***IS MY DIET SUFFICIENT***

kswinkels

Hi everyone

I am just about to buy some more ON 100% whey but am having some mental conflict..... am I eating enough? why am i not seeing good results when i train hard? etc etc and am curious to hear your take on my diet.

Wake up - 1 Serving of ON 100% whey Gold Standard

Breakfast - 3 Weet Biscuits and a handful of sultanas

10:30 am - 1/2 pieces of fruit (mandarin, apple or banana)

Midday - 1 Roll/wrap with chicken and salad like veges (lettuce tomato carrot etc)

1:30 pm - 1 Roll/wrap with chicken and salad like veges (lettuce tomato carrot etc)

3:00 pm - 1 Roll/wrap with chicken and salad like veges (lettuce tomato carrot etc)

5:00 - 6:00pm WORKOUT

PWO - 1 Serving of ON 100% whey Gold Standard

7:00 pmish - Dinner with the family dinner sized plate ranging from 500 to 800 cals (healthy meals)

SLEEP....REPEAT

So that is my diet day in day out I am 20 years old am 6'2, 214 lbs and sitting at around 18% BF. I have done alot and i mean alot of reading but am reading many different recommendations from the different sources ie do I need protein shakes as well as my diet? Am i getting enough protein intake? etc etc

Do you guys believe I am eating enough or do I need to be eating more? Am i getting enough protein?

And lastly opposed to going and spending money on protein powder am considering putting that money towards protein rich meat instead...good/bad idea???

Let me know what you think.

Cheers Guys

\:D/

Dude your diets good from 12 midday until 7pm when you have dinner but then you have 15 hours from 7pm until midday the next day when all the protein you are eating is 1 serving of opti whey, surely you can figure out that that you probably won't get the best results eating like that.

EAT MORE!!! Flex alluded to it in his post.

Just an idea have 2 scoops of protein in stead of your usual 1 and get rid of the weetbix and have some rolled oats. If you must keep them in though have more, 3 is a bit of a joke! I was eating 12 when I was a young skinny fella :pfft: No it's not an All Blacks advert

lol at the title of this thread. as if it's going to attract more attention having the capitals and the ***'s.

in all seriousness, as Flex and Weener have said, you need to be eating more. eat more weetbix if possible. I eat up to 14 in one sitting :twisted:

the only downside of weetbix, as in most cereals, is the relatively high levels of salt. if you're concerned about salt intake, oats is by far a better option :D

if ur not putting on weight and u are tryin to put on weight its pretty simple wat uve got to do, no? just start eating more!!! its that straight forward! altho if ur at 18% bodyfat thats already quite high.

no real point spending ur money on the ON whey either, sure it might have some nice fruity flavours but were not here to be fruity in the gym :pfft:

look at some eatme whey protein possibly? it will definitely end up saving u some $$$

Hi everyone

5:00 - 6:00pm WORKOUT

PWO - 1 Serving of ON 100% whey Gold Standard

7:00 pmish - Dinner with the family dinner sized plate ranging from 500 to 800 cals (healthy meals)

SLEEP....REPEAT

\:D/

what exactly is the meal normally at 7pm bro just curious?cuz that is also pretty much ur post workout meal just wonderign what you get into yourself then as post workout nutrition is v.imp

My handful of 2c worths:

a. real foods beat artificial ones - use shakes only where really necessary - like breakfast with oats (Weetbix - good, but salty-as, equals water retention, amongst other things), or last thing at night;

b. Flex was right on - the gap between finishing dinner and breakfast is way too long, esp if you only finish the workout at 6pm. Yes, the post wo shake will help, but there's about eight or nine hours of non-feeding;

c. the 3:00 pm meal is too close to the 1:30, and too far from workout. Can you move it, or add in a PRE-wo shake or a can of tuna in water, maybe with some maltodextrose ?

d. How much chicken's in those wraps ? that'll affect things...

e. Oh, and you didn't mention whether you were trying to build muscle size, training for a sport like rugby, or burn bodyfat...

Firstly thank you to all the input guys its greatly appreciated aye.

I was thinking about it last night and that was a good valid point Flex thanks. So what I am doing now is the same except breakfast is going to be 3 eggs and 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter (I know im going to cop alot of shit for this but ill be honest) and then when I have my pieces of fruit to snack on at 10:30 thats when I will have my shake as well for the protein source with that meal. Is this better or would you suggest taking something like casein for gradual consistent protein intake overnight?

Thanks weener lad the ON is pretty expensive stuff though I just got what I read and heard was the bees knees, I know sometimes this isnt the best thing to do and everyones bodies are different but having read the nutritional facts of many proteins I figured this was the best for my goal of wanting to lose BF% and tone up and build some mass - although I dont want soooo much mass that I look like the incredible hulk. Ill try increase my weet bix though :D

Cheers Beef ........ ***AND YES CAPITAL LETTERS WITH LOTS OF STARS WORKS***.......at least it worked for trademe :shrug: I know salt/ sodium impacts water retention but I cannot stomach oats I dunno if its how I cooked them (microwaved) the texture or what but just taste like im eating some sort of glumpy glue lmao..suggestions??

Hey weajo196 I only take the ON as a means to get liquid protein/amino acids straight into the muscles/bloodstream PWO opposed to waiting for a meal to break down. NOTE: I use water for this very reason. And I am trying to eat more but its hard when your still living with the family (dads paying for my uni if I stay at home, dont ask me why lmao) and i was considering getting some muscle food by cytosport (50g protein 860 cals off the top of my head) instead of the ON (24g protein 120cal off the top of my head) just for the extra calories that I seem to need.

freestyla365 As I live with my family I am bound to what they eat really...well that and I cbf cooking after work and gym so it ranges but the worst meal would be homemade gourmet pizza base and all or burgers and the rest are fish dishes/bakes, chicken bakes/pastas roasts, red meats such as lamb and beef and some vegetarian meals such as canneloni lentil nachos etc. My Step mum does everything she can to balance the meals and tosses the odd bit of junk food in now and then as mentioned earlier.

teamfatboy Thank you for all your input I see your very busy on this site with all your posts. Ok so im going to ask or answer your post in the same fashion you have listed yours.

a. Thanks for that, I was having a shake just a little bit before the weet bix, but am now saving my shake for the 10:30 feed when I only have fruit and hence need the protein source. Is it best to eat later at night say have another meal before bed as I have been reading that it's not and just gets stored is it? is it not? and if I should be having a meal just prior to bed what would you suggest?

b. Mentioned earlier

c. I can space the meals out a bit more say have the meals at 12:30, 2:30, 4:30(half an hour prior to training), will have a look tonight and see what I can do.

d. Between the 3 wraps there is probably a cup and a half of chicken so half a cup in each.

e. And finally the one thing I didnt mention I am mostly sedentary I have a desk job only exercise I do is the gym everyday but I am looking to lose some BF% 18 is too high and also to tone up and add a bit of bulk

Again thank you to everyone for your input :clap: I look forward to all your replies and suggestions.

Cheers

kswinkels

Good response to everybody fella.

Just a thought if you are worried about money switch your protein to a cheaper but still as good product. Nutratech protein is all good and allot cheaper, go to bodybuilding.co.nz they are cheap and you will get your protein quickly. Then just keep your ON stuff to have on an odd occasion when you feel like something different.

Hennie may be the best person to answer your question. On the face of it nothing is different and the same can be said for most powders.

At the end of the day if you don't want to waste money on powder just eat more real food (chicken, tuna ect).

Often the ritzier protein powders often have extra supplements in the mix, like branch-chain amino acids (BCAAs), L-glutamine, L-Arginine, Beta-Alanine, et cetera... but really, what you are best shopping around for is the highest net protein per serve, lowest carbs (so avoid anything that says Mass Builder), and adjusting the diet to suit the calorie load.

You could do worse than try Eat Me - who have been known to provide some free samples if you email and ask.

Or, read the reviews in the Supplement Review section.

A last-thing-at-night meal's a good time for a shake, it's convenient. Casein powder (as opposed to whey) has some benefits, but really what it is doesn't matter as much as cutting down that 'fasted' time.

How much water are you drinking per day ?

Hey weajo196 I only take the ON as a means to get liquid protein/amino acids straight into the muscles/bloodstream PWO opposed to waiting for a meal to break down. NOTE: I use water for this very reason. And I am trying to eat more but its hard when your still living with the family (dads paying for my uni if I stay at home, dont ask me why lmao) and i was considering getting some muscle food by cytosport (50g protein 860 cals off the top of my head) instead of the ON (24g protein 120cal off the top of my head) just for the extra calories that I seem to need.

yea gud call on taking the PWO shake, its an efficient way to get that protein in. make sure ur getting ur post workout carbs as well mate! thats jst as important if not more so than ur protein. so make sure ur getting that in!

honestly tho abt that protein the bcaa intake from nutratech is 5.4g per serving and the intake from ON is 5.5g per serving so ur paying a hell of a lot more for nothing really extra (sorry i can't quite remember the bcaa profile from eatme off the top of my head). i guess a bit of food for thought here eh. what is pumping up the price and causing ur wallet to feel lighter is that ON is an international brand and nutratech is from around here. so ur not really gaining any benefits.

i know Hennie so i will get in touch with him for you. he's one of the top dogs at bodybuilding.co.nz and is very onto it in regards to his supplements.

what uni are u at champ?

Biggest difference between ON 100% Whey and Eatme & Nutratech is that ON 100% is a Concentrate and Isolate blend where the other two is purely a concentrate. Going into which is better between Isolate and Concentrate is another topic by itself but Isolate is generally more expensive but will yield a higher % protein. ON is the best selling protein in the world but both eatme and NutraWhey is a better bang for your buck and you will not be paying for labeling. Samples? will PM you for details.

Also what about some cottage cheese at night, good cheap anti catabolic protein. By the way Pak and Save now have Tuna in the bargain isle, medium size can for $0.99, you wont be doing better than that!

Cheers guys for all the feedback really helping me, another issue I am having is I am pretty sure I am running at a deficit calorie wise will calculate what im getting a day and post in the next reply....suggestions??

teamfatboy Thanks for that info am having a look around on eat me now...the problem is right now I import the ON direct from the states and get it for $101 for 5lb which I know is considerably cheaper then getting it here I paid about 120 for 2.26lb of it here :S and having a look at all these prices like the nutratech at http://www.bodybuilding.co.nz is $39 for 1 kg...meh i guess i can see the price difference 2.26 kg @ $101 of ON and $78 for 2kg of nutratech.

Also water wise, my bottle is like an extension to my arm it goes everywhere i go, I go through at least 3 litres of water a day.

Cheers for getting Hennie onto me weajo196 am having some considerations now about which protein is better value per serving, as for uni im studying at unitec why is that??

Cheers for getting Hennie onto me weajo196 am having some considerations now about which protein is better value per serving, as for uni im studying at unitec why is that??

ih was jst wondering ay. weve got a posse of boys down at otago uni gym who look out for each other so was thinkin we could of given u a hand if u were really lost!