Give me strength, or give me death!

Phedder

Finally decided to start a journal to help me keep track of my training and progress, as well as help me stick to a program. I've usually trained with half intuition on the day and half planned, Going to start following a strength program based around 5x5 which i'll post up once I've finished compiling it.

Some stats:

Height: 183cm

Weight: 90kg today

post-7249-14166820742731_thumb.jpg

Better pics on page 2 and 10

Goals at the moment are;

Bench 100kg 1 rep Achieved 4th Sept New goal 110kg 1 rep

Squat 130kg 5 reps, 140kg 1 rep

Deadlift 160kg 1 rep Achieved 4th Sept New goal 180kg 1 rep Achieved 2nd November

Once/if I hit those I'll probably start a quick cut for summer. I'll definitely be cutting by mid October.

Todays session was testing myself to get an idea of where i'm starting from and how to configure my program. Only been Squatting and Deadlifting for roughly 2.5-3months, so expecting good improvements for those.

All exercises had a quick warm up with the bar. Sets x reps x weight

Squats;

1x5x60kg

1x5x80kg

1x5x100kg

1x5x110kg -PB \:D/

1x5x100kg

1x10x60kg

Deadlifts - Hadn't done Deadlifts for roughly 3 weeks due to a lower back niggle I'd had from tumbling, so was over the moon with these numbers.

1x5x60kg

1x5x80kg

1x5x100kg

1x5x110kg

1x3x130kg- PB \:D/

1x5x110kg

1x10x60kg with vertical row at the top of each rep.

1x10x40kg two 20kg dumbbells were laying nearby so I did some SLDL to warm down then put the dumbbells away.

Calf raises, 3x12 about 3/4 the stack.

BB bench press;

1x5x60kg

1x5x70kg

1x5x80kg

1x5x85kg- equal previous PB :grin:

1x2x90kg- PB \:D/

Lying flat BB row - This is done on a bench at about chest height with a barbell set up under it.

1x5x50kg

1x5x70kg

1x5x80kg

1x5x85kg

Standing OH press - definite weak point, struggle to keep the body straight.

1x5x25kg

1x5x30kg

1x5x35kg

1x5x40kg

Neutral grip pull ups;

3x10xBW

Was going to leave here but the dip bars are right by the door, so...

Dips;

2x8xBW

Mammoth session, absolutely stoked with all the personal bests :grin: kinda scared what I may feel like tomorrow though :pfft: I should have my program put together by tomorrow so I'll put it up then, going to follow a heavy day light day medium day template.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks :grin: I'm hoping it'll help keep me consistent, can't hurt right? Luckily I have an essay to write tomorrow (can't believe I said that :shock: ), so I have a good reason to sit around all day with minimal physical exertion :pfft:

Think I've got my program sorted, might make a few tweaks after I actually try each session but for now I think it'll do. I welcome any critiques, especially constructive ones :P

Tuesday (light day)

Squats 5x5 – 60kg to start, increase slightly in a few weeks.

Overhead press 5x5 ramping to limit

Dips 3 sets stopping 2-3 reps before technical failure

Pull ups/chin ups 4 sets stopping 2-3 reps before technical failure

Back hyperextensions 3x10

Ab work

Thursday (medium day)

Squats 5x5 – will ramp to 3rd set then repeat for the 4th and 5th set

Incline dumbbell press 5x5 same as squats.

Deadlifts 3x10 probably around 60kg, see how that feels then increase slightly every few weeks

Lying down row 5 x5 ramping to limit

Overhead press 3x5 80% of 5RM

Dips 3x technical failure

Saturday (heavy day)

Squats 5x5 5th set 100kg

Deadlifts 5x5 5th set 110kg

Bench press 5x5 5th set 80kg

All ramping weights up, 4th set should equal previous Thursdays 5th set, and 5th set should be 2.5kg heavier for bench, 5kg heavier for squats and deads. Starting at weights I know I can manage easily enough to hopefully keep progress going for a few weeks.

Pull ups and chin ups, 2 sets to technical failure each.

Calf raises 3 x 12

I'll strive to ALWAYS do those exercises and reps, but being me I may add in an extra exercise at the end of each session if I have the craving to do it. Nothing too big though.

Just a bit of running and general fitness today, ran the 1.5km to class in about 5 mins and then did a 15minute student led exercise which was american football inspire, a lot of quick footwork and up downs, push ups etc, worked out a floor plan for a performance with my group then ran the 1.5km back to the flat in 5 min or so again. Looking forward to getting back in the gym tomorrow, probably the only time I'll leave the flat, why do I always do assignments at the last minute :roll:

Light day today, felt too easy but its part of the program, just not used to leaving the gym with so much left in the tank haha.

weight was hovering just above 90kg.

Went with my flatmate today and he had wanted to get back quickly to write a lab report, so we kinda rushed it, bugger all rest between sets and exercises.

standing OH press;

5x30kg

5x35kg

5x40kg

5x45kg - had to push press the last rep to avoid leaning back too far

5x35kg - Knew I wouldn't get another set at 45 so dropped it back

Dips and chin ups with BW - no rest between them, went from chin up bar to dip bars and repeated.

Dips 9

Chin ups 12

Dips 7

Chin ups 9

Dips 5

Chin ups 8

Dips 5

Chin ups 5 :pfft: Was buggered after that, got the heart rate going for sure.

Finally a squat rack freed up so got in there and did

5x40kg deep as I could go, definitely below parallel.

4x5x60kg focusing on depth again. Got nice and low, still not pushing through the heels as much as I could though.

Back hyper-extensions;

1x15+15kg plate

Walked back to the flat, downed a shake and had a shower, then a nice juicy 250gm steak with some cheese and mushrooms on top :grin: Bring on heavy day Thursday! \:D/

Weights 3 times a week yes, because they're all focused on full body and compound movements I think that's sufficient for strength gains. Monday and Wednesday I have really basic gymnastics and dance classes which can be a fair amount of cardio and I usually run to and from them, as well as Wednesday night I go to a tumbling class for 2 hours to practice flips and spins and vaults etc, great fun! Thinking about actually swapping my heavy day to Saturday and making Thursday my medium day because Tumbling can be quite intense sometimes, and trying to squat and deadlift maximum amounts the morning after may not be the best idea.

Just got back from tumbling, definitely going to swap heavy days to Saturdays, not a chance I could do max 5x5 for squats and deadlifts after tumbling sessions. Did a lot of messing around with the mini tramp, front flipping for distance onto mats, Finally nailed the front flip from the floor as well. Basically a 2 hours HIIT session haha, 15m sprints then explosive jump of some sort, wait for a few others to do, repeat.

Felt quite beat up today after tumbling, and I expect most Thursdays will be this way so I'm going to swap heavy day to Saturday and medium day to Thursday. In line with this, today I did;

Squats - felt surprisingly good, Glutes are quite sore but still got below parallel no worries, looking forward to Saturday

5x50kg

5x60kg

5x70kg

2x5x80kg

Deadlifts with vertical row after pausing during lock out. Did more sets with more weight than was planned and threw the vertical row in because my right lower lat is killing me so other rows weren't going to happen today.

10x40kg

5x60kg

3x5x80kg- Had to use momentum from the deadlift to vertical row these.

10x40kg

Incline dumbbell press

5x20kg

5x25kg

3x5x30kg

Standing overhead press

5x30kg

5x35kg

3x5x40kg

Did some ab work, side planks and prone holds mostly.

I've got a biomechanics lab tomorrow where we are doing standing long jumps, whoever in the entire paper jumps the farthest gets a meat pack, I used to compete regionally for long jump in high school, albeit at 20kgs or so lighter :pfft: Hoping I can give it a decent shot and maybe get a feed out of it :D

Think I may have a touch of shin splints from yesterdays lab, the landings were quite hard. Walking to and from the gym was definitely not a pleasurable experience, but once there I got shit done.

Bodyweight was smack on 91kg :)

Bench;

5x60kg

5x70kg

5x80kg

2x5x82.5kg - last rep of the 2nd set was a bit of a grind, 5x85kg was easier last Saturday :-s

10x60kg

Squats;

5x60kg

5x80kg

5x100kg

5x105kg - depth on the last 2 reps may have been suspect, parallel at best, definitely not below.

5x100kg

10x60kg

Deadlifts;

5x60kg with vertical row after lockout

5x80kg with momentum vertical row

5x100kg

5x120kg- last rep didn't go up as quickly as I'd hoped, so dropped weight again

5x110kg

10x60kg with vertical row after lockout

Wasn't at my best today at all, will be able to up the weights next Saturday.

back hyper-extensions to warm down the lower back- 2x15

Chin ups - 4x10xBW

Dips 3x8xBW

Neutral close grip chin ups 2x10xBW

why do I always do assignments at the last minute :roll:

Haha, I feel ya pain bro. Last semester saw me sitting in the car on Union St trying to finish scribbling my answers onto the paper with 10 min to go for one of my assignments :pfft:

I do solemnly swear that this semester I will be much goodererer. Honest injun

why do I always do assignments at the last minute :roll:

Haha, I feel ya pain bro. Last semester saw me sitting in the car on Union St trying to finish scribbling my answers onto the paper with 10 min to go for one of my assignments :pfft:

I do solemnly swear that this semester I will be much goodererer. Honest injun

I never seem to have any motivation to do the work if it isn't urgent, But I get decent grades so I suppose I work well under pressure :pfft:

No DOMS anywhere today which I find quite odd after my heavy day, guess it wasn't heavy enough. :-s

Sadly I'm not very good, only been going for 4 weeks. Just trying to get better at flips and landings etc. Can't do a round off handspring back tuck or anything haha. Hoping by summer I can pull off a standing back flip though, would be awesome to pull one out randomly. Currently I still need a mini tramp and a mat for that one :oops: can front flip from about 1m high to the ground now though, was stoked when I got that without a mat.

This is the guy that invited me along to do it, makes everything look so easy!

What I can't do;

What I WILL be able to do *fingers crossed*

What I can do :oops: Was heaps of fun that day, we just tried flipping as high and far as possible, put heaps of obstacles in the way of the run up too, or stacked a mat on its end and try flip over it etc.

Cheers guys :grin:

Todays session;

Weight was ~91.4kg good to see it's gradually increasing, hope to hit around 94kg before I cut mid october.

Squat racks always seem busy when I first get there :evil: so OH press first.

Standing OH press;

5x30kg

5x35kg

5x40kg

2x5x45kg - Had to push press the last rep of each set, got stuck half way up both times. Next week I'll pretend I have no legs or something and get that last half rep up haha.

Squats;

5x50kg

5x60kg

3x5x70kg

Back hyper-extensions;

3x10xBW+20kg

Decided to try some decline bench instead of dips, so;

5x50kg

5x60kg

5x70kg

2x5x80kg

Calf raises;

3x10 - about 3/4 the stack

Chin ups;

2x10xBW

Pull ups;

2x8xBW

Finished off with some quick incline DB bench;

5x25kg

5x27.5kg

5x20kg drop set.

Did you immediately fall in love with the decline?

looking good btw!

Definitely felt quite solid. Dips are probably a more functional movement but I think I may alternate Decline and Dips now, just keeps things a bit different. And cheers :grin: