training + diet + menstrual cycle

vongi

Periods piss me off :evil:

lol, well ok not really but wondering if i could get some advice/opinion on this

I love training and my diet is good (been seeing results, monitoring protein intake, carbs, timing etc) and so the routine will go good for 3weeks and then during period time I'll get lethargic and like most want to increase the calories abit. I used to just train hardcore (had secondary amenohrea, it came and went over the last 2years) but I want to keep things kinda natural and just let the body do its thing this time round since its startin to regulate itself. I think I'll tone down the training for now, cardio wise although im aiming for fatloss atm and focus on clean as eating for this week.

Hmmm. . .anyone else have different ways of managing their training around this time?

I actually enjoyed it when i didn't get it but I thought id listen to my body this time. damit.

Yeah I used to get quite rough around that time, quite sick too. So I went on the injection (I know many ladies object to this). Depo has worked really well for me. I don't get any of those heinous pains etc In saying that, there has been research explaining the negative effect it may have on muscle gains and weight loss so :shrug: :shrug:

Yea I was thinking about depo, not like i plan on having kids anytime soon, maybe ill just do an angelina jolie and adopt :pfft:

theres the hormonal side too, read somewhere that higher estrogen levels makes you more susceptible to storing fat, or was it progestrone?

I'm on depo too, so practically no periods for me and all I have to say about that is :D :D :D

:grin: lol

TMI Warning!

For about 4 years I haven't been using any form of contraception what with having 2 babies and I (and my poor husband) noticed MASSIVE mood swings and hormonal changes. Not only during my period but also when ovulating. I had issues with regularity and what not too. I am now back on the pill as I'm done with my child bearing days and definitely don't have the highs and lows like when I'm not on anything. lol

My point is that it's a lovely idea to want to listen to your body but if you're like me it only ends up screaming like a banshee till you shut it up with the drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of women are finding the contraceptive pill "yasmin" significantly better than other pills for controlling mood swings - the downside being it isn't subsidied. It also can control bloating for some women. It costs around $40 a month so it depends on your situation - for some women PMS screws up life, for others it's just a mild irritation.

For controlling bleeding / cramping lots of women are using the Mirena IUD - an IUD impregnated with slow release hormone. It lasts 5 years and is an extremely effective contraceptive (less failure rate than the pill or Depo) and significantly reduces bleeding. A number of women stop bleeding entirely. Weight gain can be an issue but considerably less than for Depo. The amount of hormone released is substantially less than that in the pill as the effect is localised so women who have emotional responses to the pill are often okay with Mirena. The initial cost is high (around $500 once you cover the cost of the fitting and the device) but if you factor in that you no longer have the ongoing costs of 5 years of repeat doctors visits, script fees, tampons etc... Where I come from it is free to Maori and Pasifika women (but only through one health service - so not everyone knows about this) so it may be in other places to. It's also free under via the public health system if you are currently considerably anaemic.

Research evidence gives some support to adding calcium and vitamin E, and to reducing caffeine, sodium and sugar and adding fibrous foods. Anecdotal evidence: adding evening primrose oil, vitamin B6, and magnesium helps some. Some women also claim a supplement (natural herbal) called Chasteberry helps. And enough SLEEP is beneficial.

For me personally: I definitely notice a decrease in strength during the PM phase. Less reps and I get all shaky on the final couple of reps which I never do otherwise (and which looks embarrassingly girly). It's unpredictable as well. I feel fatigued and also get into the blah "I need a rest" frame of mind... even the ironing / floor washing etc looks appealing.

Now I know my pattern I keep that in mind so I can pick up on when this is happening. I keep a training log - visual works for me so if I'm cheating it is really in my face. I pack my gear the night before and plan when I am going and what I am doing - then I am less likely to cheat. I don't beat myself up when I am in the gym and I can't lift what I can normally lift - if I am doing a focused and committed workout what I can achieve is okay. Sometimes I get shitty with life and I beat up punching bags. This appoach works 85% of the time; still a work in progress.

I notice an uncontrollable craving for fat, usually olive oil with corn thins satisfies it or nutella and corn thins. The worst thing for me is that nearly every year when I compete, I get my period the week before a comp which is such a pest, more for the bloating issue so I dehydrate the crap out of myself and all is well.

i havnt had my period for 10mths now, not on the injection, pill etc. i know my body fat is probably a littlt too low, but also know that plenty of you ladies are incredibly lean with still having a menstral cycle. i dropped the body fat quite quickly so wondering if any of you experienced this for a while and then your cycle came back normally once your body adjusted to the low fat level? don't get me wrong, not having to worry about that is awesome but i know its not good for bone density long term so should prob worrying a little more! ;P

norimin.

not doing good, breakthrough bleeding sucks.

Maybe its coz im polynesian? not good for me? I'm not sure, but I

think I'll head off it coz the fatigue and mood swings are really affecting training, i still go but it's half ass 2 out of 5 times of the week. not my cupa tea lol

Done a bit of background reading on it too and heard it can affect muscle gains in some women :think:

will report back on progress after a bit. had water retention with this one a bit; lol sucked!

But i do notice my thighs slowly coming down, might get further without the stalls from the pill (i realised my body gets £"*U$()P_ when it comes to messing up with hormones. nothing teaches yah better than a bit of trial and error :pfft: )

• 5 months later...

I am so with you ladies about the PMS thing! For me it isn't so much the periods but beforehand, sucks big time! Mood swings, cravings for junk and / or just wanting more volume of food, hungry all the time! And the tiredness is really bad, too, I could stay in bed all day and my training performace (esp cardio) really dips at that time of the month.

The funny thing I noticed, though, is not every month is the same! Some I get really bad, others I don't even feel it! Why on earth would that happen, as I don't change my diet / routine around much at all?

If anyone can shed more light or post stuff that worked for them, it would be awesome. I am not on contraception coz I can't take hormones for medical reasons, so that out for me. :(

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, I haven't found any miracle pill or formula but I think it's a matter of just taking care of your body around that time and factoring that in into training (depending on your goals, cutting or putting on mass you can work that into the intensity of training before and during period times).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm on the implant and I don't get periods at all. Its also the least amount of hormone you can put into your body because its the way you can most regularly release the hormone so smaller amounts are required. it takes usually 6+months to settle in properly (can get long bleeds before then) but I have usually about 2/3 months no period then a few days of spotting then another 2/3 months. Also its progesterone rather than oestrogen based which should be better for weight loss/bodybuilding.

However at times when I have lost/gained a lot of bf at a time it has kinda messed with it a little and might have made me spot a bit but could be coincidental! also think its responded a bit too low carb diets etc. I've also read that low carb diets are more likely to cause your periods to stop for any ladies who posted before who were wondering.

:nod: Hi Ladies, I just joined up so this is my first post. Please excuse me if I get it wrong. I work as a natural health practitioner, although I have a background in medical research. I've worked in women's health now for over 10 years and the whole PMT issue comes up every day at my practice. What is comes down to is generally one of two things. If your cycle is effecting your training then something is not right. If you are in good health you won't experience bloating, cramping, lethargy or moods swings. If you are then either you are severely overtraining and/or there is an issue with - most likely - your kidneys or your liver. Most commonly this can be very easily fixed with the appropriate herbs and diet. Hope that's helpful :-) Get in contact if you need to know more.