Give me strength, or give me death!

Phedder

Went a bit off path today. Went to the gym with a few mates who wanted to do bench, figured since I'd have spotters I'd go hard, and they wouldn't be there on Sat.

Weight: 91kg.

Bench:

5x60kg

5x70kg

5x80kg

5x85kg

1x90kg - flew up, compared to two weeks ago. I thought I'd loaded 85kg again and didn't believe it when I checked and it was definitely 90kg.

1x95kg -PB \:D/ Went up pretty damn quick as well, was stoked.

0x100kg - This was my goal for mid October, got stuck half way and mate stepped in. Had a good rest before next attempt

0x100kg - Much better than the first try, got 3/4 up and then went really slow. mate swears He didn't take any weight but his fingers touched the bar so I'm not counting it. Pretty confident I would have gotten 97.5kg.

0x100kg again. Mate swore I'd get it this time so I gave it one more go, left shoulder gave me grief from the bottom though and didn't want to risk it so told him to take the weight. Pretty confident I'll get it in 2 more weeks or so. Will aim for 105kg by mid October if so.

5x80kg

10x60kg

Mates wanted to leave but no chance I was going without doing squats :grin: So they headed home.

Squats

5x60kg

5x70kg

5x80kg

2x5x90kg

5x80kg

10x60kg

These felt great, every set wasn't too difficult, was getting depth fine. Knees caving slightly during the top sets though.

That was it for me today, felt strange only doing two exercises but I'd been there long enough, was starving, and have a lab report to start and finish for tomorrow :doh: Will be back into the normal swing on Saturday, could be interesting after todays bench session and a good friends 20th on friday night :pfft:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bit hungover and have aches and pains all over, so I'm going to make today a rest day and hit it hard and heavy tomorrow instead. Don't think Heavy deads and squats would go too well, and shoulder could do another day before bench so I figure it's better to wait a day so I can give it my all tomorrow.

A bit hungover and have aches and pains all over, so I'm going to make today a rest day and hit it hard and heavy tomorrow instead. Don't think Heavy deads and squats would go too well, and shoulder could do another day before bench so I figure it's better to wait a day so I can give it my all tomorrow.

:naughty: :naughty: how often is this a factor phedd???rarely or more often mate??

:naughty: :naughty: how often is this a factor phedd???rarely or more often mate??

No where near as often as it used to be :oops: Last night was the first time in 3 weeks or so I'd had anything to drink. I'm a lot more conscious of the effects it has on training these days, up until June or so It was every weekend, occasional Thursdays too. As is the student lifestyle I suppose. Now it's just for mates birthdays etc or blowing off some steam, of which last night was both.

good to hear bro I mean you training so hard It be a shame if you were pissing all your gains up against the wall from my experience hitting the piss all the time staying up all night not eating properly due to ha\ngover etc and training properly eating well and gaining lean mass and getting lean for summer CANNOT be done together least not properly good on you mate :nod: :nod:

Heavy day, definitely needed that extra days rest, and so glad I took it.

Bodyweight sitting at 91.5kg

Wanted to start with deadlifts, but what a surprise the only spot for deadlifting had a guy doing vertical rows with 30kg :roll: So I started with squats instead.

Squats;

5x60kg

5x80kg

5x100kg

5x110kg- knew I wasn't getting depth on these, struggled a bit.

5x105kg- better but still not quite good enough, 100kg seems to be my limit for good form and depth.

10x60kg.

Deadlifts;

5x60kg

5x80kg

5x100kg

5x120kg

1x140kg - PB \:D/ Went up reasonably quick, so I figured f*ck it, add another 10kg and see what happens

1x150kg - PB \:D/ :grin: Went up a fair bit slower but still wasn't a drag, think I could have pulled a 155 but decided I can try that in a week or twos time. Considering 160kg was my goal by mid october, I'm thinking I may have to change that :D

5x100kg

10x60kg

Back hyper-extensions to warm down

2x10xBW

Bench press;

5x60kg

5x70kg

5x80kg

2x5x85kg

10x60kg

Felt pretty good, no grief from my shoulder which was good. Would have tried 5x87.5 but due to Thursdays efforts thought I'll hold off on that until next heavy day, maybe even try 5x90 if I feel up to it.

Lying flat BB row;

5x40kg

5x60kg

5x70kg

5x80kg

5x60kg

Neutral grip pull ups

2x10xBW

Super stoked with the deadlifts, Never pushed myself that hard before on them. Think I'm gonna add some heavy singles to heavy days now, get used to lifting the heavier weights and eventually get them for reps.

Weight was sitting just below 92kg, may have to slow down the eating a little or there may be a belly to get rid of for summer :oops:

Squats - were nice and easy, getting below parallel no worries. Now to get there with 100+ :nod:

10x40kg

5x60kg

3x5x70kg

Standing OH press

5x25kg

5x30kg

5x35kg

5x40kg

7x45kg - Finally got the 5th rep without push pressing! :grin: Did two more reps with push press.

10x20kg superset

Calf Raises

3x12 3/4 stack

Chin ups

2x10

2x8

DB bench press followed by 1 arm DB row antagonist supersets - love these.

5x22.5kg

5x25kg

5x27.5kg

5x30kg

5x35kg - Couldn't find the 32.5s, was easier than I thought it'd be though.

5x30kg

5x20kg

1 set of dips as I was walking out of the weights room :pfft: 8 reps.

While I was at the gym post haste tried to deliver the protein I'd ordered but I wasn't home, so I've got a slip saying to call an 0800 number. I only have a mobile so can't call them, and no fucking way i'm walking all the way to south dunedin to their depot. Hope they try deliver again this evening or tomorrow :pray:

Cheers, I'd just be cheating myself otherwise. Don't want to go too heavy with poor technique and likely cause an injury also, over the 100kg mark I find I Start to bend forward at the hips a little, so that's my main focus at the moment.

The needle was hovering just above 92kg today. Officially the heaviest I've ever been :)

Squats - The rack in front of the mirror was free so capitalized on that

5x60kg

5x70kg

5x80kg

2x5x90kg - Depth was fine for these too, pretty sure I can get 100kg on Sat with good depth, 110kg still may be questionable with good form.

Chin ups/pull ups. I was swapping types the whole time.

2x10 regular chin ups

1x8 pull ups

1x9 close neutral grip chin ups

1x6 pull ups

DB Incline press

5x20kg

5x22.5kg

5x25kg

5x27.5kg

5x30kg

5x25kg

Lying row

5x60kg

5x70kg

5x80kg

5x70kg

5x60kg

Standing OH press

5x30kg

5x35kg

2x5x40kg

5x30kg

Deadlifts with vertical rows

10x60kg

8x70kg

10x60kg

Back hyper-extensions

2x10xBW

Looking forward to heavy day Saturday, should be PBs across the board for reps, hopefully a 160kg deadlift too.

I did an initial test when starting the program to find out some 5 rep maxes which were 85 bench, 110kg squat - Which wouldn't count to PL standard - short term goal is to get form and depth good at that weight before I continue upping the weight and I got 130x3 for deadlift, I now know I wasn't trying hard enough and could have gotten 5 reps that day. Since then I've done 95kg 1 rep on bench, failed on 100. Confident I could hit 97.5, if my flattie comes tomorrow morning I may try 100 again, otherwise ill stick to 5x5. Squats I've never tried 1 rep because I don't have a spotter for them, and measuring my 5 rep progress is good enough at the moment. Deads I hit 150 last Saturday, confident I could get 160 tomorrow as well.

The rack has safety bars so I know I wouldn't get trapped under the weight, but my form and depth start fading over 100kg, so what's the point in going for singles at say 130 when I know I won't be able to do it properly and safely? I may try loading the bar up a bit more than usual and doing 1/2 squats just to get used to the weight on my back etc, but until I'm more confident in my form I'm quite happy progressing slowly with 5 reps for squats, whereas with bench and deads I'm much more confident that I can keep it safe, even for 1RMs.

Flatmate wanted to come to the gym again this morning so I figured I'd try the 100kg bench again.

Bodyweight was just above 92kg again.

Bench press

10x60kg

5x80kg

3x90kg

1x95kg - went up real easy, made me confident for the 100kg.

1x100kg PB \:D/ :grin: Finally cracked the hundy, went up quick too. My leg drive was much better than last time I attempted it and it made all the difference. New goal for mid October is 110kg now.

5x90kg PB for reps. Shall be my top set of 5x5 next Saturday.

5x80kg

5x60kg

Deadlifts

5x60kg

5x100kg

5x120kg

1x140kg

1x150kg -previous PB

1x160kg - PBDefinitely went up slower than 150, but it got there. New goal for mid October is 180kg

1x150kg

1x140kg

5x100kg

Squats

5x60kg

5x80kg

3x5x100kg - form and depth was fine on these, but lower back was a bit iffy after deadlifts and I wasn't confident I'd keep form if I upped the weight so stuck with 100kg.

5x60kg

Chin ups

3x10xBW

Pull ups

2x8xBW

I've done something to my left bicep today practicing on the ropes, quite bummed about that. Feels ok when I'm moving and using it, but when I was sitting in a lecture, went to move my arm after 5 mins or so and it feels kinda seized and throbs. Doing it right now too because I'm just sitting around.

Anyway, Bodyweight was spot on 93kg today. Was surprised, as my eating the last 2-3 days hasn't been great, didn't think I'd been eating enough. Was wearing heavier track pants instead of shorts today. Gym was absolutely packed as well, usually I'd go in the morning but had the practice which did my bicep, so went at 4 after lectures, seemed everyone else had the same idea :doh: Took it quite easy as I wasn't keen on making anything worse, have a performance to do on either Monday or Wednesday. Hopefully all feels a bit better tomorrow.

Standing OH press

5x25kg

5x30kg

5x35kg

5x40kg - started getting a pin prick type pain in my shoulder so dialed it back.

5x35kg

5x30kg

Squats

5x50kg

5x60kg

3x5x70kg

Back Hyper-extensions

10xBW

2x10xBW+15kg

DB Bench press

5x22.5kg

5x27.5kg

2x5x30kg

5x25kg

Unfortunately it doesn't feel better today, much worse actually. Now it's a constant dull pain, had another practice and I avoided doing my parts on the ropes and rings, but even our basic shit still aggravated it. Pretty sure its the Brachialis muscle. I talked to my tutor about it, but our group was still randomly picked to perform on Monday instead of Wednesday :evil: Hoping that by Monday the pain should be pretty much gone, if not it'll just be an uncomfortable performance. Until then I won't be doing any upper body weights, so legs, lower back and abs shall be thoroughly worked Tomorrow and Saturday.