Harbour Fitness Queen St

Pseudonym

I recently joined the new Harbour Fitness gym in Auckland CBD. I’d been a bit dissatisfied with my old gym, and Harbour looked like a good alternative.

Let’s start with the most shocking part – the price. $10 a week. Then $11 dollars in a year’s time, $12 the year after, and so on. It will take me ten years to get to what’s now considered a “normal” price at other gyms. This is only an opening special, not their usual rate, but it’s a good deal for those who join soon enough.

The gym’s based in Queen St, just opposite Whitcoulls and beside the ANZ. They seem to be positioning themselves as a cheaper, friendlier Les Mills. Having only just opened, obviously all the gear is still brand new and sparkling, but the number of LCD TVs around the place playing Harbour’s in-house channel suggests they’re pretty serious about image anyway.

At this stage, only half the gym is open. A second floor is due to open in September, and it won’t come a moment too soon. Membership has skyrocketed over the last month, and after work it’s often hard to find a free machine.

The over-crowding is particularly dire in the dumbell area. Somehow they’ve managed to fit three benches into a 4m by 4m space. There is room – just – but it’s a little too cosy. And speaking of cosy, one short bench in the guys’ changing rooms is just madness for a large gym. I’m told a second, bigger changing room is coming with the September expansion, though.

There’s a pretty good range of equipment (love the lateral raise machine!) but there are some oddities. For instance, they’ve currently got four hyperextension frames, but no decline bench or calf machines. A second squat rack or cable crossover wouldn’t go astray either, and there’s a shortage of mirrors.

Most of the machines seem to be either Nautilus (which I generally like) or Hoist Roc-it (which I generally don’t). The Nautilus machines are solidly built and have a good range of motion for their exercises. The Roc-it machines are eye-candy designed to get the punters in the door. The seats are designed to tip back as you do the exercise, so a simple bicep cable curl becomes like riding a rocking horse. Very gimmicky, and usually not very well designed.

So equipment-wise there’s certainly room for improvement, but I’m hopeful that when the second half of the gym opens with more machines and more space, all these problems will be resolved.

Now, the PTs. If there are any duds in the system, I haven’t found them yet. All the ones I’ve spoken with are extremely friendly and helpful. Those that could give me good advice have done so tactfully and without trampling on my ego. I appreciate that! And those with less knowledge haven’t tried to share it. I appreciate that too.

But what I like best is the trainers’ readiness to step in and lend a spot. Other gyms I’ve been at have PTs walking the floor, and that’s all they do. The Harbour Fitness guys jump in, spot you, and offer to wait till you’ve done all your sets. Last night, one apologised for not being around to spot me (he’d had a client!). MichaelK, take a bow – you’ve picked a great bunch.

Speaking of attitude, there’s a strong bodybuilding culture in the members at this gym. There are some pretty big guys here, and they’re ripped. Very motivating.

So Harbour Fitness Queen St is a gym with potential to be fantastic. It’s not there yet (unless you can train off-peak, and don’t need calves). But it’s made a good start, and its future looks very promising indeed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to burst the bubble of any other gyms, but the rate quoted is standard rate, not an opening special.

When the 2nd floor opens, the weight area will triple,

now please come over to Glenfield and try a couple of our Rock it pieces, specifically the Shoulder press and the Leg Press, I'll personally give you a full free PT session to show you why I peuked no less than 6 times after a workout on the Leg Press.

Turns out if you stick you head deeper in the toilet, it gets louder not quieter as I hoped :doh:

Mr Natural, I think it's a 3-month minimum term, and from memory there was a one-off $30 joining fee.

Sorry to burst the bubble of any other gyms, but the rate quoted is standard rate, not an opening special.

Thanks Mike. I've amended my post above. (Although I'm sure when I joined it was limited to the first few hundred members - but maybe that was part of the sales pitch! :wink:)

Now as far as the Roc-it machines go, I find a lot of them have unevenly distributed resistance. On the rowing machine, for instance, it feels like there's a kind of "hump" as you bring the handles back, then as you come back further, the weight suddenly gets easier. Club Physical Te Atatu spent a small fortune fitting an entire circuit room with Roc-it machines a while back, but only half of them were any good, IMO. I particularly disliked their ab crunch machine - take the crunch too far and instead of providing normal backwards resistance, it would suddenly push forwards and fold you in half like a sandwich press! I'm happy to see Harbour Fitness don't have that one! :D

I'm not saying that ALL Roc-it machines are bad, but I'd choose a Nautilus any day.

Well having just recently tried Harbour in Glenfield I had my first go at a piece of Roc-it gear which was the leg press. I quite liked it, nice feel and not so hard on my aling back. I do prefer my hammer strength gear and will be interested in trying out the new hardcore gym when it opens at Glenfield, sounds good.

Sounds good, pity I'm not in Akl anymore as that would've been a damned sight better than where I was working out (Youthtown - because of the cheapness + pool).

Any plans to expand to Wellington MichaelK? :grin:

Not in the immediate plans. But never say never.

Now as far as the Roc-it machines go ..... Club Physical Te Atatu spent a small fortune fitting an entire circuit room with Roc-it machines a while back, but only half of them were any good, IMO. I particularly disliked their ab crunch machine - take the crunch too far and instead of providing normal backwards resistance, it would suddenly push forwards and fold you in half like a sandwich press!

I'm not saying that ALL Roc-it machines are bad, but I'd choose a Nautilus any day.

I would say they are shit really (Roc-it)- although the ab crunch IMO was one of the better machines :pfft: . Roc-it is just another gimmic to get middle aged house wives keen on resistance training ... oooh look at the sparkly shinny new bicep machine, that will go nicely with my pink ipod .... The equipment at Club Physical hasn't been in very long at all and the smoothness of the running gear is already starting to fade. None of it moves nicely any more and as you said Pseu - the resistance doesn't feel balanced. Yes you get a little joy ride during the movement but these things don't really give you an advantage over most other machines .... do you remember this

CardioGlide.jpg

have a few team members that have joined up too Mike .... have heard good things about the Queen Street gym. May have to go have a look in September if I haven't already been peer pressured into going to wolfs :grin:

Opti, you have no peers - you stand alone at the top of the mountain.

We have over 4000 members at the Glenfield branch and the Roc it gear is still going very well.

I think with all equipment it is courses for horses, personally I'm not a fan of the bicep curl, but it is one of the most popular pieces, so others must be feeling something I don't, having said that, the Shoulder press is awesome and the body movement actually has an advantage to it when using.

We'll have to catch up for another shoulder workout so I can show you how to maximize it's use.

When Steve and I were in Sydney looking at the Hammer Strength gear for Hardcore, there were two types of Hacks, I loved one and hated the other (uncomfortable on my knees) however Steve really like that one better, different heights and leverages. Horses for courses, so Hardcore will have both.

Go up to Birkenhead and try the knew SportsArt Hack Squat with variable back angle, Big Dave Walker was able to go full depth on it, and he has a ruptured ACL from many years back that has negatively effected his depth stability. Amazing piece.

Mike do you own this gym?

No I don't own Harbour Fitness, I in the management team as PT manager of the chain.

Opti, you have no peers - you stand alone at the top of the mountain.

We'll have to catch up for another shoulder workout so I can show you how to maximize it's use.

cheeky bugger :pfft:

..... Hardcore will have both. :shock: :clap:

wow - that's awesome. Big investment ---

Big Dave Walker
haha - you know your only going to further inflate his ego :pfft: Great to hear he's still pushing some good tin - not an easy road back after that op.

now please come over to Glenfield and try a couple of our Rock it pieces, specifically the Shoulder press and the Leg Press, I'll personally give you a full free PT session to show you why I peuked no less than 6 times after a workout on the Leg Press.

Had a session tonight with the big Mike!

Lets just say I am going to feel good tomorrow I am sure! Leg press = :pale:

:pfft: and it was only a light week and an introductory session into the art of legs :shock:

• 2 months later...

just adding my 2 cents.

I've been a member at Harbour Fitness Queen St for 2 months now:

Space is the main negative. It's very common to wait a couple times for equipment, space or a machine during an hr session after work. Also more often than not I end up changing in the middle of the mens bathroom because there is no space on the one and only (very short) bench.

At this stage, only half the gym is open. A second floor is due to open in September, and it won’t come a moment too soon.

The extra floor promised is still not open, and from a short chat with the staff tonight, won't be open until December. We'll see.

The positives for me are the equipment is all new and seems to be pretty good. The staff are all friendly and so far, so are the other members. Oh ... and the cost of membership is cheap :)

i was at the glenfield branch for 3 months, paid 150 cash up front. which aint a bad price. shit amount of space. seems like the mentality is cram as many ppl in the door and once theyve paid who give a shit. they have opened the hardcore so most of the wannabes from upstairs will be down there but i peared through window and f*ck me how many ppl can u fit in there b4 it becomes an OSh hazard... 10? maybe 11... lol

MK even said it himself. 4k memebers... wtf!

Darren O and Philli Nuku were in Hardcore on Sunday and the opinion was "wall to wall quality", as I said to D- this is what happens when bodybuilders get their hands on the cheque book.

Big Mike D was in the week before - loved it too.

approved by the best!

And Tom, if we can fit those guys in, we could probably find enough room for your frame too :wink:

Darren O and Philli Nuku were in Hardcore on Sunday and the opinion was "wall to wall quality", as I said to D- this is what happens when bodybuilders get their hands on the cheque book.

approved by the best!

And Tom, if we can fit those guys in, we could probably find enough room for your frame too :wink:

Hardcore is fine, heaps of space and not too many members and just about everything you need (cables / standing calf-raise and one wouldnt need to go upstairs at all). Although I think theyve relaxed the criteria to absolutely nothing to be able to train in there??

i was talking bout lack of space and over crowding during times when most of us train after work etc. when did they all train... middle of day? good call about bodybuilders getting hands on cheque book... if brains had got hands on cheque book they woulda leased a bigger premise.

MK, i did see all the good gear in there and big ups to you or whoever chose it as it is quality.

cheers.

approved by the best!

Hardcore is fine, heaps of space and not too many members and just about everything you need (cables / standing calf-raise and one wouldnt need to go upstairs at all). Although I think theyve relaxed the criteria to absolutely nothing to be able to train in there??

so whats the criteria I heard it was bench something do so many pullups etc??

The criteria has been relaxed to allow everybody in, the marketing unfortunately gave too firm a message and we still had plenty of members quite capable of training there perhaps scared off by the perception - Everybodys welcome. The belief is that the standard and type of equipment will attract the right trainer type and the more modest trainers will remain upstairs on the main gym floor.

The standing calf raises have arrived and are still to be put up, they are custom made wall mounted versions, like we used to have in Ellis Rd.

Tom you always trained in the middle of the day, do you have a job?

Space issue is being addressed as we speak you can't lease whats not there no matter how much money you have, all good big things take time.

The boxing gym is opening soon too, another something very special and the coolest part is that the traffic driving past will be able to see everyone smashing it up and sweating it out.