NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
julesblondel

anyone know about this course max college?

Hi, my daughter has signed a contract to pay Max college $8800 to do a twelve week personal trainers course with them in albany auckland. She also had to sign an acceptance criteria which gives them the right to ask her to leave the course if she fails to comply, yet with no refunds or release from the contract. The contract binds her to pay $107 per week for the next 78 weeks (she has already paid a $500 deposit), plus penalties of $105 for each late or failed payment, with no right of cancellation for any reason whatsoever. She is only 18years old, but old enough to sign legally without parental consent. I am very concerned as the Max international college for fitness professionals web site appears to be all hype and marketing and I see little evidence of informative course content. They also portray themselves as being very caring and freindly inviting interested people in for a chat or even a coffee, they greet you with "A super sunny day to you, or A wow day etc" but they get you to signthe most draconian paperwork and contracts I have seen. But I feel they prey on young people who have no experience of contracts, who get taken in by the friendly sales talk and don't realize what they are signing is so cruel. I want my daughter out of the contract before she starts the course in january 2011, But I don't know if she can get out? Does anyone have any experience with these people? How can this kind of thing be legal?

Hi, I did the max course last year part time which was a 6 month program. Yes there is alot of bullshit hype which is a little embarrassing but at the end of the day, the actual course content is A1 and a really good hands on course certainly helps the students absorb the content. Unfortunately they do the hard sell on alot of unsuspecting people and it is very expensive. I knew the Director and got a cash deal so it was a little different for me. However, I know of a student who couldn't graduate until the course was paid off which was pretty mean but I believe a few students has skipped off overseas before finishing paying for the course. I would say that out of the 20 students who were in my class, only a small handful are in the industry now, the coaches make out that it is super easy to do well and break into the industry, but the reality is a little different. I was already working in the field so for me it was more about getting the paper qualifications. The course is excellent and quick and I have found that after comparing my knowledge to others having done the CPIT and other courses, Max is by far the better.

ouch, i'd say your daughter got sucked in big time. MAke 1000's a week!become a personal trainer!They make it sound like once you finish the course then people are just going to walk into a full time p.t job. It takes alot of hard work and persitence to build a decent client base and more work to maintain it. If shes really dedicated and has the right personality and knows her stuff then shes got a chance at staying in it longer term ,if not then she will end up like most people off these courses and out of it within6 mths.

sounds like maxx's are ruthless with their contracts and payments so looks like she going to have to pay or be stung again for missing payment s etc... can't beleive the fee for missing a payment, just fucking crazy!

Hay mate,

Sadly, I think your daughter got duuuped. I can say that coz I was close to signing it too. It sounds too good to be true and I think it certainly is, the people that interview you obviously portray the business side of the quals that you get while taking the course but it's not a sweet deal if you think it's easy to make it in the industry. I find it unethical how they wish you to be bound by contract after only a small amount of reflection on it. Moreover, the course fee's are outragous (for a 12 week course. . .$8800 is worth 4 semesters at uni. . .and then some, heck she could've taken exercise and sport science at uni if she wanted at AU or the courses offered at AUT which is even cheaper than that).

There are a couple of reviews on here of the college by people who've taken the course, just hit it up in the search engine for the site (max college) and read for yourself.

By law, a contract is a contract. . . 18 year olds don't know the full extent of what their age brings other than the alcohol and clubbing. . . :doh:

hmmm, kinda glad I flicked it off and went running back to my law papers now, businesses like these should be slapped in the face by the beefed up arm of the law!

thanks for your replies, it's difficult to know what to do. She hasn't even left home yet, so doesn't even know how much the cost of day to day living is let alone paying the contract on top. She didn't realize contracts were irreversable and how binding they are. She was so taken in by Max College marketing hype that she didn't think it through. I feel annoyed with the law that this can happen. Kids arn't prepared for these things and don't realize that these people are driven to make money. Sounds like the course is a mixture of good and bad, and mostly teaching sales and bussiness rather than personal training. Has anyone tried to get out of a contract with them and lived to tell the tale?

Sounds like the course is a mixture of good and bad, and mostly teaching sales and bussiness rather than personal training.

To be fair, sales and business is more important to personal training success than knowing how to train people.

I'm just wondering whether the Consumer Guarantees Act is any help ? Isn't there a cooling-off period, or is the "a contract is a contract is a contract" really that water-tight?

just my 10 cents - i did this a couple of years ago and it was only $4k - the course was only 8 weeks and that was sufficient thank you very much.

If your daughter has some knowledge of the game she will get some more knowledge and do ok - if she knows nothing then she will come out of it a 'maxx college drone' - they are all about the money and the culture within the college is pathetic.

They cover what is needed to be reps registered and that is it - now it looks like they have added in their extra 4 weeks of business training and doubled the price - not really necessary but i am sure beneficial to someone who lacks any business acumen.

Being reps registered may get her a job easier in a gym, but it is otherwise not worth salt, I would never spend $8k at Maxx - that is unbelieveable

Unless you own a gym or a 'fitness college '( :pfft: ) there does not appear to be much money in the fitness industry except for a select few PTs.

I can't understand why so many people want to make this a career. :lol:

Making a hobby a career will just kill it for you... Most mechanics got into it because the like cars, i bet most of them don't want to know about oil, alternators, cambelts and the likes after 5pm.

/rant

Like you say, its not an industry you can get wealthy doing. Its a case of the busy get busier because peoples perception is that the busy PT's must be good because they're so popular, which makes it really hard for the newbies.

However, when you consider wealth is measured by how much you own and how much you owe, I would have to say that I don't know 1 successful PT.

Personally, I wouldn't be a PT if I was the "bread earner" of the family, for me its an excellent source of pocket money even though the rent I pay is fairly hefty. My home studio is where I am making the best money and its great fun earning and then spending it on more equipment.

I love the variety of people and problems and enjoy sending clients away feeling good about themselves.

I also went along for an "interview" and heard all about the "wow" days, and how fab they all were, but as an adult looking at a change in careers I saw through all of the fluff and I was more interested in actually getting some qualifications.

I to was handed a contract to sign on the spot, and when I said I would like a few days to think about it, and wanted to take it away to read I was shocked by what I was told next. The person interviewing me said that I couldn't take it away to think about, and if I didn't sign up right there and then (and leave a non refundable $500 deposit) I wouldn't get another chance at getting onto the course in the future. If your daughter was treated the same (and I suspect she was) I think it is worth taking it further, as no one should be forced to sign anything under those conditions especially when we're talking about so much money! I even went back to work and told them how easy I could see young kids getting wrongly sucked in! Not being allowed to take contracts away to have someone else look over is not fair play!

If Nik's experience is the norm, it certainly doesn't sound like an ethical company at all. :?

Have you tried contacting Consumer Affairs, Jules? They'd be able to tell you your rights, at least.

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/for- ... ding-act-1

Failing that, perhaps Fair Go might lend some weight - particularly if you tell them that others have had similar experiences.

http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/fair-go-feedback-726685

thanx everyone for your replys and comments, we (my daughter and I) have sent a letter to max college requesting a cancellation, on the grounds that she can no longer afford to uphold the contract, and as she hasn't started the course yet that Max college would suffer no financial loss if they simply gave her place to someone else. As yet we have heard nothing back but I will let you all know what happens next. Hopefully their bark is worse than their bite and they will grant her a release from the contract. If not , then I guess fair go or consumer law might be an avenue to try.

The person interviewing me said that I couldn't take it away to think about, and if I didn't sign up right there and then (and leave a non refundable $500 deposit) I wouldn't get another chance at getting onto the course in the future.

Pretty sure you'll find that this is illegal. As a control on "loan shark" operations, there is now a requirement that all aspects of financial contracts be explained to the signee, and that the opportunity is given for the signee to take advice from a third party prior to signing the contract. I used to be an agent for a finance company, and I had to comply with those rules.

Then again, if she's ticked the box that says "I have had time to read this contract, have had it explained to me and have had the opportunity to seek independant advice prior to signing"...she might be screwed. I would say that a company that operates like the one described here will have the smarts to ensure that every legal i is dotted, and every t crossed, to make sure their contracts are ironclad. It's unethical, but within the bounds of the law. If that is the case, you probably won't get much joy from consumer affairs, your best bet would be to appeal to their pocket, ie Fair Go, your local community paper, or possibly even your local MP. Anyone that could possibly bring public pressure to bear, and thus possibly effect their chances of signing up more gullible youths. Threaten to make so much public noise about them that their numbers will drop right off, and you have a chance of getting out of the contract to keep you quiet.

Hi - my partner also signed up with this company, we are in the process of trying to terminate this contract - have you had any luck?

Hi, my daughter has signed a contract to pay Max college $8800 to do a twelve week personal trainers course with them in albany auckland. She also had to sign an acceptance criteria which gives them the right to ask her to leave the course if she fails to comply, yet with no refunds or release from the contract. The contract binds her to pay $107 per week for the next 78 weeks (she has already paid a $500 deposit), plus penalties of $105 for each late or failed payment, with no right of cancellation for any reason whatsoever. She is only 18years old, but old enough to sign legally without parental consent. I am very concerned as the Max international college for fitness professionals web site appears to be all hype and marketing and I see little evidence of informative course content. They also portray themselves as being very caring and freindly inviting interested people in for a chat or even a coffee, they greet you with "A super sunny day to you, or A wow day etc" but they get you to signthe most draconian paperwork and contracts I have seen. But I feel they prey on young people who have no experience of contracts, who get taken in by the friendly sales talk and don't realize what they are signing is so cruel. I want my daughter out of the contract before she starts the course in january 2011, But I don't know if she can get out? Does anyone have any experience with these people? How can this kind of thing be legal?

Im going to get flamed for this but ohwell

Max isnt that bad yes its expensive and they do have a unique way of doing things yes I studied thea and at first I thought they were all nuts but when you actually listen they all have a huge background in health and fitness in many ways

The owner has trained olympic champions top level fighters and also an ifbb professional who competed in the mr olympia

but what they teach is not aimed at bodybuilders its aimed at the general public who hate the gym and exercise etc and they teach you how to give them a lifestyle that fits their schedule and how to get them in shape as quick as possible

they also teach you the business and sales side to personal training which is alot more important than training and what they do isnt illegal its a sales technique if it was illegal they wouldnt have been around for so long

they teach you to have a successful career as a personal trainer if you choose I myself and 1 of many that are enjoying running my own business and earning upwards of 100k a year easy

its not the place for everyone and you will have to take out of the course what you want and create your own philosophy to how you train clients etc but if your a hardcore bodybuilder dont bother going because your ego will stop you from learning

I sound like a preacher lol but just thought I would share my experience at max it was fun and I learnt heaps I didnt know about because I thought the only way to train anyone was hardcore bber style lol

The max college is a huge outfit over seas. my brother has done the course in albany, i highly doubt there contract would be flawed/faulty in anyway... big outfits like them just dont have the receptionist writing up the contract lol.

at the end of the day if u sign a contract then decide u want out too fucken bad! maybe this is a good lesson to ur daughter to read things and understand them b4 she signs them willy nilly.

to everyone else the max college is expensive because they get u into the industry very fast, they are strict with the course as well if u show up late to the class then u wont be let in. and good job.. if im there learning i dont wanna be interupted by ppl walking in when they feel like it. u might say u are paying all that money but so are all the others that got there on time, just an example anyway.

as pman said i totally agree, pt is not about knowing everything its about marketing yourself and max will teach u a good amount about this. if u want a course on how to perform a bench press etc go to aut for a year or two. max is great for ppl already with a good knowledge of training to get u into the industry quickly.

I was having difficulty writing an essay on the topic of history. Began to search the net. I found a site with a full analysis of various services, chose the first one that came across and left a request write my essay for me australia. I received a response on the same day .. Interestingly, the performer lives in the same city as me. We were able to meet and discuss everything. If you are interested, you can take a look here.