Oats vs Weet-Bix

Phedder

I've noticed quite a lot of people here eat oats for breakfast and incorporate them throughout the day, I've always been a Weet-Bix kid, for years i've had it with milk, yogurt, and sliced banana for breakfast 95% of days. Just curious if there are any good reasons to switch from Weet-Bix to oats, what would the benefits/cons be?

Pros:

a) doesn't take time to cook them up like it does for oats

b) quick & easy cals, especially if you're in a rush in the morning

Cons:

a) you've got to be careful with sodium levels in weetbix. when I was younger I used to scoff down at least 20 a day, which is a fair chunk of your RDI for salt

b) taste like cardboard (unless you add something to them!)

c) they're not exactly transportable. Unlike oats, they're harder to take to uni/work as you need milk unless you're prepared to eat them without, and trust me they taste even more like cardboard without milk! :)

Believe me I know they taste like cardboard just by themselves, for an initiation I volunteered for an eating contest. We had to eat 2 dry weetbix, 2 raw eggs, shell included, cold mine pie and then skull a pint. I didn't win, But I was the only guy out of 6 whose bucket was still empty at the end of the competition haha.

Yeah Jigga I'd say I'm pretty pro with the knife and Banana now also, just flow perfectly.

I was however meaning are there any significant Nutritional benefits of oats over weet-bix? I suppose the sodium is definitely something to consider, I usually have 6-8 though, not 20...

Seems like oats are worth a shot, once my weet-bix runs out I'll buy a bag of oats and see how I like them. Still plan on keeping the yogurt and banana though. Thanks beef, those sites were a good read, wikipedia had some good things to say about oats also.

Anyone have any brand preferences for best taste/price/nutrition? Can't imagine it varies a lot but wouldn't mind knowing what to try first.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give Harraways a go, but probably without the protein shake. I'm on a bag of eatme strawberry at the moment, not a big fan of it really and doubt it would work well with oats haha. I like hard boiled eggs in the morning after breakfast.

My Sunday carb-up always kicks off with a big bowl of oats (Pams, homebrand, whatever's cheapest...price is another win for oats) with sultanas, choc protein, cocoa and milk.

New addition is a dessert made up of the above, but with a couple of scoops of ice cream :shock:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give Harraways a go, but probably without the protein shake. I'm on a bag of eatme strawberry at the moment, not a big fan of it really and doubt it would work well with oats haha. I like hard boiled eggs in the morning after breakfast.

mate eatme strawberry powder added to oats once theyve been in the microwave is gooood money!

I keep my Rolled Oats in a common area... (The Pantry), LOL :pfft:

No one will know if they are mine, the girl friends or the flatmates! Hell someone could have left them here at that party i had last friday!!! :clap:

This will be my last joke i make about the old common area

Thought it might make you laugh JimJim.

Good stuff. \:D/

• 4 months later...

Years ago I use to have weet-bix I would have five but now I have oats and I have hot during the summer and I don't mind if it is hot outside when I have my oats during the summer with one banana,two tsp of flax seed,one egg cooked in with my oats washed down with a protein shake =P~

Years ago I use to have weet-bix I would have five but now I have oats and I have hot during the summer and I don't mind if it is hot outside when I have my oats during the summer with one banana,two tsp of flax seed,one egg cooked in with my oats washed down with a protein shake =P~

Who does the cooking in your house gymrat?