, I lost a lot of weight when I was 15-16 (I'm now 23) and didn't have periods for about 2 years. Since then it has been very irregular, sometimes I go 8-10 months without it. Its possible in my case that there is a polycystic ovary element to this, so it may be slightly different.

But anyway, I'd be careful about too much fat loss and suggest talking to a doctor about lack of periods and whether to worry about it - its certainly taken a very long time sorting itself out with me.

Inb4 non scientific but I find western medicine doesn't fully promote how menstrual cycle interacts with our general health and wellbeing.

I work with acupuncturists and TCM doctors and they basically say that a healthy period = a healthy woman and vice versa.

When training and dieting you get fatigued easily - and can basically develop RELATIVE anaemia pretty easily. in TCM this is called blood qi deficiency. It basically means you are anaemic but its relative to your normal or optimum levels and wouldn't be picked up by doctors tests necessarily as it could still be within society based "normal" levels. This means when you are menstruating and losing more blood its even more distressing to the body. Periods are also affected when you are in slight "adrenal fatigue" which can happen when you are doing lots of intense training especially circuits and cardio etc.

I find the best way of having a really healthy period is to eat lots of iron rich foods, steak/spinach etc throughout the month, and to keep away from alcohol and sugars which are draining on the kidneys and spleen and get plenty of sleep and dont overtrain - less is best.

Possibly when you know your period is near to train slightly less intensely or cut down cardio/really fatiguing training around this time, possibly make your workouts shorter. You can even go as far as to make this week a de-load week or plan it into your training or maybe avoid training altogether over the few heavy days and resume training when this has subsided.

Again this is all TCM based - Im not a Dr (yet).

Another angle could be that if you are on the pill, having your sham week can change the levels of certain vitamins etc as the pill works by disrupting absorption of certain vitamins. I wouldn't necessarily know how to combat this part from maybe incorporating more veggies and fruits over these few days and more freq multi vit use.

Or think about coming off the pill as its definitely disruptive hormonally and with the vitamin absorption especially in combination with training when you are placing heavier demands on your body (not saying people haven't done it)

Inb4 accusedofprolife

At the end of the day your body is going to be affected by what you are doing to it so if during the month you are killing yourself with cardio, Lifting weights 5/6 x a week and not getting enough iron rich foods, eating empty calories (sweetners/protein bars) in a calorie defect and drinking alcohol or not getting enough rest how can you expect your body to have a healthy period?

• 1 month later...

Hi - new here (*waves*).

I like having a natural cycle (not on any birth control), especially the extra boost that comes with ovulation - I can just about pick it to the hour, as can the men I associate with apparently! ;) The few days surrounding it are awesome - I feel terrific, look terrific, and it's a real "nothing can stop me" time.

Like others have mentioned, yes, I also notice feeling a bit weaker when pre-menstrual, but I just figure that's part of life. At my strongest by far the weeks after my period leading up to and including ovulation - it especially makes a difference for any endurance work I have to do.

It's interesting to track all this stuff - I do, I'm compulsive like that - and to see the differences. I'm not ready to compete yet - it's a goal for 2014 - but I'll be interested to see how being on a natural cycle affects my progress, as so few women seem to be. If I can just time it right, I'll be on a winner, hopefully ;)